Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To teach in Republic or NI

Options
  • 11-02-2021 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi, in the near future I will be relocating to Ireland after a number of years teaching in a private school in the Middle East. I am a UK qualified primary teacher and also have experience teaching in the UK.

My question is how does teaching compare between the two states in terms of salary and other areas? Would my years abroad be recognized in either?

Other reasons to settle in the north are lower cost of living, NHS. Thank you for any information you have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    Hi, in the near future I will be relocating to Ireland after a number of years teaching in a private school in the Middle East. I am a UK qualified primary teacher and also have experience teaching in the UK.

My question is how does teaching compare between the two states in terms of salary and other areas? Would my years abroad be recognized in either?

Other reasons to settle in the north are lower cost of living, NHS. Thank you for any information you have.

I’m open to correction, but I think to teach Primary in the Republic you would need to pass an Irish language exam first, so that may be a deciding factor for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

I dated a primary teacher from the north teaching in dublin before, she was complaining about pay cuts etc n I said what's the story with working up the north. She said no chance, pay was much higher down south

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Pay in NI is even worse than England...it's abysmal! A SNA in Ireland earns roughly the same as a qualified teacher in England in the first few years. I met lots of Northern Irish teaching in England and they all said jobs were extremely scarce back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

twomonkeys wrote: »
    I’m open to correction, but I think to teach Primary in the Republic you would need to pass an Irish language exam first, so that may be a deciding factor for you.

I believe you are given a three year period to complete the Irish requirement but can work simultaneously to completing this.

Also thanks for the info regarding pay. I had noticed online it looked to be significantly less in NI but wondered about abroad service being recognised.

Advertisement