Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go invisible on WhatsApp

Options
  • 11-02-2021 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

If I go invisible on WhatsApp does it notify every sender that their message could not be delivered?

Is there a way to go invisible to selected contacts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Do you mean delete your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

YellowLead wrote: »
    Do you mean delete your account?

No

Invisible is a privacy setting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

No

Invisible is a privacy setting

Do you mean hiding your online status? I am not aware of a setting called ‘invisible’ and I can’t see it in my own security

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think he means hiding online status.

It doesn't affect anyone sending you messages. It just means the "Last seen" under your name at the top doesn't show.

Okay I clearly misunderstood what I read about Invisible

I had googled blocking on WhatsApp and what came up was the guide to go invisible

I need to stop receiving messages from some people on both WhatsApp and iMessage but I need them to know I’m not getting the messages which will then force them to make a phone call - and they’ll only do that if it is important.

I’m just fed up of many many unnecessary messages because it free and (apparently) easier than a phone call.

Neither Messages nor WhatsApp tell the blocked person that the message was not delivered. How many notice the second tick on WhatsApp?

And I need both apps for contacting other people.

So is the only option to actually tell each person they are blocked and have to phone me in future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Okay I clearly misunderstood what I read about Invisible

I had googled blocking on WhatsApp and what came up was the guide to go invisible

I need to stop receiving messages from some people on both WhatsApp and iMessage but I need them to know I’m not getting the messages which will then force them to make a phone call - and they’ll only do that if it is important.

I’m just fed up of many many unnecessary messages because it free and (apparently) easier than a phone call.

Neither Messages nor WhatsApp tell the blocked person that the message was not delivered. How many notice the second tick on WhatsApp?

And I need both apps for contacting other people.

So is the only option to actually tell each person they are blocked and have to phone me in future?

Both WhatsApp and I message have read indicators. On what's WhatsApp anyway, single tick means sent, two ticks delivered and blue ticks means read

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why don't you just block them on WhatsApp?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Go into the privacy settings in the app and block them. It only blocks them in WhatsApp. They can still contact you by text message or by phoning. They don’t get a message saying you blocked them, I think it removes your contact details from their app and so they can’t send you any more messages.

swampy353 wrote: »
    Both WhatsApp and I message have read indicators. On what's WhatsApp anyway, single tick means sent, two ticks delivered and blue ticks means read

The ticks are something they would take notice of and probably don’t know what they mean.

It needs to be made clear to them that the messages were not delivered.

I will just tell them.

JPA wrote: »
    Why don't you just block them on WhatsApp?

That is is my intent but the app doesn’t let the sender know they are blocked and the the people won’t pay attention to the ticks.

I have asked for no more messages and calls only but they don’t take it in. I don’t want to cut off contact - just want them to quit with the texting for everything.

I will just tell them they are blocked and can only phone me.

That will surely sink in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Seems like you have a people problem, not a technical problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

JPA wrote: »
    Seems like you have a people problem, not a technical problem.

Yup.

IMs are considered less intrusive for 99% of the population. Just respond with a 48hr lag. They'll get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Tell them u are deleting ur whats app, then block them....?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rangerous

Go into the privacy settings in the app and block them. It only blocks them in WhatsApp. They can still contact you by text message or by phoning. They don’t get a message saying you blocked them, I think it removes your contact details from their app and so they can’t send you any more messages.
    It does NOT remove your contact details from their devices. This is misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

For me I just deactivated the blue tick/read option. They know it was delivered but have no idea if it was read. I made it their problem and not mine.

Advertisement