Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Balls....fire tablet down to £80....after import duties applied its up to £108

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭archfi

A few people were hoping Currys would drop the price of the Fire cube during Prime Day but no dice so far.
    Still 129e (you can't get it in their shops either, delivery only)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

john_doe. wrote: »
    Right they don't ship here either. Seems no way to buy this thing. **** Brexit ..

Fire Cube Currently on .de for 60 euro - will that ship to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

If your near the border, and cant get it to ship to you, Use the option to collect at say a post office up north

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The first genuine bargain I try to buy and Amazon have f**ked up the VAT. Try buying https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX500-CT1000MX500SSD1-NAND-Internal/dp/B078211KBB/ and they don't remove it.

Ten minutes into checking for Prime Day deals and tbh I've given up. No extra discount on warehouse deals and failure to remove UK VAT on any decent Prime Day deals.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

I am getting full price when going to checkout on Fire Tv Stick 4k

I am shipping to a uk address?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It removes the UK Vat rate at checkout. Duty deposit is Irish VAT. You are only paying one VAT or duty. It's not much difference since before Brexit

I've plenty of experience with Amazon. Prime Day and VAT rate changes and there's clearly been a system malfunction with how Prime Day discounts are being calculated for Irish delivery addresses. A lot products remove the Prime Day discount entirely when you attempt to ship to an Irish address. It has nothing to do with adding of Irish VAT. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

ablelocks wrote: »
    30 day Prime Membership on Amazon.de is free....for me anyway, can't link because when i click for more info, it tells me i'm already a member.

Amazon.fr is free too, but .it and es are country specific

But what use is prime in another jurisdiction? Delivery fees are still required.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

why do people think vat/import charges should be removed bar on exempt items. This is the new normal when buying anything over 20 or so euro on amazon uk. Use the german french or spanish amazon until the proposed amazon.ie option actually becomes reality. Do not pay the extra charges on any UK site, it may be inconvenient but they voted for it, don't be a mug and pay it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Syferus wrote: »
    I've plenty of experience with Amazon. Prime Day and VAT rate changes and there's clearly been a system malfunction with how Prime Day discounts are being calculated for Irish delivery addresses. It's trying to charge UK VAT and then adding Irish VAT without removing the UK VAT. Disappointing.

This is not a Prime Day issue, it has been going on for some time on discounted products, as can be seen from various Amazon threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Jackben75 wrote: »
    why do people think vat/import charges should be removed bar on exempt items.

Because the UK vat is not applicable if items are exported from UK. You should only pay Irish VAT.

Amazon however are calculating it wrong. You pay UK VAT, Irish VAT on top and get some discount.

It is often cheaper to buy items without lightning deal (when tax is calculated correctly) than with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not sure if it was already posted but there's an additional £7 bonus for buying a £50 gift card.
    See the thread from HUKD:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/visit/thread/3736803

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I ordered some items yesterday and did think the import fee was higher than what I was expecting. Did some more digging and whoever mentioned the VAT (23%) being based off the original price seems to be correct.

I contacted support and they said the import fees would be refunded to my card... was a very quick conversation so not sure if they were just fobbing me off or if they've had lots of people complaining.

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    This is not a Prime Day issue, it has been going on for some time on discounted products, as can be seen from various Amazon threads.

Even if it is I’ve never encountered it myself before today despite making a prodigious number of Amazon orders this year, the strike rate with Prime Day deals to me hints at a systems issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I ordered some items yesterday and did think the import fee was higher than what I was expecting. Did some more digging and whoever mentioned the VAT (23%) being based off the original price seems to be correct.

I contacted support and they said the import fees would be refunded to my card... was a very quick conversation so not sure if they were just fobbing me off or if they've had lots of people complaining.

Impart fees/VAT are called duty deposit. The deposit covers Amazon. They do refund if overcharged. I have refunds of a few cents to over a hundred euro. The only thing I will say is refunds are slow. Late last month or early this month I received refunds from January to April

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

I have had the import fees automatically refunded on a few items I've bought. Seems to take a few months before it happens though.

I said this but I rechecked and when this is happening you simply aren’t getting the deal price at all - you’d have been as well to buy whatever that item is yesterday. Even though the order page still has the Prime Day offer text on it. Buyer beware to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Buddy97mm wrote: »

It is very specifically a Prime Day issue. Items I have bought and posted as bargain alerts in the past have had the UK VAT removed first. The same items in the Prime Day Sale don't have the UK VAT removed.

There have always been a few items fulfilled by Amazon where the VAT was wrong but not Amazons own items.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Looks like they are not removing the UK VAT on any of the items in my basket. Was onto chat just now about an item in my basket and they said they will refund the VAT once I receive it and request the refund, not sure it is worth the hassle/risk. Bit disappointing in one way but on the plus side I am going to save a fortune :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anywhere amazon site I can get a firestick with an Irish address

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've been on to chat for 30 minutes and have been told repeatedly that the offer is only applicable for UK addresses (Kindle). I'm currently waiting to be transferred to a supervisor

niallo27 wrote: »
    Anywhere amazon site I can get a firestick with an Irish address

Maybe try German site.

UK only for amazon.co.uk.

Or setup address pal quick and get it shipped through that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

I ordered a 4k Firestick 2 weeks ago and it delivered to my Irish address just fine. Today though, as a prime member as well, the 26 pound 4k Firestick (45% off) won't deliver to my Irish address....very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

WD-40 what more is there to say - but perhaps a whole thread :pac:

WD-40 Multi-Use Product Smart Straw 450ml £3.12 at checkout

It is cheaper to buy 3 individual cans, than buying the x3 together, please note postage is very slow on these, I've ordered since Thursday, and haven't got a postage date. Cheapest I've seen in Ireland is 6 euro in MrPrice.

Chat said my order wouldn't be dispatched until August so I cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Impart fees/VAT are called duty deposit. The deposit covers Amazon. They do refund if overcharged. I have refunds of a few cents to over a hundred euro. The only thing I will say is refunds are slow. Late last month or early this month I received refunds from January to April

The refunds you receive are because some exchange rate differences. Hence they are miniscule.

What we are talking here is complete f...kp in how the taxes are calculated for Irish consumers. You won't automatic refund for those.

grogi wrote: »
    The refunds you receive are because some exchange rate differences. Hence they are miniscule.

What we are talking here is complete f...kp in how the taxes are calculated for Irish consumers. You won't automatic refund for those.

Not true. I have received the full import fees deposit back on several items over the past month or so without asking for it.

If Revenue do no collect it from Amazon, then Amazon automatically refund it to you.

Amazon Prime Day 2021 - A Load of Me Ring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Worst example of the Prime Day VAT f*ck up iv come across so far is for a Baby monitor that is 99GBP in the prime deal (but the list price is 150GBP)

Amazon calculate the Irish VAT and import duty off the non list price meaning the total comes to 153.74GBP :rolleyes::(

If Amazon calculated the VAT off the Promo Price (with UK VAT removed) the same product wouldnt only be 105-110GBP. Its ridiculous! The "prime day deal" is the same price as the list price in Currys

• Advertisement

Given Fire TV sticks are not delivering or being reduced for IE users and the VAT is being calculated on full price.

I assume we can accept this is the closest thing to a geo locked sale there is.

bit of a balls but is what it is.

Advertisement