Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Silly question time.. Whats the benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I am the same. My invoice address is still Parcel Motel in the North. My delivery address is Dublin 5

For me I used Parcel Motel address as the billing address for the card. After that you can use any delivery address you want

I thought the card billing address has to match what it actually is, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

If the number, expiration date, ccv and continent matches, you have 99% chance of the payment going through.

Personally I use the "Name on the Card" to describe which card it is - My Curve, Wife's Revolut etc. Never had an issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Glebee wrote: »

Interest free credit?

I used to get loads of items that I could have bought with installments, but haven't seen it being offered in ages now.

My main address on the account is in Leicester, (as I used to get stuff sent there pre parcel motel etc, and a supplier I have put it in pallets going to me from there on a daily basis)

Nothing changed my end as regards address etc, but haven't noticed an installment option in months. No idea what makes one qualifiy for it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Glebee wrote:

At the time benefit for me was that I could rent movies on Prime Video. I haven't done that in a long time though.
    _Kaiser_ wrote:

I think if you randomly buy off a site then it might need to be exactly correct. This isn’t the case with Amazon, Play Store US & many more. I have a feeling that its a revolut makes it easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's been mentioned already, but those USB C cables are really nice!
    They must have been mad to get rid of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    At the time benefit for me was that I could rent movies on Prime Video. I haven't done that in a long time though.

I think if you randomly buy off a site then it might need to be exactly correct. This isn’t the case with Amazon, Play Store US & many more. I have a feeling that its a revolut makes it easier

Normally with PSD2, you need card authorization for online purchases, but Amazon seems to be taking responsibility if anything goes wrong. It's down to their philosophy to make purchasing as quick and easy as possible like the swipe to buy now.

It's similar to how a shop can bypass pin authorization for card purchases and just get you to sign, but it's all on the shop if it turns out to be fraudulent then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Normally with PSD2, you need card authorization for online purchases, but Amazon seems to be taking responsibility if anything goes wrong. It's down to their philosophy to make purchasing as quick and easy as possible like the swipe to buy now.

It's similar to how a shop can bypass pin authorization for card purchases and just get you to sign, but it's all on the shop if it turns out to be fraudulent then.

They recently started to require the additional authorization for higher values purchases, at least for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

grogi wrote: »
    They recently started to require the additional authorization for higher values purchases, at least for me...

Checking back most expensive recent purchase was £142 and next £101 pounds so far no additional authorisation. I'll curse someone (anyone) if they start doing that.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Jcb21 wrote: »
    Do you have to pay customs charges on that hoover if you buy it?

If i add it to my basket it shows charges of €49.16[/quote]

Not t for me? Weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

keano25 wrote:
    Do you have to pay customs charges on that hoover if you buy it?

Total cost would be £208.46

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shark-Corded-Cleaner-Flexology-HZ500UKT/dp/B08GLGJJ81/

RE: Shark vac linked above. Doesn't look like there is any extra to pay other than the usual Irish 21% VAT (which they are now calling the Import Fees Deposit) after the UK VAT is taken off so total £208.46 is what you pay.

Order Summary
    Items: £165.83 - (£199 - UK VAT at 20%)
    Postage & Packing: £0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £42.63 - (Irish VAT at 21%)
    Order Total: £208.46

• Registered Users Posts: 46,031 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is the Irish VAT rate not 23%

muffler wrote: »
    Is the Irish VAT rate not 23%

Yes you are correct. I keep making that mistake and if you do the maths the £42.63 Import Fees Deposit is more that 23% (nearly 26% so interested to know how the they work that out). But the total is still all you pay with nothing extra to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I keep making that mistake and if you do the maths the £42.63 Import Fees Deposit is more that 23% (nearly 26% so interested to know how the they work that out). But the total is still all you pay with nothing extra to be added.
    Maybe the extra £4.49 is vat on intrinsic postage value (even is charged at £0)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭bromley52

positron wrote: »
    AmazonBasics 16-piece dinnerware set for 4 - Reviews are decent and it works out less than €19.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0157FD02C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was taken from a review so I think I will avoid.

"The dinner plates are listed as 27cm so I bought them expecting them to just fit in my dishwasher. Alas they are nearer 27.5cm and slightly too big to let the washer arm spin. It’s a bog standard dishwasher so I would expect the same issue with most dishwashers"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

bromley52 wrote: »
    This was taken from a review so I think I will avoid.

"The dinner plates are listed as 27cm so I bought them expecting them to just fit in my dishwasher. Alas they are nearer 27.5cm and slightly too big to let the washer arm spin. It’s a bog standard dishwasher so I would expect the same issue with most dishwashers"

A lot of dishwashers, even big standard ones have an adjustable height top rack and people don’t realise. It might be worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

PSD2 just requires Strong Cardholder Authentication, which Amazon do.
    It doesn't have to be card issuer authentication. And it doesn't require interactive authentication on every transaction. See e.g.
    https://pay.amazon.co.uk/blog/faq-psd2-and-strong-customer-authentication#:~:text=How%20does%20SCA%20work%20exactly,the%20EU%20and%20the%20UK.
    it's similar to how a shop can bypass pin authorization for card purchases and just get you to sign, but it's all on the shop if it turns out to be fraudulent then.

Not quite - merchants could choose to ignore card scheme requirements for PIN or 3-DS authentication, and take the liability shift for fraud. They must comply with SCA requirements or risk regulatory fines being passed on from the banks (although I'm not aware of anyone being fined yet, as the enforcement dates kept getting pushed out due to COVID)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Did anyone buy these solar powered outdoor lights when they were on offer a few weeks back?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Q345WCB/

The missus expressed a desire to acquire some. All opinions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Did anyone buy these solar powered outdoor lights when they were on offer a few weeks back?

I've not bought that particular model but have purchased a few solar lights similar and think they are great.

Here are the ones I purchased:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082XWQW8Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZNJBMVD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most recent ones:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08Y6DZN7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

During the long daylight days they keep a good charge all night. I have some on the low setting all night in the back garden and some with only the sensor on when there is movement.

From no chat thread
    ablelocks wrote: »

If thats a bargain then so is SanDisk Extreme 1TB Portable NVMe SSD same capacity also £125.

While 3 c's.com doesn't list it being that low I didn't post it in the no chat thread as I'm fairly sure its been down to that price before.

There is a new version of the sandisk which has a slightly different carrying loop which may have been £125 last week anyway the new version isn't showing on Amazon atm.

Edit found the newer sandisk 1TB HDD https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RSH8YDJ/ £135 and the old version is £121 on the same page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

McMurphy wrote: »
    Interest free credit?

I used to get loads of items that I could have bought with installments, but haven't seen it being offered in ages now.

My main address on the account is in Leicester, (as I used to get stuff sent there pre parcel motel etc, and a supplier I have put it in pallets going to me from there on a daily basis)

Nothing changed my end as regards address etc, but haven't noticed an installment option in months. No idea what makes one qualifiy for it or not.

It still applies to certain Amazon home brands, like Fire tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

grogi wrote: »
    If the number, expiration date, ccv and continent matches, you have 99% chance of the payment going through.

Personally I use the "Name on the Card" to describe which card it is - My Curve, Wife's Revolut etc. Never had an issue :)

Genius :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Setanter

I did. Very bright, good value I think

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭feelings

I had some trouble a while back with not getting notifications from the no chat thread. I was able to fix that problem. But now I'm getting old posts coming through as the most recent notifications. Anyone got any ideas?

For example if someone posts on the thread...I get a notification but the notification email contains details from an old post. Typically 3 or 4 before the post that was actually posted. Make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,031 ✭✭✭✭muffler

feelings wrote: »
    I had some trouble a while back with not getting notifications from the no chat thread. I was able to fix that problem. But now I'm getting old posts coming through as the most recent notifications. Anyone got any ideas?

For example if someone posts on the thread...I get a notification but the notification email contains details from an old post. Typically 3 or 4 before the post that was actually posted. Make sense?
    This isnt the thread for that issue but just to advise that I and others are experiencing the same problems with email notifications coming through for posts that are 3 and 4 days old. I've raised this matter with the office so hopefully it will be sorted in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

muffler wrote: »
    This isnt the thread for that issue but just to advise that I and others are experiencing the same problems with email notifications coming through for posts that are 3 and 4 days old. I've raised this matter with the office so hopefully it will be sorted in the coming days.

similar here
    I see a new post in a followed thread but when I click through, it could bring me to anywhere in between the start of the thread and and the most recent post.
    I've raised the issue a couple of times, but never even got acknowledgement :(

• Advertisement

colhickey wrote: »
    Crucial MX500 1TB SSD for £67.64 (£69.34 delivered with the VAT/Import Fees dance)

Not for me? Until I choose Frustration Free Packaging which is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077SF8KMG

Advertisement