Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of new connection

Options
  • 11-02-2021 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭

Am renovating an old house . Have opted for 12kVA supply. Power supply disconnected over 8 years ago . A live pole is just 65 mt from house . Am being charged € 2589 for connection. Apart from a site visit the Network will return when I have the cable duct and and cabinet in place to connect cable at pole and cabinet ends. Network will supply the 65 + mt of cable.

I fail to see why the cost is so high for the supply of cable and a half days work for two people + one site visit OR am I missing something ? Would appreciate anyone out there who has had a similar experience for a comment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Field east wrote: »
    Am renovating an old house . Have opted for 12kVA supply. Power supply disconnected over 8 years ago . A live pole is just 65 mt from house . Am being charged € 2589 for connection. Apart from a site visit the Network will return when I have the cable duct and and cabinet in place to connect cable at pole and cabinet ends. Network will supply the 65 + mt of cable.

I fail to see why the cost is so high for the supply of cable and a half days work for two people + one site visit OR am I missing something ? Would appreciate anyone out there who has had a similar experience for a comment
    The cable alone would be fairly expensive. Plus the labour. Plus whatever else ESBN need to do at their end etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭enricoh

The joys of dealing with a semi state monopoly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

enricoh wrote: »
    The joys of dealing with a semi state monopoly!

It isn’t just for the cable from you to the pole, the survey, the planning and the connection. It’s also your contribution to the development of the whole distribution network. There are a transformers and switchgear upstream and a load of poles and pylons.

It all adds up to a big up-front charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Field east

It isn’t just for the cable from you to the pole, the survey, the planning and the connection. It’s also your contribution to the development of the whole distribution network. There are a transformers and switchgear upstream and a load of poles and pylons.

It all adds up to a big up-front charge.

I accept to the principal of making a contribution towards the network - the capital element and its maintenance . But is that not supported by the monthly electricity bill ?

Field east wrote: »
    I accept to the principal of making a contribution towards the network - the capital element and its maintenance . But is that not supported by the monthly electricity bill ?

It’s a complicated thing but the basic idea is that for new distribution for consumers (homes, offices, factories) the up-front connection fees are enough to fund half the capital costs. So really the existing householders are subsidizing the new installations.

The monthly distribution charges (which are about 60-100 euros a year fit a rural home fixed and about 4c/kWh so maybe 250-350 euros per home) fund the rest, as well as the running costs and the maintenance/repair. The running costs are a lot when you consider there are 250,000 substations for 2.4m connection points. I think there is around 90m of cable per connection point on average. The system is pretty reliable nowadays, at around 5 or 6 9’s.

It could probably be done cheaper certainly but not that much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Happyhouse22

I am currently renovating a house and had the electricity disconnected in November ( which included the meter being removed).

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/reconnecting-supply

According to this I won’t need to pay the re-connection fee but am worried that the lack of meter in the property will change this.

Installing underfloor heating and heat pump so will need to move to a day night meter anyway- has anyone been in the same position and avoided the connection fees? Hoping to get the electricity installed by May meaning it would have been only 6 months, but it might run to June which would put me in the 6months- 2 years bracket which also looks okay if as simple as described, even with a new ,enter required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

I am currently renovating a house and had the electricity disconnected in November ( which included the meter being removed).

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/reconnecting-supply

According to this I won’t need to pay the re-connection fee but am worried that the lack of meter in the property will change this.

Installing underfloor heating and heat pump so will need to move to a day night meter anyway- has anyone been in the same position and avoided the connection fees? Hoping to get the electricity installed by May meaning it would have been only 6 months, but it might run to June which would put me in the 6months- 2 years bracket which also looks okay if as simple as described, even with a new ,enter required.

If your meter is removed then you require a new MPRN which will be treated (and costed)as a new supply in my experience

meercat wrote: »
    If your meter is removed then you require a new MPRN which will be treated (and costed)as a new supply in my experience

Is everything else in place except the meter? Did you ask the supplier to remove the installation, or just a regular de-energisation?

If the installation is still in place and the Meter point hasn’t been ‘terminated’ as opposed to ‘de-energised’ in the ESBn DB and you can show the disconnection was of short duration then you might be ok.

I would try asking the supplier to re-energies it and see what happens.

Sounds like it will have to be a new connection so, power was taken back to pole as a large tree needed to removed and the wires were entangled in the branches.

The meter was removed as the wall it was on was completely removed - I guess just asking the energy company to reconnect is the way to go and see what happens but seems unlikely..

Will try and get the re-connection initiated within the 6 month period as I feel it may be advantageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Sounds like it will have to be a new connection so, power was taken back to pole as a large tree needed to removed and the wires were entangled in the branches.

The meter was removed as the wall it was on was completely removed - I guess just asking the energy company to reconnect is the way to go and see what happens but seems unlikely..

Will try and get the re-connection initiated within the 6 month period as I feel it may be advantageous.

Don’t wait until you’re ready for power to apply for a service connection
    Apply early as this could be a slow process as Esbn will have to send your application to their planning/networks department and issue costs. This may entail site visit and additional poles/transformer and you may have to duct to these poles.
    Get in early. The costs will be the same now as it will in 3months.

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Don’t wait until you’re ready for power to apply for a service connection
    Apply early as this could be a slow process as Esbn will have to send your application to their planning/networks department and issue costs. This may entail site visit and additional poles/transformer and you may have to duct to these poles.
    Get in early. The costs will be the same now as it will in 3months.

This makes sense thanks, I know which ever provider I go with they will refer to ESB networks for the actual connection that said are any of the providers any easier to deal with e.g. answer the phone etc. Had very frustrating experiences dealing with Eir :)

Advertisement