Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

xtal191 wrote: »

Those are both sold by 3rd party sellers, they are likely not VAT registered which is the reason for the double VAT charge there. There’s nothing for Amazon to fix unfortunately so that’s the best price you’ll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Still seeing sales price disappear for me when i use my Irish address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

glasso wrote: »
    it's on sale for 80 £ (sterling)

when UK VAT is taken off and Irish VAT applied 99 euro is correct

They are not taking off the UK vat though!

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 124.99
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 28.75
    Total: GBP 153.74
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 70.00
    Order Total: GBP 83.74

n2fbn4L

The item cost 125.99 less promotion of 70 is the GBP 54.99 (which is the lowest price advertised) already contains UK vat - plus we're being charged the Irish Vat on the pre promotion price.

Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭melatonin

anyone know a way to get a Firestick cheap? don't seem to be delivering to Ireland.

I know it was previously mentioned here but wondering if anyone found a workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

melatonin wrote: »
    anyone know a way to get a Firestick cheap? don't seem to be delivering to Ireland.

I know it was previously mentioned here but wondering if anyone found a workaround

Adverts would be your best bet. Expensive enough though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Getting mine sent to Addresspal in the UK. Only €6 delivered onwards.

You'll end up paying a total of £27 + 0.23*(£27+€6.50) +€6.50 + €3.50 ≈ €51.

Plus 23% VAT on 6 plus the price you paid, and whatever An Post charge as a handling fee. You probably saved about a euro on what you could have got it in Currys for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ams wrote: »
    They are not taking off the UK vat though!

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 124.99
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 28.75
    Total: GBP 153.74
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 70.00
    Order Total: GBP 83.74

n2fbn4L

The item cost 125.99 less promotion of 70 is the GBP 54.99 (which is the lowest price advertised) already contains UK vat - plus we're being charged the Irish Vat on the pre promotion price.

Very frustrating.

124.99 is less the UK VAT, Irish VAT is then added - from which the full promotion amount is removed. The original, full UK price, including VAT, is 149.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Amazon.de?

• Advertisement

Plus 23% VAT on 6 plus the price you paid, and whatever An Post charge as a handling fee. You probably saved about a euro on what you could have got it in Currys for.

Incorrect. Purchased it yesterday.

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£41.66
    Postage & Packing:£0.00
    Total Before VAT:£41.66
    VAT:£8.33
    Total:£49.99
    Promotion Applied:-£33.00
    Grand Total:£16.99

Well below the €59 that Currys are charging even with the €6 AP charge.

Order Summary

You're incorrect. So far you've paid £27 + €6.50 (plus the £10 voucher that you chose to use for this product). When it lands in Ireland you'll be charged an additional 0.23*(£27+€6.50) +€3.50 ≈ €12 in customs (or 0.23*(£17+€6.50) +€3.50 ≈ €9.50 with your £10 voucher.) Either way, you'll be charged customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Strange , they will deliver to me in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

After complaining through Amazon customer service, I received this email:

All prime deals and import fee being charged on the retail price has been caused by a technical issue, and we're currently working on a solution.

You don't need to take any action to receive the refund — it'll be credited to the payment method used for the order.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I hope this helps and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

You're incorrect. So far you've paid £27 + €6.50 (plus the £10 voucher that you chose to use for this product). When it lands in Ireland you'll be charged an additional 0.23*(£27+€6.50) +€3.50 ≈ €12 in customs (or you might avoid that due to the use of your £10 voucher. In general, however, you would be charged the additional €12).

So still far less than the €59 that Currys are charging which was my point. Even if everything gets hit full whack, its about ~17% saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/amazon-apologises-for-error-affecting-irish-customers-1.4600212

"Amazon has apologised to customers in the Republic of Ireland after they were significantly overcharged across multiple product lines on what was supposed to be the first of two days of widely advertised discounts on the site."

So still far less than the €59 that Currys are charging which was my point.

Your point makes no sense because you chose to use a £10 voucher that you have on this item which you could have used on any item. Almost every similarly priced item on Amazon is cheaper than on Currys by that logic.

124.99 is less the UK VAT, Irish VAT is then added from which the full promotion amount is removed. The original, full UK price including VAT is 149.99.

Ok I get you - I changed my address to Belfast and the minimum price is now £79.99.

Thank you.

Order Summary

You've not got the Irish customs bill yet.

• Advertisement

Your point makes no sense because you chose to use a £10 voucher that you have on this item which you could have used on any item. Almost every similarly priced item on Amazon is cheaper than on Currys by that logic.

Other poster (which I responded to) claimed that I saved probably a euro from what I'd paid in Curry which was incorrect. So my point stands.

Even without the £10 voucher (which I had no idea that I had) the total cost including customs, AP charge etc would be €31 for the product, €12 for customs and €6 for AP. So in total, that comes to more than €10 less than what Currys charge. It's cheaper without any voucher so my post makes complete sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Can anyone recommend a Smartwatch for a 13yo that might be a decent price?- he wants to be able to get Spotify on it etc (I dont know a lot about them) ... thinking possibly Samsung with the cashback offer maybe??

Other poster (which I responded to) claimed that I saved probably a euro from what I'd paid in Curry which was incorrect. So my point stands.

You'd save approximately €8 on the Curry's price if you did not use your voucher. Your statement of "Getting mine sent to Addresspal in the UK. Only €6 delivered onwards" was incorrect.

check for one that supports offline Spotify - otherwise he'll still need to carry his phone.

ted1 wrote: »

have you tried checkout? i can't get much further when i try to checkout. Tried two Dublin addresses and Meath address

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ted1 wrote: »
    Post up the pics so when you receive it.

Thats the great thing about a discussion forum. You can post any old sh!te and expect people to believe you :D

You'd save approximately €8 on the Curry's price if you did not use your voucher. Your statement of "Getting mine sent to Addresspal in the UK. Only €6 delivered onwards" was incorrect.

You're splitting hairs on my phraseology now so I'm really not bothered as you attempt to work a 'win' out of challenging my post.

Suggested method still results in a ~15% saving on the retail price in Ireland for anyone purchasing a Firestick who cannot get it delivered directly to Ireland, which was my point - as the original poster could not get it delivered to Ireland and was looking for a workaround (remember?).

You and the other poster rushing in to say there is no saving are factually incorrect.

Even without the £10 voucher (which I had no idea that I had) the total cost including customs, AP charge etc would be €31 for the product, €12 for customs and €6 for AP. So in total, that comes to more than €10 less than what Currys charge. It's cheaper without any voucher so my post makes complete sense.

not to add fuel to the flames of this argument, but after checking, the actual Currys price is €65.99. They don't offer collection and delivery is 6.99

You're splitting hairs on my phraseology now so I'm really not bothered as you attempt to work a 'win' out of challenging my post.

Your post strongly misleads others who read it and who are looking to buy a Firestick. You did not know that a voucher was applied, nor did you imply that you would also be liable for customs. Your post is instead suggesting that if you ordered a Firestick through AddressPal that you would only be charged an additional €6.50 AddressPal fee and nothing more. That is incorrect, by some way, and will result in posters getting a customs charge that they weren't expecting.

• Advertisement

not to add fuel to the flames of this argument, but after checking, the actual Currys price is €65.99. They don't offer collection and delivery is 6.99

You can also get it delivered for €54.95 + €3.95 = €58.90 here.

https://www.freetv.ie/fire-tv-stick/

Advertisement