Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar power idea. Mobile.

Options
  • 12-02-2021 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Hope your well.

Can I ask for but of help please.

Im thinking of using a bit of power electrical, I have a mobile home, on a site that's off the grid at the moment till im ready for the main project of building.
    (It's not me personally, a friend & I said to him why don't you do ...... ,but I'm not sure if it can be done, so here goes....)

If I get a solar panel.. & a car 12v battery... & Some 2.5 cable.... A double plug socket.

If I put the panel in the garden, then run a + - cable from that to my car 12v battery, then a 2.5 cable from the battery with a plug socket on the other end & then plug a 12v 1kw heater in,

Will this work, will it give me heater in the night time.?

What size panel would I get.?

Can this be done for short temporary time (say few weeks)

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

No not practical. 110ah battery has 1320 watt hours of power (only 50% usable) so drawing 1000 watts from it would last less than an hour and anyway would kill a car battery. Recharging from solar would be impossible at the moment due to low light levels. So go for a gas or oil heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭giesha

Thanks Freddy.

Would my idea above work on any 12v heater.

I have a small I mean very small panel in the garden & a cable plugged into it going to little lights. In the panel is 3 as batteries.

Hence my idea.

Thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Solar is not ideal for long term constant power as you need a lot of solar input for high load items which makes it expensive in the wrong application. Using electric heating at 12v means your current is very high so big cables and safety controls and lots of battery capacity to store it. Your lights will draw tiny amounts of power compared with a heater. I would stick with oil or gas to avoid disappointment in this application. In fact a chinese diesel heater would be a good option as they are very cheap to run and do work well. With a solar panel and battery you would supply enough power to run this at 12v. You can also get a heat exchanger added for hot water.
    I bought them for under 100 euro.

Thanks Freddy, for the info & help understanding the idea.
    I'm trying to keep mind open for ideas to help my friend, (think they'd do the same for me ).

I'm looking at your normal building site Jenny to power hot water tank & pump to heat rads & the lights plugs, & have 2 jenny's 1 for night (say 12 midnight till 6 & the other from 6 am till midnight, as this 1 won't be using such a load, in the daytime they're be at work & school).

Thanks for the help, if I need a bit of help can I ask again.?

Thanks mate

hi freddy / all.

im back ..
    can i ask you what you think of my next idea.

in this static caravan of my fiends, its off the grid, so now i thought about the set up like we & many others have for heating..the stove method, but using lpg.

i found this online ..
    a lpg water heater.

https://gasproducts.co.uk/cointra-11-litres-per-minute-gas-water-heater.html?currency=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAiAjp6BBhAIEiwAkO9Wukhtn2MkgRtLmn0zWxX9Ie8ueGAHCH0jGnYx3h1E0L5fO6bJx3jNRBoCL9UQAvD_BwE

i take it that this item gets plugged into a gas bottle. & in turn gas heats the water.

i have a few questions on it tho. if 1 of you folks can help me with. please.

would i be able to connect this to a copper cylinder for hot water to heat the caravan & also for drinking water.?
    would it produce enough hot water to heat 3 small rads & 2 medium rads, & also the washing of pots & pans.?
    would it be to costly on gas bottles.?

Also i need a wash ..a shower is better, & i understand shower units like a nice drop of electric & if im of the grid, mains is a no go.

would the above unit give us enough also for a quick shower every 2 days say.?

im thinking of a petrol jenny for electric power,

https://ige.ie/pacini-3-5kva-petrol-7hp-generator/?gclid=CjwKCAiAjp6BBhAIEiwAkO9WuhYyI7a_2F4tG5mU2cS3Bf5bEEOSeyILtS_wvZp48U8q0g676xUElBoC9ngQAvD_BwE

would the jenny above power a caravan, using most of the essentials,.. tv .. f/freezer.. kettle.. toaster.. ?

i doubt it would power a small shower. ?

so i keep f/freezer on permentlly & have a shower. ..

what you think.?

thanks all

• Advertisement
Advertisement