Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Anyone have a clue of dates? Using free prime trial now and will keep for prime day if its in June.

If all else fails then you can pay for a month or prime for prime day. Well worth it if you are buying several things under 20 odd euro for vat free.

Free trial is 30 days I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If all else fails then you can pay for a month or prime for prime day. Well worth it if you are buying several things under 20 odd euro for vat free.

Free trial is 30 days I think

If you buy from Amazon, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

CH3OH wrote: »

Arrived this morning (from a bargain alert a week ago). Great for the money but I'll keep it as a mouse to use with a laptop as its a bit small in my hand for everyday use.

Totally plug and play even comes with a long life AA battery fitted.

Edit> Its doesn't show it in the listing but the little USB wireless dongle stores inside the battery compartment.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

dulpit wrote: »
    You only pay VAT if the item is over €22 (that will change from July), and import duties only kick in for certain items when it's over €150.

So comparing items now to before Brexit:
    I've only bought one or two items from Amazon in the last year.

About the €22 - is that per item?

If you are trying to reach €20 to get free shipping AND keep it below €22 to avoid import duties, it's tricky, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

leck wrote: »
    I've only bought one or two items from Amazon in the last year.

About the €22 - is that per item?

Per shipment with shipping costs included.
    If you are trying to reach €20 to get free shipping AND keep it below €22 to avoid import duties, it's tricky, is it not?

Realistically you won't benefit from this tax optimisation if you don't have Prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Did anybody try the following bargain suggested in the NO CHAT thread:
    Microsoft 365 Family | 15 Months subscription | Office apps | up to 6 users | Multiple PCs/Macs, Tablets and Phones + Norton 360 Deluxe | 5 Devices | 15 months subscription

or

Microsoft 365 Family | 15 Months subscription | Office apps | up to 6 users | Multiple PCs/Macs, Tablets and Phones + McAfee Total Protection 2021 | 6 Devices

£50.99 - No Changes to price for VAT.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-s...QCUDB1BRG&th=1

I get the following error message: This item is not available for purchase due to geographical restrictions.

I've bought these before on Amazon so just wondering if anybody knows if the code can be used on a non-UK account or it has to be UK registered?
    thanks

yoshimitsu wrote: »

I get the following error message: This item is not available for purchase due to geographical restrictions.

I've bought these before on Amazon so just wondering if anybody knows if the code can be used on a non-UK account or it has to be UK registered?
    thanks

You are paying for a download so no one is coming to your door with a delivery so you can risk using any address you like. Only issue maybe if the download is geo restricted but I'd doubt that?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

You are paying for a download so no one is coming to your door with a delivery so you can risk using any address you like. Only issue maybe if the download is geo restricted but I'd doubt that?
    As I said I've bought this before so well aware you're getting an activation code and not a physical delivery. The question was specifically about if it would work over here or not...
    anyway, doesnt allow you to buy it even if you change your delivery address to UK and connect via UK VPN so they're really adamant on that geo restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

As I said I've bought this before so well aware you're getting an activation code and not a physical delivery. The question was specifically about if it would work over here or not...
    anyway, doesnt allow you to buy it even if you change your delivery address to UK and connect via UK VPN so they're really adamant on that geo restriction

Historically I have never found Microsoft products to be region locked.

I ASSUME you would be absolutely fine. Geo blocking is more of a getting to buy issue. So if amazon let you buy you would be ok, if they are blocking well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

No issue at all with these.
    I've purchased plenty over the years and stack them on my Microsoft account. Usually store the key in my amazon account until I've a year left on my Microsoft account and then stack the saved key. Never had an issue.

• Advertisement

Works for IE address if you choose Activation code in box but its more expensive and you pay Import Duty comes to £71.73

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭amacca

Would that smart watch recently posted be any good for heart rate training for running would anyone know.

Have a suunto but really don't want to put any extra money into something that's nearly obsolete and would rather not spend loads on a Garmin either if something like that would suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

listermint wrote: »
    Trend ? It's been like that across the site since January.

I've stopped buying anything from the UK over 22 bills. And will buy nothing from July tbh.

Majority of my purchases are home grown and EU only.

The UK have costed themselves out.

Really can't see this at all. Find Amazon have handled the situation brilliantly. Things are still mostly cheaper than elsewhere and arrive to Dublin in a day and a half. Returns are free and a breeze. Customer service is brilliant. Buying nothing because things are €1 more expensive, bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Really can't see this at all. Find Amazon have handled the situation brilliantly. Things are still mostly cheaper than elsewhere and arrive to Dublin in a day and a half. Returns are free and a breeze. Customer service is brilliant. Buying nothing because things are €1 more expensive, bizarre.

I think a lot of people mistakenly believe that they are paying more because they see duty deposit added on at checkout.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people mistakenly believe that they are paying more because they see duty deposit added on at checkout.

I wonder why they don't just call it Irish VAT instead of import fees, at least for items below €150 in value because all you're paying is Irish VAT, nothing extra. I think the term import fee creates confusion.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

thanks
    I bought it and it worked perfectly for me, added an extra 15m to my Office 365 subscription.

Now I don't know about Norton as I no intentions of using it.

My default address is UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

What is the highest value item people here have ordered on Amazon? I’m trying to buy a camera but they keep cancelling it without giving me any reason why. I’ve been into customer service a few times and every time they give me a different explanation but none of which are any help!

I wonder why they don't just call it Irish VAT instead of import fees, at least for items below €150 in value because all you're paying is Irish VAT, nothing extra. I think the term import fee creates confusion.

I would say import fees makes more sense as people who only use Amazon or shop online sparingly would be worried that they would have more fees to pay after their order reaches customs if it just said VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Smurts wrote: »
    What is the highest value item people here have ordered on Amazon? I’m trying to buy a camera but they keep cancelling it without giving me any reason why. I’ve been into customer service a few times and every time they give me a different explanation but none of which are any help!

I bought a phone last month, £799 I think. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

An RTX 3080 for £678

• Advertisement

Mine is a camera, have been saving for a while and keeping an eye on it, just over 1k, it is in stock and I'm a prime member, but they keep taking the order and cancelling it 48 hours later. Their customer service is useless, cant give any explanation. Cant figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Mine is a camera, have been saving for a while and keeping an eye on it, just over 1k, it is in stock and I'm a prime member, but they keep taking the order and cancelling it 48 hours later. Their customer service is useless, cant give any explanation. Cant figure it out.

ask for your case to be escalated to a supervisor/manager - i haven't had to in ages but when i had issues, they were explained and/or sorted within 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Have you a uk address to send it to?

ablelocks wrote: »
    ask for your case to be escalated to a supervisor/manager - i haven't had to in ages but when i had issues, they were explained and/or sorted within 48 hours.

Yea have done that now on two occassions - first time they told me they escalated it and to wait 48 hours and the item was still cancelled. Have escalated it again this morning and told to wait another 48 hours so will wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Can i ask where you source now as i have not found an alternative to Amazon.uk...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Can i ask where you source now as i have not found an alternative to Amazon.uk...

Think most people use Amazon.co.uk still - most still ships here, free shipping for prime or over 22 euro. ONly difference is that over 22 euro they remove the UK vat and ad irish Vat instead (import fees is the name they use) and the price rises slightly (small rise in fairness).

Still has between 2 - 7 day turn around on deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Because they might be selling to 27 EU Member Sates and it is is easier to code one generic name than 27??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Any chance it's your bank?

roro1990 wrote: »
    Nomis21 wrote: »
    £45 now. Still good value

Not really, because its normally only 40 quid.

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B083RS6D32

new.png?force=1&zero=0&w=855&h=513&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

I thought about posting about that item earlier because of the way Amazons partners manipulate the prices to try and make their deals look better than they are. As for the £80 RRP thats never been a runner.

btw that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the camera just that the dodgy chinese sellers will use any trick to sell their products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Spotted on hotukdeals

Taylor Digital Kitchen Food Scales

£2.62 for us, usually around £15, probably need to be quick with this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084MZTTRB?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Anybody else buy this and the price went up to 4.52 and then 3.60 at checkout

Advertisement