Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

If anyone comes across one of those little mobile hotspot yokes that you throw a simcard into, can they point them out?

Don't even know what they're called!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Soarer wrote: »
    If anyone comes across one of those little mobile hotspot yokes that you throw a simcard into, can they point them out?

Mobile broadband router?

Here's a starter https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-Mbps-Wi-Fi-Hotspot-DWR-932/dp/B00OVJDCQ0/ at £50 but I'm sure you can do better than that.

Edit another a bit cheaper https://www.amazon.co.uk/E5576-320-Portable-Networks-Genuine-Warranty/dp/B081S5KRZ7/ seems to be unlocked?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Soarer wrote: »

This one may be of interest.

https://www.mymemory.ie/4g-lte-mobile-wifi-router-unlocked-hotspot-modem-150mbps-usb-white.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I never knew they existed before today, but think I might be convinced to buy a jaw exerciser! :eek:

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I never knew they existed before today, but think I might be convinced to buy a jaw exerciser! :eek:

Then get you partner a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portwest-PW40RER-Classic-Ear-Defenders/dp/B00AHBB4QG/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

USB 3.0 Hub, TechRise 3-Port Data USB Hub with 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Splitter RJ45 LAN Wired Network Converter Extension Compatible with Ultrabook, Notebook, Tablet, Windows XP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YFLGYZK

Just £4.5 after 60% off voucher

Ah man, I missed this one!
    Been looking for something like this for a long while.
    Hope something similar comes up again :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HCDMNVL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_C9CDT7NAQT51SZNCEJ9S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

£5.74 for infrared thermometer ! Cracking price !

Forehead Infrared Thermometer, AGM Non-Contact Digital Thermometer, Temperature Test for Adult, Children and Objects

I keep getting tempted by these as I think the thermometers are a great idea but then I start reading the reviews and checking sites like fakespot.com and this is what they say
    Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there is high deception involved.

But at that price I'm still in two minds, if they haven't all been sold by the time I make a cup of tea I might buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I keep getting tempted by these as I think the thermometers are a great idea but then I start reading the reviews and checking sites like fakespot.com and this is what they say

But at that price I'm still in two minds, if they haven't all been sold by the time I make a cup of tea I might buy one.

I ordered one, and I'll compare it to the in ear, and mouth ones I already have. It should be obvious then if it is any way accurate. If not, then it will be back to Amazon as faulty.

I ordered one, and I'll compare it to the in ear, and mouth ones I already have. It should be obvious then if it is any way accurate. If not, then it will be back to Amazon as faulty.

Post back and let us all know. I'm just suspicious of those devices as when I was first looking at them about 12 months ago there were so many obvious fake reviews that I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Post back and let us all know. I'm just suspicious of those devices as when I was first looking at them about 12 months ago there were so many obvious fake reviews that I gave up.

Yeah, I was the same and then prices shot up. The infrared will be a help with the kids if it is accurate as they sometimes won’t let the ear one be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Forehead temperature is way off from the internal temperature you want to measure. That typically is 36.6*C.

I have a medical thermometer, it has a few compensation settings as to where you're measuring and what readout you expect. The difference is often as high as 3 degrees, so be sure what temperature you should expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Nest Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm for £80

Anyone buy one from Amazon before? Some of the reviews raise concerns about Amazon having old stock so you don't get the full 10 years out of them before they expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Amazon could learn a lot of things in regards to workers rights and pay to their contractors
    event wrote: »
    They are great and I love if/when they do that. But it rankles a wee bit when you see the way they treat their staff, especially delivery and warehouse staff. They could dial down the customer service a bit and look after the people they employ

I don't disagree, but you could level the same accusation at the likes of Apple or any of those companies using far-East labour. Doesn't stop everyone buying their products though, no more than it stops us buying from Amazon.
    A lot of retailers here aren't exactly great either (zero-hour contracts, poor working conditions, no benefits etc).

There's a lot of companies that could go to the wall from those kind of terms too.

When buying local (or online IE stores) costs more and has significantly less choice (even the bigger/UK retailers) or just doesn't stock whatever-it-is at all, my sympathy and support dwindles rapidly.
    Even more so when poor customer service is added in. Maybe it's that I worked for several of the big American tech companies for years, but I have very little patience for the Irish "Ah shure it'll be grand!" approach.

But anyway, I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,032 ✭✭✭✭muffler

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I don't disagree, but you could level the same accusation at the likes of Apple or any of those companies using far-East labour. Doesn't stop everyone buying their products though, no more than it stops us buying from Amazon.
    A lot of retailers here aren't exactly great either (zero-hour contracts, poor working conditions, no benefits etc).

When buying local (or online IE stores) costs more and has significantly less choice (even the bigger/UK retailers) or just doesn't stock whatever-it-is at all, my sympathy and support dwindles rapidly.
    Even more so when poor customer service is added in. Maybe it's that I worked for several of the big American tech companies for years, but I have very little patience for the Irish "Ah shure it'll be grand!" approach.

But anyway, I digress.
    Great stuff! But what about the bargains :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

muffler wrote: »
    Great stuff! But what about the bargains :rolleyes:

Surely chat in the chat thread isn't forbidden? (Or have posts been moved here from the non chat thread?)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,489 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Surely chat in the chat thread isn't forbidden? (Or have posts been moved here from the non chat thread?)

No. Chat posts in no chat thread get deleted and a warning issued. We get a lot of reports every time someone chats in that thread.

No one moves post from the non chat thread you just get your post is deleted and you get an infraction (warning first but its far to easy to end up posting in the no chat thread if someone else has already started :o).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The main problem I have with the bargains thread is people posting products that you can buy cheaper locally... ridiculous at times tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 46,032 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Surely chat in the chat thread isn't forbidden?
    Of course its not but the thread is about Amazon Prime bargains and I fail to see how some previous comments/posts have anything to do with the topic. Anyhow thats my 2c worth. :)

The main problem I have with the bargains thread is people posting products that you can buy cheaper locally... ridiculous at times tbh

Examples?

• Advertisement

Examples?

Toilet paper, mens body wash are the 2 that spring to mind immediately...it gets to a stage where people post any rubbish because they believe it's a bargain
    You can't post on thread to call it out as you'll get carded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Toilet paper, mens body wash are the 2 that spring to mind immediately...it gets to a stage where people post any rubbish because they believe it's a bargain

If only there was a thread where you could...

If only there was a thread where you could...

It's not my job to police it..I've just pointed out my concern

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Peckham wrote: »
    Nest Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm for £80

Anyone buy one from Amazon before? Some of the reviews raise concerns about Amazon having old stock so you don't get the full 10 years out of them before they expire.

Bought five of them (wired version) in April 2019. I never really thought about when the 10 years would start or end, but the Nest app now tells me they need to be replaced by October 17th and 18th 2028. So I guess they were nearly 6 months old when I got them.

Where have you seen them cheaper in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Locally to who? not everyone has a tesco close by or don;t want the hassle of travelling... bargain to them maybe a bargain to another person,, not just the ones with the luxury of convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got the Nivea Women's shower gel, 6 bottles for £3.44. The cheapest shower gel I've found here is €1 50 a bottle in Dealz or the like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My wife told me to stop buying toilet rolls. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

My wife told me to stop buying toilet rolls. :)

Heard you're full of it!!! :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Toilet roll when compared to locally is substantially cheaper in the Amazon thread. You can only compare the Lidl €2.99 for 9 rolls to the puppy or the Regina.

Nivea body wash (hair, face and body). 6 bottles for less than €8. You cannot get that locally.

Advertisement