Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a guitar from Norway

Options
  • 11-02-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Will there be any customs due?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

not EU, so possibly.

Ask the tax man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Does it have to be Norway? Thormann in Germany have a large range without customs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

No it's a private sale

I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Does it have to be Norway? Thormann in Germany have a large range without customs etc.

That's not quite right - they include the correct tax due in the price of the item. Check the different price between somewhere like Spain and Ireland https://www.thomann.de/ie/faq_question_do_i_have_to_pay_value_added_tax_vat.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

feylya wrote: »
    That's not quite right - they include the correct tax due in the price of the item. Check the different price between somewhere like Spain and Ireland https://www.thomann.de/ie/faq_question_do_i_have_to_pay_value_added_tax_vat.html

There's no customs at all between Germany and Ireland as its an intra-EU sale. However, you have to apply the destination country's VAT within the EU if your sales are above a certain (relatively small) volume.

Norway isn't the EU, but it's a part of the EEA (European Economic Area) which allows them to participate in the European Single Market.

It's far, far less complicated to trade with Norway than post-Brexit Britain which effectively has almost no relationship with the EU anymore and has left the Single Market.

The guitar will be a non runner if i have to pay tax on it coming from Norway.
    It will work out way too expensive. So what's the definitive answer on this lads?
    Yay or nay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Check with Revenue, but I don't think you'll have any significant complications with a private sale from Norway due to the EEA status and preferential trade arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

feylya wrote: »

Just checked it that there and no difference. The reason I mentioned Thomann in the first place was the daughter had a Fender Grace ukulele shipped only last week for €89 + €15 p &p.
    Same price for both product & p&p if she gave a Spanish address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

So what's the definitive answer on this lads?
    Yay or nay?

ask the tax man!

not a bunch of randomers on the web!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No it's a private sale

what did yo get :)?

Norway isn't in the EU customs union so it is possible that it would be stopped by customs here.

ask the tax man!

not a bunch of randomers on the web!

Couldn't get through yesterday. I'll try again today. That ok with you?:p

what did yo get :)?

Nash S63

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Nash S63

nice

Alas it is not to be ....ah well :(