Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Petrified of noisy vehicles

• 12-02-2021 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Has anyone had any experiences in calming down a dog that wants to chase cars, buses, trucks etc?

Lovely dog with a nice temperament in general, but when out for a walk she loses her mind if a noisy truck / bus / tractor etc drives past.

She will bark non stop, try pull out of her collar - I picked her up today when she was freaking out and her heart was going 90. Takes her a while to calm down then. (She doesn't have a barking problem at all in other situations).

Distraction isn't working, I've tried treats etc when I see something coming, but she's completely fixated.

She responds well to training in general - but this has me at a loss, she doesn't react to other dogs, people etc.

Any advice / experience appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd try and position yourselves in a place where she can see/acknowledge the traffic passing, but not close enough so she's freaking out and then reward reward reward with something extremely high value as it passes. In time you can get closer as she gets more comfortable. Even starting off with her in the car and just go to a carpark and watch cars coming and going.

Bailey doesn't like trucks/busses/diggers etc..but we got to the stage where he'll stop as they pass and then continue on... using cheese as his reward lol. We're on a main route in/out of the city so there's a lot of busses! When I get my pup I'll go and sit on the wall in from the road during busier times and treat as cars etc pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

I'd second what tk123 has said. Another element to that would be how your dog sees these vehicles. If possible, allow your dog to see them passing horizontally as opposed to coming towards you. Use a word such as "look/here" once your dog sees the vehicle, reward if command is followed and repeat :)
    You need to do a lot of work on "look/here" in your home or garden before using it on walks so they associate it with a command which results in a treat. It takes a lot of practice and consistency but it should help. It's been fantastic for our dog who is reactive towards other dogs. One thing to really be aware of is the distance from your dog to the vehicle. Start quite far away and gradually get closer. If your dog is reacting, you're too close. Best of luck :)

Advertisement