Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Never heard of it before you mentioned it. And not like sites have a field for it so I'm sure the majority of people haven't heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Saw it on QI of all places. It was touted as being more useful for emergency services and the like rather than delivery drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Hi,

Wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem.

Tried to return an item today, but wasn`t given the normal pre-paid label option to use, only the option for a pay it yourself option and you get 9 pounds towards this. Never had this problem before, always got pre-paid. Had another item to return too, and got the very same thing.

The pre-paid label always went to portlaoise, but these labels are now for the UK, have they stopped the pre-paid to portlaoise?? And its going to cost far more then 9 pounds to send stuff back to the UK.

Had to send a few things back due to damage lately, so wondering if my account as been flagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My last return was for a big heavyish item back last October and I printed off a prepaid label, but that was after dealing with customer service and making a bit of a saga of it.

If its damaged I'd get on to Chat and ask for a prepaid label. Always worth going through CS on the off chance that they say not to return it and that you can keep it ;-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Thanks for the reply,

Yep spoke to someone in CS and she was saying she didn`t have an option for the prepaid label. Asked why that was, as i had never had this problem before. Tried on a return on a couple of other items and they all look to be the same, no prepaid, so im thinking my account has been flagged for sending a few items back lately or they have ditched portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I returned a garmin watch with a label no problem last week, it went to portlaoise too

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

I had to pay for a couple of recent returns before receiving a refund, but just now tried the return procedure for two other purchases and was offered prepaid shipping for both, so perhaps this depends on the product? It doesn't leave me very confident with purchasing large items though - shipping back e.g. a large screen to UK is going to cost a fortune should it turn out there is no prepaid return for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've had a few returns over the past 6 months, seems to be 50:50 whether they go to Port Laoise and free post or to UK and pay for it. I've found when returning to UK they refund you more than I paid for postage, so actually came out ahead there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

Dont think Ive ever returned anything- feel too guilty of knowing it will just go to landfill.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Sometimes u don't even need to return 🙂 they give u the refund

Why would something go to landfill ? They have warehouse sales that sell off the returned items if the boxes are damaged, other times they just resell it if it’s not opened 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭con747

There was a documentary about Amazon sending perfectly good items including expensive items to landfill because it was more cost effective or some other reason. https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-21/amazon-destroying-millions-of-items-of-unsold-stock-in-one-of-its-uk-warehouses-every-year-itv-news-investigation-finds

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭NATLOR

In my experience items fulfilled by but not sold by Amazon require you to pay postage for returns but sold and shipped by Amazon get the prepaid label.

Maybe that's not everyone's experience though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I've had to pay to return for the last 3 returns, all in the last two months. Usually £9 covers most if not more than the cost of postage. The problem comes with stuff that gets blocked in customs. I've had €70 speaker stands disappear in UK customs when using DPD to ship them back as their customs form is confusing so I put down Amazon's phone number when I was meant to put down mine. Customs call Amazon who say they aren't importing that returned package (which they aren't I am) and the package gets rejected and stops moving. Hasn't moved in a month from the UK. An Post are better as they take the details at the post office when you give them the package. They deal with the bizantine customs forms for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

Lots of reports out there of reporters tracking returns - most i saw conclude clothes go straight to landfill. Same for toys and much else especially if packaging damaged.

some items are sold on in bulk for cheap- but a huge amount are unsellable. A small amount is warehouse sale.

I just research fully all the items i buy online- it it doesn't work out due to my bad judgement i just suck it up. Items are extremly rarely actually sold faulty these days. I just feel bad sending back non faulty items.

“Roll it back”

I don’t send anything back unless it’s not working, I got sent a used garmin watch that wasn’t working so not a chance I was taking that hit

Tried buying some Lemsip sachets to be delivered to Belfast so can pick it up during the week and tried a London address as well and kept getting this, "You have reached the purchase limit for this item. We have changed the quantity to the maximum allowable. If the quantity has been set to 0, please delete the item (below the item details) to proceed." C/S have no idea why and just said try again in 24 hours. Anyone else have the same issue? It's the first time trying to buy it so no idea why it won't ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

How many packs did you try to buy? Same as if you went into a local Supermarket/chemist here, they'd only sell you 1 box due to it containing some crap or other

Just 1. I'm finding Amazon a bit of a pain the past few months and probably won't renew Prime when it's up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I just did a dummy order there for lemsip and it would have allowed me to order (to a NI address)

Weird, the only thing it could be is a family member who uses the account got a pack of Nurofen delivered yesterday when I checked my history.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you look at the product description for panadol it says

• This product is quantity restricted and a maximum of 2 products containing paracetamol, aspirin or ibuprofen can be bought per week per customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I think that it might have something to do with the NI protocol and restrictions on the shipping of medicines from Britain to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

£3 for a box of 10 Lemsip normal or Max Strength on Amazon

The thieves here are charging 7 euro in Tesco for the normal Lemsip, Boots charging 9.35 for the Max Strength.

Outrageous really, being ripped off on basics like Paracetamol in this day and age, the Pharmacies are a cartel.

Not related to Amazon but if you're buying paracetamol in a pharmacy they normally have larger 24 packs generics behind the counter for cheaper than the 12 packs of panadol on the shelves. Still nowhere near as cheap as the UK but normally half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭bromley52

A ton (1000Kg) of active paracetamol is roughly max €10,000 and a lot cheaper if bulk buying. A typical paracetamol tablet contains 500 mg of active. The profits on UK prices alone are insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can't buy anything from Amazon you might need repeatedly without signing up to a subscription with apparently massive shipping costs.

There's a French site I use occasionally, I'm sure there are loads,but products are a fraction,though postage is a tenner at least. Worth it if you're getting a decent amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Do all returns go back to each store that originally sold the item eg Garmin store? Or do they all just go back to Amazon who decide what to do with them. I remember long time ago returning some item and forgetting to send micro usb cable with it. Was asked to re-send to complete the return so I guess some returns are actually checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If it was sold by amazon or fulfilled by amazon it goes back to amazon. otherwise it goes back to the seller.

Advertisement