Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Someone posted about Amazon music extended trail from 1 month to 3 months.
    The link was for Amazon unlimited, but I also see a free 3 month trial for amazon HD music.

Is there any reason to pick Unlimited over HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Fair play to them, that was one of the best rants I have ever seen...

Absolutely epic, a haka performed before every post.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Can someone clear this up for me...

If someone copies and pastes the URL to a bargain on Amazon, boards get paid for being an affiliate/providing the link? I presume that's only if the sale goes through?

If I put up a referral link on the bargain alerts forum, (no idea how to find that!) I get paid something and boards gets paid nothing? Again presuming a sale goes through, not just the click through?

I've never felt more Grandpa Simpson in my life.

They put up a affiliate link and anything you buy on Amazon in the next 24 hours Amazon would give them a cut of or commission on. It doesn't even have to be the original product they linked too.

The Amazon affiliate cookie means how long do I have after a person clicks my link to earn a commission? The simple answer is 24 hours. So anything that person buys on Amazon in the next 24 hours you are eligible to earn a commission on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Now mods are chatting in the [NO CHAT] thread :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

degsie wrote: »

Who cares. Of all the things to be getting upset about I hardly think people wasting paper on the internet is one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Who cares. Of all the things to be getting upset about I hardly think people wasting paper on the internet is one of them.

Hold on....Posting here wastes paper?? and therefore bad for the environment ......!!!:o

If I'd have know that, I would have tried my personnel best, to always try to keep, my own post at the very least and wherever feasible and practical of course, more direct and to the point that I am trying to articulate, to the other members on the form here, when looking for advise, input and general debating of the various topics, current affair or general chit chat......:cool:

Oh dear.....I've just realised something I may have missed and have now ended up contradicting my own advice and thereby further damaging out precious trees and planet.......:(

I probable should not have quoted your post above? as this further adds to the space of my own post and reply is taking up.....:D

Anyway if anyone has an update on my previous question much appreciated ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Liaison wrote: »
    So if each time the link gets clicked they get 2.50?

No if loads of people used a really popular link to buy an item, say firesticks on sale. You might get 2.50 or a bit more total, few cent a purchase via your link - think item value may impact it.

Use of referral links stops boards making a small bit off being the redirect site.

Boards provides us a free resource that costs money to run and is funded through some ads and in part these links.

The ban on referrals is less to do with boards making some money to cover operating costs and more to do with the moral point of someone else doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Was tempted to report them for the fun of it. Haha.

See if they'd give themselves a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

A mod is shown as a mod all across boards but they're only moderators in specific forums. They're regular posters in the rest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don’t think they are.
    They could be a mod in another forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

They put up a affiliate link and anything you buy on Amazon in the next 24 hours Amazon would give them a cut of or commission on. It doesn't even have to be the original product they linked too.

The Amazon affiliate cookie means how long do I have after a person clicks my link to earn a commission? The simple answer is 24 hours. So anything that person buys on Amazon in the next 24 hours you are eligible to earn a commission on.

How can you spot an affiliate link because I reported what I thought was one (since they aren't allowed on the bargain alerts forum) but obviously wasn't an Affiliate link because it, and a few other from same poster are all still there.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

How can you spot an affiliate link because I reported what I thought was one (since they aren't allowed on the bargain alerts forum) but obviously wasn't an Affiliate link because it, and a few other from same poster are all still there.

I think it needs to have "tag" in the URL. If it just has "ref" then I think it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think it needs to have "tag" in the URL. If it just has "ref" then I think it's fine.

Ah right, Thanks

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shazaam

No if loads of people used a really popular link to buy an item, say firesticks on sale. You might get 2.50 or a bit more total, few cent a purchase via your link - think item value may impact it.

Use of referral links stops boards making a small bit off being the redirect site.

Boards provides us a free resource that costs money to run and is funded through some ads and in part these links.

The ban on referrals is less to do with boards making some money to cover operating costs and more to do with the moral point of someone else doing so.

The Amazon payout is percentage-based so depending on the item being purchased and the amount of items bing purchased the returns can be high.

There's no great morality at play here, it's business at the end of the day. Boards make good money from this site through ads, brand sponsorships and referral links.
    Also it's worth pointing out that they make money from every affiliate link on the site not just Amazon.

To the buyer it makes zero difference whether they buy through an affiliate link or not - the cost does not change.

Yer man rorro is obviously a few slates short of a roof but I would think that his reaction is proportional to the amount of money he was getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,031 ✭✭✭✭muffler

shazaam wrote: »
    There's no great morality at play here, it's business at the end of the day. Boards make good money from this site through ads, brand sponsorships and referral links.
    So how much do you make?

muffler wrote: »
    So how much do you make?

From what?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,031 ✭✭✭✭muffler

From what?
    referral links

muffler wrote: »
    referral links

Millions obviously! How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Has anyone got this? Considering getting it for my carpet, only 100£ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HRWMG4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_ZB1AWKX1CWCW5C7B20ZY

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Gumbo wrote: »
    I don’t think they are.
    They could be a mod in another forum.

Punish that mod for being a bold boy over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,877 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cookiee wrote: »
    Has anyone got this? Considering getting it for my carpet, only 100£ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HRWMG4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_ZB1AWKX1CWCW5C7B20ZY
    Save 25% and get one on Warehouse Deals. Return if not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

I've noticed some items are shipping for free on Amazon DE.
    I always thought there was a shipping fee, well anything I've previously ordered had a shipping fee anyway.
    Is this a new thing?

112143 wrote: »
    I always thought there was a shipping fee, well anything I've previously ordered had a shipping fee anyway.
    Is this a new thing?

Must be a new thing. The few things I've ordered from Germany have always had a hefty 8-10 euro shipping charge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Is this a new thing?

Could you provide an example? My recent, not cheap nor heavy order didn’t have free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Do people know about acumen.ie and the Bounce app? They do Irish surveys and it's quite easy to rack up Amazon UK gift vouchers.

I would count that as an Amazon Bargain alert

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Must be a new thing. The few things I've ordered from Germany have always had a hefty 8-10 euro shipping charge.

Hardly hefty when it's coming from Germany, and all that entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

Could you provide an example? My recent, not cheap nor heavy order didn’t have free shipping.

I was looking at painkillers last night after seeing the pills from Amazon US on the other thread.
    So I found few of them ship free on Amazon DE.
    Here's one.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Dolormin-GS-Naproxen-Tablets-Pack/dp/B00E5Y4L70/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Dolormin&qid=1621246396&sr=8-5

• Advertisement

I was looking at painkillers last night after seeing the pills from Amazon US on the other thread.
    So I found few of them ship free on Amazon DE.
    Here's one.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Dolormin-GS-Naproxen-Tablets-Pack/dp/B00E5Y4L70/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Dolormin&qid=1621246396&sr=8-5

That's not sold nor fulfilled by Amazon. So it is not different to buying off an Ebay seller who offers free international delivery, and has always existed on Amazon DE.

Advertisement