Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Options for shed interior walls

• 11-02-2021 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I cuurently have a 20x20ft shed which is blocked halfway and then sheeted. There is a 6cm gap all round between the block and sheeting start - which kept the shed well ventilated when used previously as a turf shed. I have some netting over it just to stop birds getting in,

https://imgur.com/a/1dY98jl

However i have now moved some gym equipment out to the shed and find that the equipment is starting to rust due to the rain and moisture getting in (and probably lack of use!)
    Im considering adding plyboard all the way round the shed walls up to the wooded beam supporting the bottom of the sheeting - but unsure if its the right solution.

Any suggestions to wind/rain/moisture proofing the shed - while keeping it relatively warm and ventilated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Not sure what difference the plywood will make ?
    60mm is a fair gap and can understand why but the cladding seems to stop short and perhaps should go further down or the blockwork higher up. Is there any rain getting in at that location ?
    Have you any plans to insulate or heat ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭dazzday

Depending on wind/rain direction I am seeing rain come in - and out in West it can be quite heavy.

The plywood boards (4x8 boards so would leave a bare block row at the bottom) was an idea in to essentially block the gap whare the rain could come in - like the sketch below. It would also probably look better then bare block.

https://imgur.com/a/P83lRMf

No real plans to heat or insulate at the moment - but would review the options as its pretty cold out there in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The first thing you would be better doing is raise the Blockwork, Is it plastered on the outside.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You need to weather proof it before you start putting finishing things on the inside, if your plywood is getting wet then it wont last.
    I would brick it up but then you also need to divert the water thats running down the sheathing away from the bricks or its going to soak through, which depending on what you want from the shed may or may not be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You need to block the rain from coming in from the outside.

If you block on the inside you'll have exactly the same interior moisture to deal with, in a slightly different place.

It probably isn't just wind borne rain, it's probably also rain running down the sheeting and then getting blown inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Obvious question: do you have guttering and downpipes?

Advertisement