Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

curranbaz wrote: »
    Relatives got the Akaso Brave 7 LE 4 my son's 10th birthday & have 2 say I'm really impressed with the overall package! Comes with 2 slightly bigger capacity batteries & a charger as well as a ton of accessories!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0881FLJ1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MHR6VXFS6ZZAWJCXMP3X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For the price it's astounding quality! He wanted a GoPro but couldn't justify the cost as he's a bit of a clutz so would likely break it eventually! Added bonus of it being waterproof up to ~1m without the case which means he doesn't have to worry about using it in wet weather r dropping in water (within reason)! Gets very good reviews!

Thanks, its interesting you mention that other make and model as came across it yesterday and reviews online seem very good too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

MB05 wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't realise Amazon were still applying the 21% vat rate.

They aren't he is wrong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=GSF5MREL4MX7PTVG

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/current-vat-rates.aspx

Only spotted it when the Amazon rep I'm on chat with about a VAT refund it pointed out to me (I said the UK VAT at 20% should have come off an item and the Irish import duty aka out VAT at 21% should be added - he pointed out it was 23% that should be added so I checked and he was right).

Wake me up when it's all over.

They are still using 21%. You can check by adding something to your basket and using maths.

They are still using 21%. You can check by adding something to your basket and using maths.

So they are stating one thing and doing another?

OK so they do seem to be doing exactly that. It was hard enough explaining the issue to the rep anyway without arguing that the link he sent me was wrong.

So they are stating one thing and doing another?

They did not change the page you linked to when we introduced the temporary VAT rate reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

drogon. wrote: »
    Mpow MBits S Wireless Headphones

£14.70 (€17) after a £3 voucher and removal of VAT

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DKZM85T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought these last weekend for my mom, arrived today. Very pleased with them for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭shalom

Bought these last weekend for my mom, arrived today. Very pleased with them for that price.

Your a good son/daughter......well done you.......I'm proud of you without knowing who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Not a bargain I know but would I face import charges if I bought this item? Or is there import charges in any Amazon item? It’s a baby sling sold on Amazon but not fulfilled by them by the looks of it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Not a bargain I know but would I face import charges if I bought this item? Or is there import charges in any Amazon item? It’s a baby sling sold on Amazon but not fulfilled by them by the looks of it. Thanks.

I think you forgot to include a link but generally, if it's not fulfilled by Amazon, there's the potential for VAT charges.

I think you forgot to include a link but generally, if it's not fulfilled by Amazon, there's the potential for VAT charges.

I did indeed. Apologies. And thanks I didn’t know that.

Palm & Pond Mei Tai Sling - Black & Multi Polka Dot Pattern https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CHVX67Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_AE68D7WB7BJD4Q3VKKHF

• Advertisement

Its not Prime so you pay post and packing, will be sent by the seller and probably risk it being stopped by customs? Which is a real pain for an item of that value.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I did indeed. Apologies. And thanks I didn’t know that.

Palm & Pond Mei Tai Sling - Black & Multi Polka Dot Pattern https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CHVX67Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_AE68D7WB7BJD4Q3VKKHF

You'll get whacked for customs as is not fulfilled by Amazon, you also have to pay postage.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Thanks everyone.

Sometimes certain items not fulfilled by Amazon are available on another website/app from the same supplier a lot cheaper but only if you're prepared to wait the 30 days or so to get it.

I've recently ordered an item from Amazon and its coming from China but express post.

May be something you could look at.

You'll get whacked for customs as is not fulfilled by Amazon, you also have to pay postage.

I'd guess customs on smaller items is still far less than a 50/50 chance. My wife buys material from all over the world most orders are well above the €22 limit but I can't remember when the last time she had to pay customs. My son buys really expensive model kits from Japan and at worst he pays customs duty on about one in four of them.

Its a risk and you need to be prepared to pay but still a good chance you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thinkfun-Gravity-Maze/dp/B08PRLMBM6
    gravity maze , showing £342.96 and no delivery to my location .

John mac wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thinkfun-Gravity-Maze/dp/B08PRLMBM6
    gravity maze , showing £342.96 and no delivery to my location .

Click for the 2020 version.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Thinkfun-Gravity-Maze/dp/B00MNI6XD0?sa-no-redirect=1&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chrismcc409

Thanks I'll update the original

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Taken from the "No Chat" thread
    Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Rolson 28882 Screwdriver Set - 58 Pieces

£8.32

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JITIPFG?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Coming up "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months".
    I ordered a phone a few weeks ago with an estimated dispatch of April and when I checked an hour later the same phone was available for delivery immediately. I cancelled my order and reordered but wondering would things dispatch earlier if the delivery time changed on the product listing after purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

corsav6 wrote: »
    Taken from the "No Chat" thread

Coming up "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months".
    I ordered a phone a few weeks ago with an estimated dispatch of April and when I checked an hour later the same phone was available for delivery immediately. I cancelled my order and reordered but wondering would things dispatch earlier if the delivery time changed on the product listing after purchase.

You buy Rolson you buy again.

• Advertisement

Asus X540L wrote: »

I bought a set of Bacho spanners from Amazon warehouse and some b4st4ard had replaced all the Bacho spanners with Rolson ones. Amazon didn't want them back so they went in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

That sorts it so, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

trying to buy the dudios buds, alas neither the tax off nor the voucher will apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

gussieg wrote: »
    trying to buy the dudios buds, alas neither the tax off nor the voucher will apply

Worked for me, although the reduction doesn't come off until very last step in the checkout. Same with the tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The only legitimate reason to buy Rolson tools, is to have them close at hand, when people come to borrow, spanners, screwdrivers etc. :D

The only legitimate reason to buy Rolson tools, is to have them close at hand, when people come to borrow, spanners, screwdrivers etc. :D

The screwdrivers aren't too bad I have several sets of very similar ones from Lidl. Saves wandering 50 yards from the barn to the workshop and back to get a screwdriver. The barn is open on one side and has no security so I've a stack of cheap tools out there and no worry about someone stealing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where do you live?

fryup wrote: »
    where do you live?

Why do you want to say hello to the German Shepherds in the yard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Why do you want to say hello to the German Shepherds in the yard :D

Poor dogs, they can't have much job satisfaction, guarding Rolson tools. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I don't think I've ever knowingly bought Rolson tools but I have a few, probably picked up in job lots. I never found them any better or worse than other cheap tools, in fact I have a hatchet which still takes a decent edge after years of use.
    Fact is, you just can't trust anything you buy online, even the top brand names.
    I have bought Bosch, Makita, De Walt and other accessories which turned out to be pure sh*ite, obviously, with hindsight, cheap fakes but it's virtually impossible to tell that from a website and I find Amazon has been particularly bad recently.
    Lesson to be learned is, if you see a Makita cordless drill on sale for €50, it's very likely not a Makita drill.

Advertisement