Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Interesting. I got my first delivery from Amazon themselves. Up until now it was An Post with a smattering of couriers from time to time.

I live 7km outside the nearest town that Amazon have been delivering directly to for months. The delivery driver said that I must have put my eircode onto the website. I did download the app onto a new device and confirmed my address. It always had the eircode though.

Anyway, it looks like I’ll be getting quicker delivery and weekend delivery now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Jesus it's so hard to find good or even regular quality stuff on Amazon these days. So much Chinese shyte on the site. Brands like HDFTIDA and KLPRYVG. Literally lads in Shanghai mashing random keys on the keyboard. It's 95% the type of crap you'd find in Dealz. Worse actually.

Btw saw an Amazon prime van for the first time here in Cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Couldn't agree more. So much tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

theres a deals page feedback link at the bottom of the todays deals page - but i doubt they'd listen to our feedback about cheap crap that they make so much money from....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You people must be doing a lot of bored browsing to come across all this Chinese cràp.

I log on, search for what I need, buy it, and log off.

Very seldom I come across any of it.

Then again, as I say, I don't wander up and down the (imagenary) isles looking for stuff to buy.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The good branded stuff is still there I get pretty much everything I need off Amazon

All quality equipment mostly in the tools and electronic departments

Very little rubbish finds its way here anyway

The odd bit of unknown chinese brand stuff I get too is usually good, I in once theres.liads of good reviews it's usually a safe bet

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

good reviews it's usually a safe bet

Thats when I start getting nervous if its a brand I don't know. The review system on Amazon has unfortunately become a joke.

One I was looking at today was for a fireproof case and it had 5 star reviews from a top 50 and top 500 Amazon reviewers. If you look the item up on youtube you can see just how fireproof the item is - the seams burn and the contents have no fire protection whatsoever.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

Agree with the above, I always read a lot of the reviews on all the star ratings and then double up by product reviews outside of Amazon if possible.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I'm in Arklow and a couple of my last orders are delivered by Amazon

One order placed Thursday night was delivered yesterday.

An order placed this morning is due to be delivered Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

Thanks for the reply, they are trying every excuse. Ill keep at them

• Advertisement

I thought you were safe enough with hundreds of reviews around 4.5 or higher

Was probably just my assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Nah, you'd nearly want to read every review and see what you think of the way it's written, Facebook is even worse. You could try sites like Fakespot or Review Meta to give you some guidance, they use algorythms to try and sort out the real reviews, with some success.

I do read them as well to see what's genuine

But I take the point if you can't trust them and need to check elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I usually start with the bad reviews & work my way up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

But I take the point if you can't trust them and need to check elsewhere

When there are hundreds of reviews I find the 3 star reviews and lower that have a trend in them are worth taking notice of. There's always the loony with an axe to grind that can be ignored but when several reviewers point out the same issue its something worth taking onboard.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I suppose that's a good point it would mostly be Chinese electronics where I'd be checking reviews

If there's a trend of poorer reviews it might indicate failure issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Also, make sure the reviews actually relate to the item you're planning on buying and not just a mish-mash of reviews for everything they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Many of those reviews are fake. A sure sign is when they include some long-winded story.

" I like to come home from the shop and have a cup of tea, and my wife and kids are out in the garden enjoying time in the sun of a beautiful summer evening. I also call my friends when I'm having my cup of tea" Just pure filler words. They were probably told by the seller that the review must be X number of words in order to get refunded the price of the item.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Often times you'll see that a seller has multiple items / a variety of items under one listing, or the far more unscrupulous practice of swapping a product on a listing for a totally different product. Find that happens a lot with these new brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

This account on twitter is worth a follow, they've been posting loads of great Amazon vinyl deals. Will end up costing me a small fortune...

https://twitter.com/VinylOffers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Use a website like Review Meta to filter out the paid for chinese reviews, after awhile you get an idea of genuine reviews. Copy & paste the Amazon product page you are looking at onto this website an a load of analytic data appears with a percentage or grading to say if the majority of reviews are fake or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

This. We were looking for an anti-bark collar with a remote control for the hound, and the one with the hundreds of 4-5 star reviews looks great until you actually start reading them, One read something like "these look great on my husband and son - very happy" (referring to cufflinks apparently), others were talking about bungees for hair. When you got to the very buried reviews of the actual collar, the vibe was that it was a steaming pile of shyte

Best bet is to keep pestering them, and push for it to be escalated. I'd ordered a high end mechanical keyboard with a good reduction in the 2020 black friday sale, and had the same nonsense - it was in stock, but they wouldn't ship. As brexit was going to bite on Jan 1 '21 I was keen to avoid issues with that as it wasn't at all clear what was going to happen at that point. I think I finally got it just ahead of the year end, but had to spend an awful lot of effort to get a result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i ordered a greyhound collar on wednesday afternoon and it was here (sligo) next morning....never got anything that quick before.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I bought a dishwasher. It was a fantastic price, but customer service said they're having big problems shipping bulky items to Ireland and it could take up to 6 weeks. Maybe the power washer is the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭plasterman

Have refunds been issued for the Prime Day debacle?

I asked before I bought and was told I'd be refunded. Since then I'm just given a copy and paste, they say up to 180 days. The item, the price it should have been and the price that was charged, were below the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was onto them last week and they said 90 days. Like talking to the wall frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

wondering how good is the fire hd 7" 2019 version now? - the newer versions will go on sale in black friday, so not sure if this is that much of a bargain even at £25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

I posted in the non-chat thread. My daughter uses it, she's 10. It's hard to comment on how good it is because it probably has to be relative to something unless you just want the specs.

For £25 you can't really go wrong in terms of value.

Might fit into a gift plan at a certain time of year for a good price.

Advertisement