Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Isn't it so ****ing sad we have voted in ****ers that can even let the great unwashed enjoy tax free transactions below 20£

Is it only an Ireland thing or is it the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

112143 wrote: »
    Is it only an Ireland thing or is it the EU?

Not EU.
    Before we joined the EU, and particularly before the Single Market, I used to import small value stuff mainly from UK by post. Every single item was stopped, and duty and tax (think it was Purchase Tax back then, not VAT?) had to be paid in person at the Customs House, Dublin. Broke my heart - notification from P&T that a parcel had arrived. Bus down to Sheriff Street to start the process. No, they couldn't open the parcel to give me the invoice as my parcel "was the property of the Minister for Posts & Telegraphs until delivered". No, they couldn't even remove the shipping note from the plastic pocket on the front of the parcel - same reason. Contact the sender - get them to post a letter with an invoice. Take the invoice to Customs House, where you couldn't park a car cos all the spaces in the car park were for Customs officials. Look up the huge ledgers to find the right customs code. Pay the tax and duty. Certified Bank Cheque or Postal Order. No cheques, no cash, and nobody ever heard of credit cards!. Take the receipt and Customs Clearance form properly stamped back to Sheriff Street. Wait while they searched for the parcel again. Nightmare. And that was just the stuff they didn't confiscate like the books by Irish authors banned by the censor like Edna O'Brien and John McGahern - lost a couple of those. The Single Market got rid of ALL THAT ****E. So don't blame the EU for fixing a recent loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Isn't it so ****ing sad we have voted in ****ers that can even let the great unwashed enjoy tax free transactions below 20£
    This was mostly due to the Chinese stores. They had tax free and subsidiesed shipping (An Post/we paid for the shipping from AliExpress etc). This wasn't sustainable as our own retailers where being eaten alive. Unfair competition and it's good that it's coming to an end. It's madness to subsidize jobs elsewhere at the cost of our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This was mostly due to the Chinese stores. They had tax free and subsidiesed shipping (An Post/we paid for the shipping from AliExpress etc). This wasn't sustainable as our own retailers where being eaten alive. Unfair competition and it's good that it's coming to an end. It's madness to subsidize jobs elsewhere at the cost of our own.

And if our outlets offered the same stuff without the massive mark-up, and carried anywhere near the same number of options then they wouldn't be losing out to Amazon and Aliexpress.

I've seen the same cheap Chinese stuff in those "electronics" stores that have sprung up at significantly higher prices, or almost 10 year old laptops with 2nd/3rd gen i5's for hundreds of Euro. Daylight robbery of those who know no better!

Even if you buy "Irish" stuff online here it's often coming from UK HQ's anyway and/or with ridiculous postage charges, and it'll still take at least twice as long as buying from Amazon UK/DE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And if our outlets offered the same stuff without the massive mark-up, and carried anywhere near the same number of options then they wouldn't be losing out to Amazon and Aliexpress.

I've seen the same cheap Chinese stuff in those "electronics" stores that have sprung up at significantly higher prices, or almost 10 year old laptops with 2nd/3rd gen i5's for hundreds of Euro. Daylight robbery of those who know no better!

Even if you buy "Irish" stuff online here it's often coming from UK HQ's anyway and/or with ridiculous postage charges, and it'll still take at least twice as long as buying from Amazon UK/DE.

This all day long.
    Over the years I've spent a small fortune on Amazon etc for electronics & various other items because I couldn't find theses items in Ireland no matter who hard I tried. Even the few items I could find here had prices that would make you wince.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's typical of Ireland for people to be banging on about supporting Irish businesses that are just middlemen we don't need.

I was watching Ireland AM this morning and they were showcasing "irish owned" businesses....products clearly just shipping in from China and we pay a massive markup just to pay someone doing something I can do myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Got the six pairs of running socks for £6.66 delivered an hour or so ago, they seem to be really high quality stuff to be fair, will put them through their paces around the lakes later this evening.

Thanks to whoever it was spotted them!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

McMurphy wrote: »
    Got the six pairs of running socks for £6.66 delivered an hour or so ago, they seem to be really high quality stuff to be fair, will put them through their paces around the lakes later this evening.

Thanks to whoever it was spotted them!

On a Sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

vicwatson wrote: »
    On a Sunday !

Can't people go out of a Sunday?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

vicwatson wrote: »
    On a Sunday !

Yeah, Sunday deliverers have been a thing now for ages, I have prime (prime member for years) not sure if that matters to Sunday deliveries or not though.

IMG-20210530-204226.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    When does this VAT craic with amazon end can someone tell me please?

What do you mean by this? the removal of VAT for under 20 pound?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yeah, Sunday deliverers have been a thing now for ages, I have prime (prime member for years) not sure if that matters to Sunday deliveries or not though.

Not just a prime thing. Us non-prime plebs get sunday deliveries as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Not just a prime thing. Us non-prime plebs get sunday deliveries as well.

Is it a Pale thing though? Us down the best part of the country don't get Sunday deliveries (although have started getting bank holiday deliveries)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Amazon have absolutely nailed their delivery considering the added Brexit stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

dulpit wrote: »
    Is it a Pale thing though? Us down the best part of the country don't get Sunday deliveries (although have started getting bank holiday deliveries)

Greater Dublin area. Amazon's own delivery people do 8am-9pm 7 days a week. An post had been delivering Amazon orders 7 days a week here until Amazon set up their own delivery service. Only a tiny percentage of GDA Amazon deliveries go through An Post (all of my S&S orders do, bizarrely)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

The solar lights are the bees knees! Lighting up solid tonight. I’m tempted to order another set for the other fence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

The solar lights are the bees knees! Lighting up solid tonight. I’m tempted to order another set for the other fence

What ones did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

branners69 wrote: »
    What ones did you order?

The ones with the bee's knees, I'm guessing :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S1J7257/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I'm in Meath and get Sunday delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076VJYSYF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought one of these. No idea if they work. Cost 7.07 after VAT reduction.

(Shower Head)
    For what it's worth, these are great. I've had one for a few years, and I just bought one of these for my girlfriend.
    They really make a big difference to water pressure.

Definitely only for areas that amazon deliver to themselves and it may well be a greater dublin thing only.

Mr E wrote: »
    (Shower Head)
    For what it's worth, these are great. I've had one for a few years, and I just bought one of these for my girlfriend.

I could never figure out how those things boost water pressure. do they really work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I could never figure out how those things boost water pressure. do they really work?

The only thing that remotely has anything to do with increasing the pressure is Bernoulli's principle. But I don't know how that would be applicable here, maybe the water egress is reduced which results in higher pressure?

Mr E wrote: »
    (Shower Head)

I am wondering should I buy a second. I have a triton so I guess they work on it?

I also have a kids bath with just the standard head on it from the tap, water dribbles out, I expect no performance increase on that?

I'd be careful with that shower head. Few reviews/pics that would worry me.

Definitely only for areas that amazon deliver to themselves and it may well be a greater dublin thing only.

I've had them deliver a few times now at weekends here in the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

ineedeuro wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076VJYSYF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought one of these. No idea if they work. Cost 7.07 after VAT reduction.

Thanks for that €8.40, hopefully it works!!

• Advertisement

I'd be careful with that shower head. Few reviews/pics that would worry me.

Exploding shower heads is it? :P

Advertisement