Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted payment into my account

Options
  • 11-02-2021 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Please, I got a text message from BOI saying...

An attempted payment of €2000 has been rejected.  Visit cancelboi.com if it is not you.

I didn't try to make any payment.

Pls what do I do...thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Nothing to do with Bank of Ireland. It's a 'phishing' scam attempting to get your details and is likely sent to a random number.

It's unlikely that they know anything about you and have just sent a mass text to random 08X numbers.

They basically just pick common brands like say Bank of Ireland, AIB, Eir, Virgin, The Revenue Commissioners.. any company or organisation they think will be big enough to have a lot of customers and common enough to have a high % of respondents to their scam texts.

If you follow the link you'll end up on a fake page that will just attempt to get you to input your personal information like credit/debit or bank account numbers.
    DO NOT DO THIS.

None of the banks will ever contact you like this and you should never follow links like that or give personal information to any unexpected callers or texters.

If you get a message claiming to be from a bank or similar organisations, ring the company's main phone number directly and query it. You'll find that number on the back of your bank cards. Never ring any number sent by text as that too can be a fake call centre.

Ignore the message and delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Have you been contacted by a Nigerian prince recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Funmi

I guessed as much but wanted to be sure...thanks dear.

I guessed as much but wanted to be sure...thanks dear. Thank you 😊
    Nothing to do with Bank of Ireland. It's a 'phishing' scam attempting to get your details and is likely sent to a random number.

It's unlikely that they know anything about you and have just sent a mass text to random 08X numbers.

They basically just pick common brands like say Bank of Ireland, AIB, Eir, Virgin, The Revenue Commissioners.. any company or organisation they think will be big enough to have a lot of customers and common enough to have a high % of respondents to their scam texts.

If you follow the link you'll end up on a fake page that will just attempt to get you to input your personal information like credit/debit or bank account numbers.
    DO NOT DO THIS.

Ignore the message and delete it.

Lol, why did you ask? Could it be the Prince trying to scam me

quote="LessOutragePlz;116248692"]Have you been contacted by a Nigerian prince recently?[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Funmi wrote: »
    Lol, why did you ask? Could it be the Prince trying to scam me

quote="LessOutragePlz;116248692"]Have you been contacted by a Nigerian prince recently?
    [/QUOTE]

It's just a reference to a really old and once common e-mail phishing scam, where someone will email you telling you they're a prince or some high ranking official trying to get your bank account details.

Hmmmmm am not expecting nothing from a Prince lol...thank you for enlighten me.

It's just a reference to a really old and once common e-mail phishing scam, where someone will email you telling you they're a prince or some high ranking official trying to get your bank account details.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Funmi wrote: »
    Please, I got a text message from BOI saying...

An attempted payment of €2000 has been rejected.  Visit cancelboi.com if it is not you.

I didn't try to make any payment.

Pls what do I do...thank you.
    Hi Funmi, thanks for your post here on Boards.ie. 

We can confirm that this is a fraudulent text. 

Please do not click the link in this text or provide any of your details. 

Just a reminder that BOI would never contact you by phone/ text/ email asking for your account/ online/ card details in full. 

If you ever receive any correspondence from BOI that you're unsure of please don't hesitate to get in touch with us here or on any of our social platforms, we'd be happy to confirm it for you. 

Thanks, Eve 

Advertisement