Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Item is VAT exempt in the UK but not in Ireland.

Any link to that? There are no hair products that I can find on any of the VAT exempt lists for the UK?

Looks like CGHE Sales just aren't bothering to do the VAT properly for Ireland. I've discussed that several times with Amazons reps and they say it up to the company supplying the goods even though they are fulfilling them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Any link to that? There are no hair products that I can find on any of the VAT exempt lists for the UK?

Change your address to the UK - there is no VAT breakdown like there is when there is UK VAT.
    Looks like CGHE Sales just aren't bothering to do the VAT properly for Ireland. I've discussed that several times with Amazons reps and they say it up to the company supplying the goods even though they are fulfilling them.

Incorrect. I would perhaps cut the Amazon reps some slack as you are wrong about VAT quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

Sneaky, that was £19.50 last month, revolut is calling it €22.02 at the moment so fair enough I guess

Why is there no VAT removed though

I Though it was always better to pay in pounds

Change your address to the UK - there is no VAT breakdown like there is when there is UK VAT.

Incorrect. I would perhaps cut the Amazon reps some slack as you are wrong about VAT quite a lot.

That doesn't mean it is a product that shouldn't have VAT charged on it.

There is no VAT exemption for the product that I know of or can find.

If you check other products from CGHE Sales you will find that none have a VAT breakdown when added to your basket for a UK address.

Hence my statement CGHE Sales just aren't bothering to do the VAT properly.

That doesn't mean it is a product that shouldn't have VAT charged on it.

There is no VAT exemption for the product that I know of or can find.

If you check other products from CGHE Sales you will find that none have a VAT breakdown when added to your basket for a UK address.

Hence my statement CGHE Sales just aren't bothering to do the VAT properly.

My apologies, I misunderstood what you were saying. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

naughto wrote: »
    I Though it was always better to pay in pounds

Might be helpful to some, recent multiple purchases of the same item.

Paid in Euro on amazon €19.86
    Paid in sterling, bank €19.45
    Paid in sterling, revolut €19.33

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

Fire TV cube, refurbished for £64. Not sure if it is much better than the 4k but it does have an IR sender to control other non smart devices with Alexa.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RR6HQ6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6XPXK9QWR4E4CSYR986K

I bought this just now. The important part is the 2GB of RAM.
    I've been watching it for a while.
    https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07RR6HQ6L
    https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07MNBT68T
    Both at historical lows, and refurbished can be delivered directly to Ireland for some reason as well.
    Probably a hardware refresh coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I bought this just now. The important part is the 2GB of RAM.
    I've been watching it for a while.
    https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07RR6HQ6L
    https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07MNBT68T
    Both at historical lows, and refurbished can be delivered directly to Ireland for some reason as well.
    Probably a hardware refresh coming...

Any benefit in getting this over the firestick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭positron

Fire Cube has ethernet port (if your wifi / signal isn't strong enough, especially for 4k streams). It's also an alexa speaker device (like an echo dot).

Rest is all same as the Fire stick 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

Marhay70 wrote: »

It works as an echo as well, not sure the stick does or even if anyone cares.
    It can control your TV but the stick can probably do that too.
    It comes with an ethernet adapter is a bit of a plus, but not a deal breaker imo.
    With the extra 500mB (or more) of memory it should be speedier in theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

I have one, purchased it in Argos last year.

Speaker is fine for Alexa but not for music.

It can control a smart TV, mine is LG and turns on and off TV and also volume control with voice. I don't have channels tuned in so don't know if there are anymore options for the TV.
    You can control a Sky Q box if you have one. It will change to a channel using voice commands and can scroll up and down.
    Unlike the firestick, you do not need to use the remote control for these voice commands. It's completely hands free.

The rest, as above is pretty much the same as a 4k firestick with extra memory and connections including the IR adapter.

My apologies, I misunderstood what you were saying. :)

Another company that does the same and regularly has stuff in Lightening Deals on Amazon is ELEGOO Official - UK. Delivery to a UK address doesn't give a VAT break down and no VAT is removed for an Irish address.

I've chatted a few times to the Amazon Reps about ELEGOO Official - UK deals and thats where I got the info that how they handle the VAT is up to the seller.

I really don't know why I keep following ELEGOO Official - UK deals hoping to get a bargain it obviously isn't going to happen:rolleyes:

Reply to the No Chat Thread

RE: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADA-MAXIMUS-Self-locking-Adjustable-Aluminium/dp/B08B8JD3HX
    This is in my basket @ £7.99 but when I go to checkout it jumps to €24.50. Can't figure out why.

Looks like they are sold out or messing Irish customers around your £24.50 is the full UK price + VAT.

So they aren't sold out if you change to a UK address it will go through at the £7.99 deal price.

Looks like another deal that isn't available to Ireland - maybe Amazon charge the seller to much for delivery to Ireland to make it worth their while selling to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I will report back once I get it, but my understanding is it is faster and has better voice controls.

I have 3 4k firesticks and a Google Chrome cast with Google TV around the house. All great, I do love the 4k.

But with a new baby in hand all the time and the kids constantly losing the remotes I'd love to be able to ask Alexa to fire something on when I don't have the hands free.

I couldn't justify the £100 price tag but at this I took the punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

positron wrote: »
    Fire Cube has ethernet port (if your wifi / signal isn't strong enough, especially for 4k streams). It's also an alexa speaker device (like an echo dot).

Rest is all same as the Fire stick 4k.

Looks to me like it comes with an ethernet adaptor rather than built in ethernet? If so, you can use the adaptor with the 4k Firestick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Anyone know if/when they do an Easter sale? Want to get a fire tablet and they always seem to be doing deals. Have a voucher for .co.uk so I can't go to .de or anything unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Do the kindle covers ever go on sale ? Amazon seem to charge an excessively high price for them, like that’s where the profit is made ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Just had an alert from 3 .. Amazon Prime Video, Kindle Unlimited & Amazon Music Unlimited free for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Do the kindle covers ever go on sale ? Amazon seem to charge an excessively high price for them, like that’s where the profit is made ?

I got a brand new one on adverts for €12.50 posted. Try there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

They do. I bought my one the last time a couple of months before getting the kindle. I knew the kindles would go on sale and was waiting to get one but the cases were on sale so bought it and kept it until I got the kindle. It was reduced from £35 down to £26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've bought several covers on eBay, all perfect at a fraction of the price.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Anyone know if/when they do an Easter sale? Want to get a fire tablet and they always seem to be doing deals. Have a voucher for .co.uk so I can't go to .de or anything unfortunately.

Not sure about Easter but sign up for the daily deals email, they come up regularly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭feelings

Any reason why I'm not getting email alerts for the Amazon no chat thread? Seem to be getting it for other threads. Can't seem to figure it out - wondering if it's some BA forum specific issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,493 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

feelings wrote: »
    Any reason why I'm not getting email alerts for the Amazon no chat thread? Seem to be getting it for other threads. Can't seem to figure it out - wondering if it's some BA forum specific issue.

Look around the bottom of the page for the follow/unfollow button and make sure your following it.
    When you click the the follow button it normally gives you a choice of how often you want to be notified.

Yeah i've done that alright. have selected "instant" and nadda, not in spam. Getting other thread notifications fine. Just seems to be that thread.
    I have followed this thread just now to see if it's the forum or the thread. Cheers !
    Look around the bottom of the page for the follow/unfollow button and make sure your following it.
    When you click the the follow button it normally gives you a choice of how often you want to be notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

feelings wrote: »
    Yeah i've done that alright. have selected "instant" and nadda, not in spam. Getting other thread notifications fine. Just seems to be that thread.
    I have followed this thread just now to see if it's the forum or the thread. Cheers !

Did it work? :)

LOL. thanks... nope, didn't get any email! It's a strange one, i'll message a mod.
    degsie wrote: »
    Did it work? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Sometimes you have to visit the actual site once you have opened the email. Mails will stop until you do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭J2CVC

Can anyone tell me the exact price that the VAT reduction kicks in for Prime members? Looking at something for £23.84 and I don't have Prime at the moment.

• Advertisement

£19.13 for March I believe.

Advertisement