Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

OmegaGene wrote: »
    the andrex toilet roll linked on the no chat thread is pure muck, i would advise not buying unless you have checked the reviews

I requested a refund which I got instantly and they told me to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

took me a month to get refund on the andrex , and i didnt get them. mind you , back in the day, i did score a small monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Caranica wrote: »
    I got the Nivea Women's shower gel, 6 bottles for £3.44. The cheapest shower gel I've found here is €1 50 a bottle in Dealz or the like

about 70c a bottle in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

podge018 wrote: »
    about 70c a bottle in Aldi.

I meant branded. I'm very very happy with the price I paid on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Caranica wrote: »
    I meant branded. I'm very very happy with the price I paid on Amazon.

But how do you know you are getting a brand name when you buy on Amazon? If its fulfilled by Amazon and very cheap I'd always have my doubts.

Aldi and Lidl stuff is decent quality but really cheap stuff on Amazon with a brand name isn't always what it says it is.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

But how do you know you are getting a brand name when you buy on Amazon? If its fulfilled by Amazon and very cheap I'd always have my doubts.

Aldi and Lidl stuff is decent quality but really cheap stuff on Amazon with a brand name isn't always what it says it is.

Pretty much all shower gel that has been posted here is sold and dispatched by Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Any ideas when the next sale on amazon devices would be? Even a rough guess based on previous years. Not sure if they do regular planned sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

Pretty much all shower gel that has been posted here is sold and dispatched by Amazon.

I’ve bought 2 batches of shower gels over recent months on AMZ. A radox and a L’Oréal expert. On the face of it, both good deals but..... I’d swear both gels were shîte. You literally had to apply handfuls to get any ‘bubbles’ at all. And I love my bloody shower gel bubbles. Same goes for imperial leather soap. You literally get no lather from the bar. I remember years ago that IL was superb. The king of soaps.....for bubbles! I feel hard done by. With formula modifications no doubt to save a few quid, they’ve sacrificed the bubbles. There is a place in hell set aside for those responsible. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So you think Amazon are selling knock off shower gel dressed up as Nivea or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Any ideas when the next sale on amazon devices would be? Even a rough guess based on previous years. Not sure if they do regular planned sales?

Get onto keepa.com or camelcamelcamel, search for price history and draw your conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭daheff

Seve OB wrote: »
    So you think Amazon are selling knock off shower gel dressed up as Nivea or whatever?

Is it maybe seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭go4it

there's a certain market specific 'product adjustment'
    mostly along the same lines of the products in dealz : same well known brands, just for different markets - central/eastern europe ,middle east etc

Same like normal ( sugary ) coke/fanta has a different taste across europe ( not to mention other continents ) , other products are adjusting the ingredients to suit/match the market.
    would a bubble rich ( lots of suds ) soap be popular in a water scarce country , or a oily/heavy moisturising shower gel for a humid area?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

daheff wrote: »
    Is it maybe seconds?

One must realise that most retailers add a big markup when selling items like this in their shops, few years ago a friend brought me to musgraves and the price for buying in bulk is almost identical to what Amazon sells them at times. Amazon will hike up price automatically if they find X product is in big demand, but when you do manage to get a good bargain with amazon they are well worth it .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

There does seem to be some b-grade or counterfeit products buttressed by fake or paid reviews knocking about on Amazon alright.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Issey-Miyake-LEau-DIssey-Toilette/dp/B0009OAHVO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=issey+miyake+eau+de+toilette+for+men&qid=1620039897&sprefix=issey+miyake+eau+de+toilette&sr=8-2

sabat wrote: »

What is your evidence that they are b-grade of counterfeit?

What is your evidence that they are b-grade of counterfeit?

An awful lot of one star reviews that say exactly that and a Fakespot review grading of F perhaps?

Its quite possible the Amazon normally sell the genuine brand name and got caught out with a fake batch at some stage. But checking out the reviews someone looks to be trying to cover up the reviews that say its not genuine.

An awful lot of one star reviews that say exactly that and a Fakespot review grading of F perhaps?

Its quite possible the Amazon normally sell the genuine brand name and got caught out with a fake batch at some stage. But checking out the reviews someone looks to be trying to cover up the reviews that say its not genuine.

Yes but those reviews are for the item sold by all sellers and not just sold direct by Amazon.

There is as much chance of Amazon themselves selling a fake product as there is Tesco, i.e. next to none.

Yes but those reviews are for the item sold by all sellers and not just sold direct by Amazon.

There is as much chance of Amazon themselves selling a fake product as there is Tesco, i.e. next to none.

The problem with the good reviews which otherwise look genuine is that just too many of the customers knew about the bad reviews, bought anyway then came back to comment that the fake reviews were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

drogon. wrote: »
    One must realise that most retailers add a big markup when selling items like this in their shops, few years ago a friend brought me to musgraves and the price for buying in bulk is almost identical to what Amazon sells them at times. Amazon will hike up price automatically if they find X product is in big demand, but when you do manage to get a good bargain with amazon they are well worth it .
    Depends on what you are buying it Musgraves is bloody expensive and I find a lot of the time you’d nearly be better off in Tesco

The problem with the good reviews which otherwise look genuine is that just too many of the customers knew about the bad reviews, bought anyway then came back to comment that the fake reviews were wrong.

How many of the 4,413 reviews of this product did you read to come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement

How many of the 4,413 reviews of this product did you read to come to that conclusion?

4 pages.

4 pages.

So you've read less than 1% of the reviews and have come to an overall conclusion as to whether the product is real or fake?

And have you made sure to look at "most recent" reviews rather than the "top rated" reviews to ensure that you're looking at reviews in general and not just the ones that point out something bad?

When fakespot gives an F rating for the quality of the 4,413 reviews I think reading through 4 pages is enough.

I didn't check the dates of the reviews which if I was buying I'd do as sometimes you can discount some of them as being for a particular batch of product but a fakespot F would be bad enough to completely put me off.

One issue I have had with Amazon in the past is them selling old stock, until you tell them they don't know and as usual they'll refund once you tell them. The point here is that old badly stored perfume will go off after a few years so there's another possible reason for the bad reviews. However if that was the case someone had to sell Amazon the old stock as I doubt it sat in their warehouse for years and in the same way if it looks right from the packaging a buyer at Amazon won't know if something is fake until customers complain.

When fakespot gives an F rating for the quality of the 4,413 reviews I think reading through 4 pages is enough.

I didn't check the dates of the reviews which if I was buying I'd do as sometimes you can discount some of them as being for a particular batch of product but a fakespot F would be bad enough to completely put me off.

One issue I have had with Amazon in the past is them selling old stock, until you tell them they don't know and as usual they'll refund once you tell them. The point here is that old badly stored perfume will go off after a few years so there's another possible reason for the bad reviews. However if that was the case someone had to sell Amazon the old stock as I doubt it sat in their warehouse for years and in the same way if it looks right from the packaging a buyer at Amazon won't know if something is fake until customers complain.

It's safe to assume that >1% of people who bought that product did not buy direct from Amazon. Therefore, the fact that the <1% of reviews you read suggest the product is counterfeit suggests nothing about whether the product sold direct from Amazon is counterfeit or not.

Also, Fakespot just indicates that there may be many sellers selling counterfeit versions of the item on Amazon. It does not tell you anything about whether one particular seller, e.g. Amazon themselves, are selling a counterfeit product or not. Fake reviews are typically paid for by the sellers. If you are suggesting that Amazon themselves are paying for fake reviews, you might want to hand in your evidence to the FBI or check out the conspiracy theories forum.

It's safe to assume that >1% of people who bought that product did not buy direct from Amazon. Therefore, the fact that the <1% of reviews you read suggest the product is counterfeit suggests nothing about whether the product sold direct from Amazon is counterfeit or not.

Also, Fakespot just indicates that there may be many sellers selling counterfeit versions of the item on Amazon. It does not tell you anything about whether one particular seller, e.g. Amazon themselves, are selling a counterfeit product or not. Fake reviews are typically paid for by the sellers. If you are suggesting that Amazon themselves are paying for fake reviews, you might want to hand in your evidence to the FBI or check out the conspiracy theories forum.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2017/12/13/how-to-protect-your-family-from-dangerous-fakes-on-amazon-this-holiday-season/
    However, even “ships from and sold by Amazon.com” products are not immune to counterfeits, as these items too are often commingled into the general FBA stock:

All those products often get pooled together by bar code, regardless of whether they come from the brands themselves or other distributors. That way, Amazon can grab whichever product that’s ordered at the nearest warehouse to the customer.

That means even if you buy something that is technically sold by Amazon under the brand’s name, you might end up with a product supplied by a third-party merchant, which may or may not be the real thing.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-find-fake-products-online-shopping-amazon-ebay-walmart-2018-3?r=US&IR=T#1-know-whos-selling-the-product-1
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com: Amazon sells the product, so it should be legitimate. While this method isn't completely immune to counterfeits, as they can get commingled into the general stock, it's still your best bet.

For the last 4-5 years, Amazon have known which seller has sent in each unit of inventory, even if the inventory is commingled. So if you receive a counterfeit item and then report it, Amazon knows which sellers it came from and they can therefore quarantine that seller’s inventory while they investigate the matter. The fact that the reviews of this product are over a timeframe of years does not suggest that your links have anything to do with this product.

For the last 4-5 years, Amazon have known which seller has sent in each unit of inventory, even if the inventory is commingled. So if you receive a counterfeit item and then report it, Amazon knows which sellers it came from and they can therefore quarantine that seller’s inventory while they investigate the matter. The fact that the reviews of this product are over a timeframe of years does not suggest that your links have anything to do with this product.

If Amazon sell it themselves but take the stock from a marketplace seller then on popular items they could have cleared out the stock before anyone reports it. Great they can stop that seller in future but they have 2.5 million sellers worldwide and their business model is for that to dramatically increase, so someone else will be along doing the same before long.

Amazon can sell fakes themselves its less likely and its easy to get your money back but it doesn't matter what product you are talking about it can happen.

If Amazon sell it themselves but take the stock from a marketplace seller then on popular items they could have cleared out the stock before anyone reports it. Great they can stop that seller in future but they have 2.5 million sellers worldwide and their business model is for that to dramatically increase, so someone else will be along doing the same before long.

Amazon can sell fakes themselves its less likely and its easy to get your money back but it doesn't matter what product you are talking about it can happen.

Amazon have not been selling a counterfeit product over the span of 3-4 years and not noticed a trend of new stock from different sellers often being counterfeit. They would have fixed that issue quite quickly by only allowing that product to come direct from the manufacturer if such a trend existed for this product.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

go4it wrote: »
    mostly along the same lines of the products in dealz : same well known brands, just for different markets - central/eastern europe ,middle east etc

Same like normal ( sugary ) coke/fanta has a different taste across europe ( not to mention other continents ) , other products are adjusting the ingredients to suit/match the market.
    would a bubble rich ( lots of suds ) soap be popular in a water scarce country , or a oily/heavy moisturising shower gel for a humid area?

Would concur with this and especially for some items in Dealz. Radox shower gel from Dealz for example does not seem to be as concentrated as the same bottle from Tesco. AFAIK the Dealz/Poundworld model is all about sourcing products at their cheapest price anywhere in the EU and then selling them into the UK/Ireland. So a lot of their products are imported from Spain and eastern Europe which might have different formulas for their local markets. Some chocolate might taste different as its for a Spanish market meaning it has extra ingredients in it to stop it melting in a warmer climate.

Anyway I used that knife sharpener that was posted here a few weeks ago. Great little device and it got my main knife so sharp it just flew threw hard veg like carrots and turnips yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

go4it wrote: »

Would concur with this and especially for some items in Dealz. Radox shower gel from Dealz for example does not seem to be as concentrated as the same bottle from Tesco. AFAIK the Dealz/Poundworld model is all about sourcing products at their cheapest price anywhere in the EU and then selling them into the UK/Ireland. So a lot of their products are imported from Spain and eastern Europe which might have different formulas for their local markets. Some chocolate might taste different as its for a Spanish market meaning it has extra ingredients in it to stop it melting in a warmer climate.

Anyway I used that knife sharpener that was posted here a few weeks ago. Great little device and it got my main knife so sharp it just flew threw hard veg like carrots and turnips yesterday.

Advertisement