Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Looking forward to not 1 but 2 LED torches.

Going to feel like Gill Grissom with the built in UV light. Running around Dublin inspecting crime.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Soarer wrote: »
    My £5.08 toothbrush arrived today, due Friday.

Same here. My wife ordered one as well. Two different boxes and model numbers, but identical contents when we opened them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Zaph wrote: »
    Same here. My wife ordered one as well. Two different boxes and model numbers, but identical contents when we opened them.

Ended up buying the latter sonic toothbrush too! Think it was posted by Aristotle? The one with 10no. replacement heads. Who needs two bloody sonic toothbrushes like??!

In the last couple of weeks, I've ordered...
    2no. Adidas jerseys
    LED Torch
    Contigo Travel Mug
    Set of 2 colouring books
    24 Staedtler colouring pencils
    6no. packets of 24 markers
    4no. packets of 24 crayons
    30 packets of Airwaves
    5 boxes of Grnade Carb Killas
    12 Sure roll-ons
    2 sonic toothbrushes
    4 bottles of CB12
    9 bottles of Dentyl

Nobody colours in our house btw! :rolleyes:

Bloody Bargain Alerts! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Ended up buying the latter sonic toothbrush too! Think it was posted by Aristotle? The one with 10no. replacement heads. Who needs two bloody sonic toothbrushes like??!

In the last couple of weeks, I've ordered...
    2no. Adidas jerseys
    LED Torch
    Contigo Travel Mug
    Set of 2 colouring books
    24 Staedtler colouring pencils
    6no. packets of 24 markers
    4no. packets of 24 crayons
    30 packets of Airwaves
    5 boxes of Grnade Carb Killas
    12 Sure roll-ons
    2 sonic toothbrushes
    4 bottles of CB12
    9 bottles of Dentyl

Nobody colours in our house btw! :rolleyes:

Bloody Bargain Alerts! :p

That is awesome. A win there for rampant bargain consumerism!

I grabbed 6 packets of the crayons to melt down to make fire starters for camping. Total waste of transport resources. But hey, they were a bargain! The wife almost throttled me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Postwoman, your always getting nice things.
    I hadn't the heart to tell her it was a bottle of Cif Cream in a big box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Postwoman, your always getting nice things.
    I hadn't the heat to tell her it was a bottle of Cif Cream in a big box.

I bought 5 to try justify the trip :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^

do they not get wise to that?? ip address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^

I am into year 3 of Student Prime for £39/year for I think 6 years,

It was deal on here in 2018 , You also had to use an NUS Student Card and When I added on the Amazon site I selected the latest year to graduate which gives me 5 or 6 years of Prime for £39/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

You can also share your membership with another adult in your household.
    You'll have access to their payment methods, and they yours.
    But if ye trust each other, you split the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

TimHorton wrote: »
    I am into year 3 of Student Prime for £39/year for I think 6 years,

It was deal on here in 2018 , You also had to use an NUS Student Card and When I added on the Amazon site I selected the latest year to graduate which gives me 5 or 6 years of Prime for £39/year.

aren't you the cute hoor ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

^^^^^^^^

Amazon will use various data fields and even AI to match accounts, especially when they don't want to deal with a person (that happens more frequently than you might think - and I am not wearing my Tin Foil): shipping address (if you spell them differently, AI extracts meaningful parts), card numbers, names etc.

Sites also use browser fingerprinting - for instance by using Font Fingerprinting
    - comparing fonts installed in your system. Surprisingly that is unique enough to pinpoint a computer - even if they clear cache, swap browser and remove cookies and use Incognito.

Amazon know it's the same person, but they don't care if you start a new Prime trial. Prime is a very well designed sociotechnical way of making you spend more, not less. Even if you don't pay for Prime, it is not really a loss for them, rather a win as you are likely to spend much more during that month...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

My £5.08 toothbrush arrived today, due Friday.

Got mine today as well. Some job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Del007

I know parcel motel is gone from the uk to Ireland but is parcel wizard still working with Amazon?

The item that I want to buy is 18 pounds but doesn't deliver to Ireland. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Del007 wrote: »
    I know parcel motel is gone from the uk to Ireland but is parcel wizard still working with Amazon?

The item that I want to buy is 18 pounds but doesn't deliver to Ireland. Thanks

No, thats gone too. Addresspal with home delivery for €6.50 is only option left.

Corholio wrote: »
    No, thats gone too. Addresspal with home delivery for €6.50 is only option left.

Thanks

It's 18 pounds uk, am I right in saying that there's no duty to be owed on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,239 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Thanks

It's 18 pounds uk, am I right in saying that there's no duty to be owed on that?

If they value it correctly at £18 you'll have to pay fees.

£18 = €20.92

+ €6.50 delivery fee = €27.42 valuation in the eyes of revenue.

You'd have to pay around €9 extra. (€27.42 * 0.21 =  €5.75 VAT owed + €3.50 An Post collection fee)

Oat23 wrote: »
    If they value it correctly at £18 you'll have to pay fees.

£18 = €20.92

+ €6.50 delivery fee = €27.42 valuation in the eyes of revenue.

You'd have to pay around €9 extra. (€27.42 * 0.21 =  €5.75 VAT owed + €3.50 An Post collection fee)

They add their own delivery fee to the charge? doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Delivery fee is always included. I got badly caught when using their own US service $19.99 part plus address pal plus VAT on that total plus €10 An Post fee to collect said VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 15,239 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's two separate companies. An Post and Revenue.

An Post essentially accept your package in Hatfield and then ship it to you for €6.50. In the eyes of Revenue it doesn't matter if it's all part of a mail forwarding service. To them you are simply importing a package from a non-EU country which contains goods valued at €20.92 with a delivery charge of €6.50.

It's annoying but it is what it is. I got caught with it last month too importing something worth £16.

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

aren't you the cute hoor ;)

This was a great deal, 6 months free prime and then £39 per year. I haven't been a student for about 5 years, but my email still worked. I think there are some difference to Prime Student and regular Prime, but nothing I've missed.
    Would be great if they ran it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chrismcc409

Address pal is a shambles at the moment items stuck in Heathrow for weeks. I'm waiting on a firestick over 2 weeks now. There's a thread somewhere about it here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057516584&page=263

If I'd known in advance I'd have chanced sending it to family in the UK and have them send over by regular royal mail. Unfortunately amazon.de isn't an option for a firestick. The only silver lining is they valued it at 14.50 for the 4k model!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-10T-Lite-DotDisplay-Snapdragon/dp/B08JMCKL1C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mi+10t&qid=1614201350&sr=8-1

Ordered the mi10t lite an hour ago for €247 but delivery was April 7th. I checked the order again and no change, still April 7th but when I clicked the product image it brought me to the product page but it said delivery March 2nd. Exact same product as I clicked it from within my order.
    I cancelled the order and reordered for March 2nd. Very strange though, I image if I didn't cancel the order I probably would have received it on March 2nd anyway, but I wasn't taking the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭54and56

corsav6 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-10T-Lite-DotDisplay-Snapdragon/dp/B08JMCKL1C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mi+10t&qid=1614201350&sr=8-1

Ordered the mi10t lite an hour ago for €247 but delivery was April 7th. I checked the order again and no change, still April 7th but when I clicked the product image it brought me to the product page but it said delivery March 2nd. Exact same product as I clicked it from within my order.
    I cancelled the order and reordered for March 2nd. Very strange though, I image if I didn't cancel the order I probably would have received it on March 2nd anyway, but I wasn't taking the chance.

Looks like a lot of phone for the money.

Do you know if it runs stock Android and has NFC capability for Google Pay or does it run Xiamoi's version of Android which doesn't work with Google Pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Mi 10T Lite includes NFC, allowing contactless payment via Google Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

54and56 wrote: »

Do you know if it runs stock Android and has NFC capability for Google Pay or does it run Xiamoi's version of Android which doesn't work with Google Pay?

It definitely runs MIUI, but NFC should work in Europe with recent versions already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

My wife has the 64gb version and everything works as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Doesn't run stock stock - it runs a skinned version called MIUI or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

Just wondering if anyone else in the same situation. I have a uk prime account as we're lucky to have family just across the border.
    When before happened, we lost access to prime video but I talked to customer service and they changed our location to Ireland and said we could keep getting deliveries to NI. we lost premiership football and a few other things I'm sure but we don't watch prime video too often. I just went to watch something the other day and couldn't watch anything. Keep getting error message like ip_geo....
    Anyway, got onto customer service and he said that prime video gone now as we have a uk account and we're watching in Ireland. Brexit basically. When I was told in Jan that my account was moved over and all was hunky dory.
    So just wondering if it anyone else in the same boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,879 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You're accessing the service from ROI at end of the day. Having family members in North shouldn't factor into it.

Advertisement