Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands v Ireland COVID

Options
  • 12-02-2021 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

In Netherlands, tough lockdown with 9pm curfew, BUT no 5km nonsense, no police pestering people about where they are travelling to, allowed to meet 1 person a day, can be a different person each day and can be inside the home. Can travel anywhere in the country for a drive. Can visit a holiday home. And sports facilities open to non-elites!

Must be great to have a government that has trust in its people.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ah yeah, if we had all that, the 9pm curfew would be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Ah yeah, if we had all that, the 9pm curfew would be ignored.

Especially that the offie's are open till Ten.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,475 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Chivito550 wrote: »
    In Netherlands, tough lockdown with 9pm curfew, BUT no 5km nonsense, no police pestering people about where they are travelling to, allowed to meet 1 person a day, can be a different person each day and can be inside the home. Can travel anywhere in the country for a drive. Can visit a holiday home. And sports facilities open to non-elites!

Too many arseholes here have shown they can’t be trusted.

We are not like the Dutch, neither in sociological or physiological makeup.

Can you imagine you said to the needy **** here you could do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Strumms wrote: »
    Too many arseholes here have shown they can’t be trusted.

We are not like the Dutch, neither in sociological or physiological makeup.

Can you imagine you said to the needy **** here you could do that ?

Different restrictions are needed for each country, despite the severity of the outbreak. It's a different population with a different mindset.
    Government here introduce a guideline here and the immediate reaction from the public is how to get around it. The pubs opening as restaurants is a prime example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

[QUOTE=Wolf359f;116252340
    Government here introduce a guideline here and the immediate reaction from the public is how to get around it. The pubs opening as restaurants is a prime example.[/QUOTE]

Given no other country in Europe considered this radicicolous rule last summer, why shouldn't we?

Taliban Tony wouldn't have allowed us pubs at all only some bright sparks realised they were legally restaurants and the government couldn't be bothered getting involved in the legal mire of what is and is not a restaurant.

Your life must be very very sad if pubs re opening upset you that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Literally every country thinks their people are somehow uniquely disobedient and not following the rules and therefore are to blame for their outbreaks. Unlike all these other "good" countries. Its the same type of comments on forums in the US, and the UK too. Its nonsense. Its an airborne virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Plenty of riots in Netherlands over last while. They are equally as unhappy as us.

Don't cherry pick aspects of restrictions to claim we should be copying other countries, its lazy and a bit boring at this stage.

Irish people have shown they can’t and shouldn’t be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Irish people have shown they can’t and shouldn’t be trusted.

Shame! 25 Hail Marys!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Sports facilities aren't open. All non essential shops are closed since December. Alcohol can't be sold after 8. You can be stopped and searched by police for no reason. Daycare only opened again on Monday after being closed for 2 months.

You seem to have cherry picked the rules you like and ignored the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sports facilities aren't open. All non essential shops are closed since December. Alcohol can't be sold after 8. You can be stopped and searched by police for no reason. Daycare only opened again on Monday after being closed for 2 months.

You seem to have cherry picked the rules you like and ignored the rest.

I've been informed that outdoor athletics tracks are open for non elite athletes. Group training is not allowed though.

Here, I have to sprint on park paths, dodging walkers and dogs, because apparently a 400m outdoor track is too dangerous for me to engage in solo individual training on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Hi OP

Being honest, it's tough. I'm not really affected by the curfew but the idea of it is extremely oppressive- it really goes against the freedom and quality of life that I've always treasured here. The riots were terrifying, but the aftermath of people pulling together helped somewhat to restore my faith in the community spirit. I don't agree with the curfew, especially since it seems to have zero affect on the numbers and was extended even after a substantial decrease in said numbers. I really feel for those under 25. Their lives are unbelievably curtailed, and there's no way out in sight.

Being at home working with children under 6 is almost impossible. Myself and my husband's workloads have doubled too, and we are both essential workers. We get some help with emergency daycare and now the schools are back it's a bit easier, but we can't give our children our best because we're working longer hours and don't feel like there's any down time whatsoever. We'd love to take them to the cinema, or out to eat, or to a play park or museum but everything's closed. We've cancelled days out and family holidays that we're much looked forward to, and can't plan anything for the future.

Having said that, the rules are enforced. If you're caught out after curfew there's a fine, if you're breaking the rules on gatherings, you're fined, if you travel without good reason you're fined and PCR tests for travelling are mandatory. The bordering countries of Germany and Belgium are cooperating with the Netherlands in this respect.

I just hope that we will be able to drive to another country during the summer to take a break. We "behaved" ourselves last summer thinking that things would improve but massively regret that now and first chance we get we're outta here.

I've been informed that outdoor athletics tracks are open for non elite athletes. Group training is not allowed though.

Here, I have to sprint on park paths, dodging walkers and dogs, because apparently a 400m outdoor track is too dangerous for me to engage in solo individual training on.

Fair enough. Outdoor facilities are open but you can only train in groups of 2, you must have a booking and a health check is needed beforehand.
    Group sports are not allowed and indoor facilities are closed. I read your initial post as all sports facilities are open.

The measures here are similar enough to Ireland except we are allowed one visitor a day in our house. You can meet with one other household outdoors but we are limited to groups of 2.

You are restricted to 5KM of your home and we don't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You don't have to, you can just stay home.

Take a walk if you need fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why cant he train?

Personally running has a much better affect on my mental health than walking.

I agree with a curfew for the simple reason that it is really really clear cut - out after X and its a fine, none of the "I am only going to...." nonsense. Interesting to hear to poster aboves experience on it though, and they would be better informed than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Oh the humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why cant he train?

Personally running has a much better affect on my mental health than walking.

I agree with a curfew for the simple reason that it is really really clear cut - out after X and its a fine, none of the "I am only going to...." nonsense. Interesting to hear to poster aboves experience on it though, and they would be better informed than me.

S/He CAN train. But it's not compulsory.

Curfews sound great. But we have people working nightshifts in medical device factories, for example. Their work is essential, but a curfew would mean they had no transport to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Curfews sound great. But we have people working nightshifts in medical device factories, for example. Their work is essential, but a curfew would mean they had no transport to get home.

Of course it doesn't, the curfew is for people who are outside for no good reason. Work is a good reason- eg working a night shift or driving a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

S/He CAN train. But it's not compulsory.

Of course noone HAS to train, bar eat noone really HAS to do anything.

But we do what we can to get through this pandemic with our sanity intact.

Fair enough. Outdoor facilities are open but you can only train in groups of 2, you must have a booking and a health check is needed beforehand.
    Group sports are not allowed and indoor facilities are closed. I read your initial post as all sports facilities are open.

The measures here are similar enough to Ireland except we are allowed one visitor a day in our house. You can meet with one other household outdoors but we are limited to groups of 2.

You are restricted to 5KM of your home and we don't have that.

You would be amazed what a difference those little things would make to my mental health.

To be able to book myself in for solo training on an athletics track like I did last summer.

To be able to see a family member living 19km from where I am in a different county.

To be able to pop over to one of my many mates I have now not seen in 12 months.

• Advertisement

Because a sport I have dedicated myself to for 11 years is just not important?

It might not be important to you, but it's important to me.

A walk is not sufficient alternative for somebody who has spent 11 years training hard and competing. The sport is a huge part of my life.

I don't even need to be in a group to do it. I just need access to a track. Apparently that's too dangerous though!

Because a sport I have dedicated myself to for 11 years is just not important?

It might not be important to you, but it's important to me.

A walk is not sufficient alternative for somebody who has spent 11 years training hard and competing. The sport is a huge part of my life.

I don't even need to be in a group to do it. I just need access to a track. Apparently that's too dangerous though!

Just because it's important to you doesn't mean it's important in the bigger picture though. Suck it up, like many are having to.

Just because it's important to you doesn't mean it's important in the bigger picture though. Suck it up, like many are having to.

Explain to me how it makes any difference to the bigger picture that non-elite athletes are banned from outdoor tracks. Last summer (and in December) they had a booking system that allowed only 4 on a track for each time slot, and each person had to be training as an individual only.

I encountered less people than I do in my local park.

It's absolutely nuts and has no impact on virus levels.

I've been largely compliant and have kept contacts very low and avoided crowds for 11 months now. I can deal with that as I understand how it makes a difference.

I can't deal with restrictions that make no difference.

Explain to me how it makes any difference to the bigger picture that non-elite athletes are banned from outdoor tracks. Last summer (and in December) they had a booking system that allowed only 4 on a track for each time slot, and each person had to be training as an individual only.

I encountered less people than I do in my local park.

It's absolutely nuts and has no impact on virus levels.

I've been largely compliant and have kept contacts very low and avoided crowds for 11 months now. I can deal with that as I understand how it makes a difference.

I can't deal with restrictions that make no difference.

Everyone will always have some excuse why the things they want to do should be allowed over everything else. It's been a pattern of this whole thing.

You would be amazed what a difference those little things would make to my mental health.

To be able to book myself in for solo training on an athletics track like I did last summer.

To be able to see a family member living 19km from where I am in a different county.

To be able to pop over to one of my many mates I have now not seen in 12 months.

I understand how it would help mental health. I managed to play one game of soccer in 12 months. At least you can still train for your sport. I can't go to the gym or train for the sport i play.

I haven't seen friends or family in 12 months either as they live in a different country.

I cant leave the house after 9pm which is simply not the case in Ireland. this made quite a big difference as i went for a walk in the evening time a bit once my kid was asleep after balancing childminding and work as the daycares were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

a friend drove to belfast this week (legit reason) says you wouldnt know theres a lockdown there

Everyone will always have some excuse why the things they want to do should be allowed over everything else. It's been a pattern of this whole thing.

Because common sense doesn't exist in this country. You suppress a virus by stopping gatherings. It's as simple as that. Anything else is unnecessary.

Because common sense doesn't exist in this country. You suppress a virus by stopping gatherings. It's as simple as that. Anything else is unnecessary.

Unnecessary because it's affecting something you want to do. We've heard all this before from so many different people about so many different things.

I understand how it would help mental health. I managed to play one game of soccer in 12 months. At least you can still train for your sport. I can't go to the gym or train for the sport i play.

I haven't seen friends or family in 12 months either as they live in a different country.

I cant leave the house after 9pm which is simply not the case in Ireland. this made quite a big difference as i went for a walk in the evening time a bit once my kid was asleep after balancing childminding and work as the daycares were closed.

The thing is I can't train for my sport. I'm a sprinter so I need access to a track and gym, neither of which I have access to anymore. It's the same for jumpers and throwers. Admittedly distance runners are less impacted. But not all of us runners are distance runners.

Sprinting on paths, grass and roads is the equivalent of practicing your tennis against the wall of a house. There's very little you get from it.

• Advertisement

Unnecessary because it's affecting something you want to do. We've heard all this before from so many different people about so many different things.

Explain to me why other countries allow such things? The Dutch for example.

Same virus.

Advertisement