Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banantyne Place

• 12-02-2021 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm currently looking to by as a ftb and have noticed some three bedroom apartments come onto the market in this complex.

They vary in price but seem reasonable for the asking prices, I had previously lived in that area albeit on Henry street and liked living there with town being so close being a plus.

Has anyone had any experience or lived in those apartments that could share their thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

The only downside I see, assuming you're happy with the price, is it's facing onto the Dock Road, not the river. Steamboat Quay has enjoyed a massive improvement since the Celtic Tiger days of kids leaving home for the 1st time and being absolute dicks. It's now got a lot of Eastern European families who know how to live in and respect apartment buildings and their neighbours. Also there is a management company actively working most parts of the block now, which hadn't been the case for a long time. Hopefully you get a parking space included in the price, rather than 'parking space included. Cost for parking is €xxx per year'.

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

I'd agree with the above poster. Maybe have a look at the few on offer to see what the views are like (the Dock Road isn't to everyone's taste) and go at different times of day. The annual fees for parking will be over 1500 a year so keep that in mind as well. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

jpharvey wrote: »
    I'd agree with the above poster. Maybe have a look at the few on offer to see what the views are like (the Dock Road isn't to everyone's taste) and go at different times of day. The annual fees for parking will be over 1500 a year so keep that in mind as well. Good luck!

Looking at the daft ad it says that the parking space is included in the sale of the property but there are "service charges" of €1550 that are not specified, I presume that this would cover waste disposal and contribute towards general upkeep of the complex. Although thats probably a question for the ea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Looking at the daft ad it says that the parking space is included in the sale of the property but there are "service charges" of €1550 that are not specified, I presume that this would cover waste disposal and contribute towards general upkeep of the complex. Although thats probably a question for the ea
    Service charges usually include refuse disposal and block insurance as well as general maintenance. The parking space you refer to is most likely located in the nearby public car park at James Casey Walk. There will be an arrangement in place for residents of your particular block to park there. It may not be entirely free however and, being a public car park, there will be specific opening hours. It will not be open 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I lived in one on the top floor about 15 years ago. Was a nice building to live in and the area was fine but I remember the fat being very cold and the heating being those crap storage heaters so I assume the insulation was useless or the walls like paper that you get in a lot of Celtic tiger builds. My advice would be to check the energy rating very carefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Been living here for the past few years. We find it very comfortable.
    We live on the river side though so cannot comment noise etc from Dock road.
    In general the building is well maintained and clean. It is very quiet with lots of families living here. Demographics have probably changed in recent years based on the experience of others noted above.
    Parking is in the public car park below the building. The residents card opens the locked gate so there is 24/7 access in and out.
    We find the storage heating perfectly fine. It is probably not that efficient but there is not that much space to heat either.
    Solid concrete walls between units seems to do a decent job of keeping noise from neighbours out.

Minor annoyances are the main lift in the middle of the complex is a bit temperamental and can be out of service occasionally or have it's alarm going off. Also there is no way for anyone to call your apartment from the main gate or for you to let someone in the main gate from your apartment so you have to come down to meet them. It makes deliveries a bit awkward.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I lived in one on the top floor about 15 years ago. Was a nice building to live in and the area was fine but I remember the fat being very cold and the heating being those crap storage heaters so I assume the insulation was useless or the walls like paper that you get in a lot of Celtic tiger builds. My advice would be to check the energy rating very carefully

Good to have info from someone who lived there. I was in the building along time ago and know that there are different apartment types.

The ones im looking at are the duplex on the top floor. Are those the type you lived in?

Been living here for the past few years. We find it very comfortable.
    We live on the river side though so cannot comment noise etc from Dock road.
    In general the building is well maintained and clean. It is very quiet with lots of families living here. Demographics have probably changed in recent years based on the experience of others noted above.
    Parking is in the public car park below the building. The residents card opens the locked gate so there is 24/7 access in and out.
    We find the storage heating perfectly fine. It is probably not that efficient but there is not that much space to heat either.
    Solid concrete walls between units seems to do a decent job of keeping noise from neighbours out.

Minor annoyances are the main lift in the middle of the complex is a bit temperamental and can be out of service occasionally or have it's alarm going off. Also there is no way for anyone to call your apartment from the main gate or for you to let someone in the main gate from your apartment so you have to come down to meet them. It makes deliveries a bit awkward.

Again great to have info from someone with direct experience. Im well used to annoyances of city apartments in limerick at this stage. Do you mind me asking are they single floor apartments on the Shannon side of the building?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Good to have info from someone who lived there. I was in the building along time ago and know that there are different apartment types.

The ones im looking at are the duplex on the top floor. Are those the type you lived in?

Ya that's where I was. The courtyard is really nice and people who have lived there more recently don't seem to have the problems I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Again great to have info from someone with direct experience. Im well used to annoyances of city apartments in limerick at this stage. Do you mind me asking are they single floor apartments on the Shannon side of the building?

I think all of the units in Bannantyne Place, the top level, including ours, are 2 story. Living area on ground floor and bedrooms/bathrooms upstairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement