Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

Nforce wrote: »
    I ordered one just now, but had to use Adresspal. Price was £16.99 in the end (plus AP charges) which seems like a bit of a bargain

You will also have to pay customs since the landed cost would also include the €6.50 AP fee which would take it over the VAT threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭jones

The VAT exemption for items under €20 ends next Wednesday anyway

Time to cancel prime me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have received well over 1k so far this year in refunds. It actually has nothing to do with exchange rates. You will get the refunds if you pay in euro or directly in sterling.

Just to make things clear, Amazon has always charged a duty deposit & refunded any overcharge. Anyone buying from US Amazon in the last few years will testify to same. It's not new, Brexit or exchange rate.

Quick clarification - is the correct VAT rules (legally speaking) that you pay 23% on the base price AFTER any discounts? So if that is the case, then you would be entitled to money back from revenue?

dulpit wrote: »
    Quick clarification - is the correct VAT rules (legally speaking) that you pay 23% on the base price AFTER any discounts? So if that is the case, then you would be entitled to money back from revenue?

From my understanding, yes, and Amazon are therefore not applying it correctly.

"The transaction value is defined as the price actually paid or payable to the seller for the goods being imported when they are sold for export to the customs territory of the EU."

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/customs/valuation/valuation.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

"The transaction value is defined as the price actually paid or payable to the seller for the goods being imported when they are sold for export to the customs territory of the EU."

So by the logic, you could apply to revenue for a refund of the difference?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I cancel prime every year and then a few weeks later they give me it free for the next year. Id say ive paid for it once in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Doodah7 wrote: »
    There are two issues. The first is that they are not deducting the UK VAT element of the selling price before adding on the Import Fees Deposit. Secondly they are not deducting the discount before applying Import Fees Deposit.

Effectively we are paying VAT twice and not getting the full discount!

Have you a link of anything that will show they are not deducting the UK VAT before apply IFD, at the checkout stage, because I don't believe that to be the case. The issue is your second statement, that they are calculating VAT on the listed price and not the lightning deal price.

amazon.co.uk/Timex-Expedition-TW4B04400-Chrono-Gunmetal/dp/B01CKUQG5U

Going to an Irish address:

Items: GBP 58.32
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 13.41 (This is 23% of the item price above)
    Total: GBP 71.73
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 14.32
    Order Total: GBP 57.41

Going to a UK address:

Items: GBP 58.32
    Total before VAT: GBP 58.32
    Estimated VAT: GBP 11.67 (This is 20% of the item price)
    Total: GBP 69.99
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 25.99
    Order Total: GBP 44.00

Or this Lego set? amazon.co.uk/LEGO-42122-Technic-Wrangler-Building/dp/B08G4LZVTW

Going to an Irish Address:

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 33.32
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 7.66
    Total: GBP 40.98
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 2.33
    Order Total: GBP 38.65

Going to a UK Address:
    Items: £33.32
    Postage & Packing: £0.00
    Total before VAT: £33.32
    VAT: £6.67
    Total: £39.99
    Promotion Applied: -£9.00
    Payment Total:£30.99

Notice how the item price for both addresses is the same before two different IFD/VAT are added depending on the country it is being delivered to? Why would they be adding VAT to the UK address, if as you are saying, the £58.32 or the £33.32 already includes UK vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

dulpit wrote: »
    So by the logic, you could apply to revenue for a refund of the difference?:confused:

It is Amazon as the retailer that are making the error, they have to do the customer refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I ordered two identical items in the past week and the following are the details:

The price of the item was £65 reduced to £45.

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal: £57.49
    Total Before VAT: £57.49
    VAT: £0.00
    Total: £57.49
    Promotion Applied: -£12.49
    Import Fees Deposit £13.23
    Grand Total: £58.23

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal: £57.49
    Total Before VAT: £57.49
    VAT: £0.00
    Total: £57.49
    Promotion Applied: -£20.00
    Import Fees Deposit £13.23
    Grand Total: £50.72

So in the latter, they were charging the ex-UK VAT price, then discounting the promotion and charging Import Fees on the remainder. This is the correct procedure. (Edit: or maybe it is not????).

In the first case, the discount was incorrectly applied off the ex-UK VAT price and they simply reduced the ex-VAT price down to the £45 sale price. The Prime discounts should be a reduction off the VAT inclusive price rather than the ex-VAT price.

NOW they are just charging the UK-inclusive VAT price, adding on the Import Fees and then taking the original discount. Hence why everything is so much more expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I presume the import fee deposit difference (from what is collected versus what is paid) will be refunded as per previous process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

I have a £70 amazon voucher which I won at work. Was going to buy a FitBit Versa 2 for €138 and then apply the voucher.

Even after the voucher was taken in to consideration, the import fees are €36. All in it would cost €92 and I couldn't be bothered spending that much (I know, it's still good value)

On the german site without the voucher its €122 all in. I know I can't transfer my voucher from one site to the other, but is there any workaround to this?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

If the UK price is £120 it includes UK VAT, the Irish price should be £123 before converting to euro.
    The easy conversion is to multiply the UK price by 1.025, i.e. add 2.5%. Any more and they are ripping of the Paddy's as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I presume the import fee deposit difference (from what is collected versus what is paid) will be refunded as per previous process?

personally i wouldn't trust them to refund

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

ablelocks wrote: »
    personally i wouldn't trust them to refund

They've been refunding amounts of £0.01 and £0.02 the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The earphones are back and they're 12.49 delivered! It's not a prime day deal - we were swindled!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FLGHKHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

The earphones are back and they're 12.49 delivered! It's not a prime day deal - we were swindled!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FLGHKHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had mine a couple of days now, great wee set of earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I have a £70 amazon voucher which I won at work. Was going to buy a FitBit Versa 2 for €138 and then apply the voucher.

Even after the voucher was taken in to consideration, the import fees are €36. All in it would cost €92 and I couldn't be bothered spending that much (I know, it's still good value)

On the german site without the voucher its €122 all in. I know I can't transfer my voucher from one site to the other, but is there any workaround to this?

Thanks!

Only option really now is to sell it at a discount or if you know someone up north who you can collect items off considering the 1st of July rule change

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thanks!

Better off using the voucher for several orders under 22 before the 1st of july to get the most of the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Hi just wondering can I sign up to a free trial of amazon prime and then cancel within the free trial to avail of these offers without paying prime membership. Thanks in advance for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Hi just wondering can I sign up to a free trial of amazon prime and then cancel within the free trial to avail of these offers without paying prime membership. Thanks in advance for the info.

YOU CAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

YOU CAN

Thanks. I was just assuming there was a catch. It's the cynic in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I emailed revenue about this previously and they backed your understanding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I got these. Everybody else seems to think they are great but I think they are awful. Weak, thin sound. The cheap, wired set they were bought to replace sound better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I had 10pound voucher for prime day so managed to get these for 2.49.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Order Summary
    Items: EUR 24,23
    Postage & Packing: EUR 0,00
    Import Fees Deposit: EUR 5,57
    Total: EUR 29,80
    Promotion Applied: -EUR 12,60
    Exchange rate guarantee fee: EUR 0,36
    Order Total: EUR17.56,
    from €11.63 ?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PDJ9JFF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Customer care update on this " prime day for UK addresses only" so i was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

SCOOP 64 wrote:
    Customer care update on this " prime day for UK addresses only" so i was told.

Prime day is worldwide. Definitely not just UK. They are advertising it on newstalk radio here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

an item i have been watching and waiting to become a bargain for prime day, is turning out to be far more expensive to buy as a used warehouse deal item than it was for sale as brand new in march this year. postlockdown blues . and they sent me the 10 credit, then took it straight back.
    i did get 10 off with mastercard promo. but that was before today. doesnt seem to be many real bargains, as most items are so much more expensive now.
    4k firestick thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Only option really now is to sell it at a discount or if you know someone up north who you can collect items off considering the 1st of July rule change

Expect that date to be extended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

ted1 wrote: »
    Expect that date to be extended

Is it not an EU wide rule?

Advertisement