Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who pays for damage

Options
  • 12-02-2021 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I do understand that this varries from one MUD to another, but I thought as a general rule if an apt window was broken from the outside ie a child throwing a stone then the repair is paid from the service charge, and if the window is broken fro the inside then the resident has to pay...well a child broke my window from the outside and the management company said i had to either pay or claim on the block insurance. I looked up the insurance which the management company claims is a good policy and it seems I have to pay the first 1000 euro towards a window being replaced which is usually about 200 euro.
    Also is the apt balcony flooring the responsibility of the service charge or the resident

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

beaufoy wrote: »
    I do understand that this varries from one MUD to another, but I thought as a general rule if an apt window was broken from the outside ie a child throwing a stone then the repair is paid from the service charge, and if the window is broken fro the inside then the resident has to pay...well a child broke my window from the outside and the management company said i had to either pay or claim on the block insurance. I looked up the insurance which the management company claims is a good policy and it seems I have to pay the first 1000 euro towards a window being replaced which is usually about 200 euro.
    Also is the apt balcony flooring the responsibility of the service charge or the resident

What happened the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A child broke the window? With a stone/ball? Did you see it? Accident or not damages will have to be paid for. Get onto the childs parents or their landlord. Your insurance will be permanently weighed if you claim in it and you can expect further policy hikes as a consequence if you claim on it. Report it to the gaurds and follow up with the parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

A child broke the window? With a stone/ball? Did you see it? Accident or not damages will have to be paid for. Get onto the childs parents or their landlord. Your insurance will be permanently weighed if you claim in it and you can expect further policy hikes as a consequence if you claim on it. Report it to the gaurds and follow up with the parents.

I'm sure Jacintha down the road will have no problem righting young Anto's wrong in the interest of fairness lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Glass is likely to be part of the apartment not the common area. The OMC didn’t cause the damage why would you think all members should pay for your window. As above replace yourself or go after the kid who broke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No you have to pay €200 for the glass to be replaced as the claim is less than the excess. If the claim was for €1001 you'd have to pay the excess of €1,000 and the insurance company would pay the remaining €1.

You can in theory chase up the person who broke the window, but even if it wasn't a child that broke the window getting money off people who don't want to pay in this country is nearly impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Del2005 wrote: »
    No you have to pay €200 for the glass to be replaced as the claim is less than the excess. If the claim was for €1001 you'd have to pay the excess of €1,000 and the insurance company would pay the remaining €1.

You can in theory chase up the person who broke the window, but even if it wasn't a child that broke the window getting money off people who don't want to pay in this country is nearly impossible.

would you consider a 1000 excess on a broken window claim a good insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

would you consider a 1000 excess on a broken window claim a good insurance policy

To be honest 1k excess on a block management policy is low!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The €1k excess is on any claims made on the block policy. Most house policies would have >€250 excess. My car excess is €250 and IIRC my bike excess is €350.

So if you have a claim for €200 you'd have to pay it with nearly every insurance policy available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Extremely good. It’s not a personal policy it’s a block policy covering 10s of millions of euro..depending on the size of the block. Most blocks are minimum €3k on any claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

On a job costing €200, yes, on a job costing €20k, no. Thing is, same excess applies to all claims, big and small covered by the insurance policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Dav010 wrote: »
    On a job costing €200, yes, on a job costing €20k, no. Thing is, same excess applies to all claims, big and small covered by the insurance policy.

it wood seem on the policy the excess for windows is 1000 and excess for flooding is 3000 and i believe for fire is 5000....bang goes your theory

Advertisement