Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike - gears

Options
  • 11-02-2021 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all, excuse my ignorance and I’m only a casual recreational cyclist but I have just picked up a new bike from Halfords, now it’s nothing particularly fancy, an entry level Carrera but can you tell me would you expect all gears to be very smooth? (I guess you would!) It’s only 14 speed but sounds (and feels) particularly rattly when in 7th or 14th. Thanks and apologies!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Generally you'd avoid going big ring up front to big ring at the back (or small to small) because this puts the chain through a more severe angle. When you mention the gears you're using, do you mean this, or big to small/small to big?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Generally you'd avoid going big ring up front to big ring at the back (or small to small) because this puts the chain through a more severe angle. When you mention the gears you're using, do you mean this, or big to small/small to big?
    7th and 14th would be 'small/small' and 'big/small'. Whatever about 'small/small' any bike should be able to handle 'big/small' i.e. the largest gear available (or 'small/big' - the lowest gear available).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Some people would call big to small first gear though, which is why I was trying to figure out where the issue is.

My assumption is that it's front derailleur rub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

The problem is big ring at front, small ring at back (14th) and small ring at front, small ring at back (7th) . It sounds worse with big at front, small at back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

OP

It shouldn’t rattle at all. Bring it back to Halfords and they should sort it free of charge.

If you want to fix it yourself I’m sure you’ll get help here but need to provide more info.

• Advertisement

check to see if the chain is rubbing on the inside of the outer plate of the front derailleur when in the small cog at the back. if so, it just needs a bit of adjustment, something halfords should do for you.

Advertisement