Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

keano25 wrote: »
    Trying to buy echo dot 4 listed at 34.99 GBP.

Does this seem right?

Item 49.99
    Import fee deposit 11.50
    Total 61.49
    Discount 15
    Total 46.49 GBP.

yesterday, i was getting a price of £35.87 on this but now showing the same as you.

never got screen shots though...balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

ablelocks wrote: »
    yesterday, i was getting a price of £35.87 on this but now showing the same as you.

never got screen shots though...balls.

Just wondering will it sort itself at midnight or is that the price?

I got an email address from the chat agent yesterday to send examples of the various differences in pricing between different products etc - he didn't have a clue about how import duties were calculated and in fairness, i wouldn't expect him to.

But if we all submit examples by email it may highlight it to them to change how the import fees are calculated (but I am unsure whether it is incorrect or not - it may be that Amazon are following the rules properly)

what do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ablelocks wrote:
    what do ye think?

Duty is charged on the value of the item. If amazon show the discount or if they show 6 euros postage but then show 6 discount then duty is payable on the discount. If they reduce the price but don't show any discount then no duty payable on the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭POBox19

keano25 wrote: »
    Trying to buy echo dot 4 listed at 34.99 GBP.

Does this seem right?

Item 49.99
    Import fee deposit 11.50
    Total 61.49
    Discount 15
    Total 46.49 GBP.

No. They are charging vat twice. Import fee deposit aka 23% vat on top of UK 20% vat on the full price which should be taken off before calculating the tax.

UK selling price £49.99

Less discount £15.00
    Offer Price £34.99

Less UK vat £5.83 = £29.16
    Plus Irish vat 23% £6.71 = Total £35.87

Overcharge to Irish customers £10.62

• Advertisement

as far as i can see, this issue may only relate to prime day amazon products - for example, it doesn't affect the Crucial SDD that are on offer :

listed as £41.99, price for us is £43.04

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 34.99
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 8.05
    Order Total: GBP 43.04

same with a higher priced osmo pocket - listed as £229 - price to us £237

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 191.62
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 45.95
    Order Total: GBP 237.57

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bottom line is that you can only be charged VAT on the money you pay for an item so Amazon adding VAT and import fees on to £49.99 is wrong. They should be calculating charges on the reduced price of £34.99

30 day Prime Membership on Amazon.de is free....for me anyway, can't link because when i click for more info, it tells me i'm already a member.

Isn't there always a 30 day free trial on every Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

POBox19 wrote: »
    No. They are charging vat twice. Import fee deposit aka 23% vat on top of UK 20% vat on the full price which should be taken off before calculating the tax.

UK selling price £49.99

Less discount £15.00
    Offer Price £34.99

Less UK vat £5.83 = £29.16
    Plus Irish vat 23% £6.71 = Total £35.87

Overcharge to Irish customers £10.62

They aren't charging VAT twice, it's just getting a bigger discount if it is going to a UK address as opposed to an Irish Address. It's the same item price, plus the appropriate 20/23% VAT as relevant. It's taking £25 off going to a UK address, only £15 off going to an IRL address

To the UK
    Amazon.co.uk Order Summary

Items: GBP 49.99
    Total before VAT: GBP 49.99
    Estimated VAT: GBP 10.00
    Total: GBP 59.99
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 25.00
    Order Total: GBP 34.99

To Ireland
    Order Summary
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 11.50
    Total: GBP 61.49
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 15.00
    Order Total: GBP 46.49

Isn't there always a 30 day free trial on every Amazon?

no i don't think so - I've only seen it occasionally, and on .es and .it is only for spanish and italian addresses.

• Advertisement

They aren't charging VAT twice, it's just getting a bigger discount if it is going to a UK address as opposed to an Irish Address. It's the same item price, plus the appropriate 20/23% VAT as relevant. It's taking £25 off going to a UK address, only £15 off going to an IRL address

To the UK

To Ireland
    Order Summary

I wonder will they bring the item in line with the UK price?

no i don't think so - I've only seen it occasionally, and on .es and .it is only for spanish and italian addresses.

I'm 99% sure that first-time subscribers can always get a free 30-day Amazon Prime trial on any Amazon site and that many people take advantage of that by signing up with new email addresses to keep getting Prime for free.

I'm 99% sure that first-time subscribers can always get a free 30-day Amazon Prime trial on any Amazon site and that many people take advantage of that by signing up with new email addresses to keep getting Prime for free.

maybe, but i'm on my third or fourth free trial (over the last 2 or 3 years) on the same account....

maybe, but i'm on my third or fourth free trial (over the last 2 or 3 years) on the same account....

That is unique to your account. They will sometimes offer free trial membership if you have not bought prime in a while (or ever).

There would mention of it here if it was a general thing.

https://www.mydealz.de/gutscheine/amazon-de

To the UK

To Ireland
    Order Summary

that makes it a much more straightforward complaint to Amazon then - why is the discount to UK customers greater than to Ireland customers....

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Really disappointed in Amazon:
    FireHD 8 for UK address:

Items: £99.99
    Postage & Packing: £0.00
    Total: £99.99
    Promotion Applied: -£50.00
    Order Total: £49.99

For ROI address:

Items: GBP 83.32
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 19.16
    Total: GBP 102.48
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 33.33
    Order Total: GBP 69.15

Where is the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah looking the kindle paperwhite. It’s on offer at £80 but when you go to checkout it shoots up to£103.

Weird.

I've just put down the phone with Amazon customer support.
    I explained their problem where something offered at £49.99 should not be costing us £72.99.
    When they remove UK 20% vat and apply Irish 23% vat from the offer our price is £51.24 for a £49.99 product.
    They have agreed that what they are doing is wrong, have apologised and will try to repair the system ASAP.

Meanwhile, here are some offers published in the Daily Wipe article today:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9701093/Amazons-Echo-Dot-smart-speakers-HALF-PRICE-2021-Prime-Day-deal.html
    Nothing to buy until Amazon fix their calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭dougm1970

muffler wrote: »
    Wait until midnight :)

Edit/ just after seeing Amazon devices are already reduced for prime members

i'm not seeing that

• Advertisement

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i'm not seeing that

Uno dos tres cuatro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭dougm1970

yea...noticed them after i posted.....i was watching for price reduction on firestick 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I bought the Echo 5 with the Ring Doorbell last year..

.. Echo 5 isn't great tbh - not sure I'd recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Much difference between Echo dot 3rd gen and 4th gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

dougm1970 wrote:
    yea...noticed them after i posted.....i was watching for price reduction on firestick 4k

Already reduced if you order with Alexa. You must use addresspal for delivery though.

POBox19 wrote: »
    I've just put down the phone with Amazon customer support.
    I explained their problem where something offered at £49.99 should not be costing us £72.99.
    When they remove UK 20% vat and apply Irish 23% vat from the offer our price is £51.24 for a £49.99 product.
    They have agreed that what they are doing is wrong, have apologised and will try to repair the system ASAP.

Great stuff thanks.

Dot 4 with clock still at 55€... Only 34€ on Germany site but won't deliver here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Seeing all these deals on different amazon devices for "Prime day" and then seeing that we still get mugged off in this country when it comes Prime membership has helped in my decision not to renew my subscription in July.

Will probably save me a fortune in the long run as I will put more thought in to my purchases and stop buying stuff I don't really need too lol.

chasm wrote: »
    Seeing all these deals on different amazon devices for "Prime day" and then seeing that we still get mugged off in this country when it comes Prime membership has helped in my decision not to renew my subscription in July.

We don't get mugged off. We are a relatively small country using the Prime benefits of a different country, as do many other countries in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

chasm wrote:

For the most part Amazon prices haven't increased for Ireland since Brexit. In fact items under 22 euros have been 23 percent cheaper. The problem is that people see duty deposit & are convinced that they are paying more. The duty deposit is vat. We paid vat before Brexit. It's just that you can see it now separately at checkout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    . . The problem is that people see duty deposit & are convinced that they are paying more. The duty deposit is vat. We paid vat before Brexit. It's just that you can see it now separately at checkout

I fully understand what those import fees on my orders are.

Advertisement