Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth: Meadowbrook & Carton Court vs Moyglare Hall

Options
  • 12-02-2021 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone from Maynooth know why there is such a difference in price between these locations?

Given, the older houses are Meadowbrook/Carton Court are C3 vs A3 rated but overall there is a huge pricing gap from around 330k to 390-400k for Moyglare Hall. Does it really cost 60/70k to upgrade Ber from C3 to A3.

Does anyone know why there is a such a big difference in price?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

The older houses just seem to be cheaper, I think both are better locations than Moyglare Hall, I quite like Carton Court, big houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

MH are recently built, so will have more modern and nicer units and finishes and decorating than most older houses (unless they were recently renovated), as well as probably better insulation, plumbing, electrics etc.
    Same as anywhere else really, you'll be paying more for newer, better specced homes.

It doesn't cost that much to get the BER up, but it's everything else you have to take into account. A few grand here, a few grand there, and it quickly adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,789 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Meadowbrook is still difficult to insure due to a historic flood; there have been significant corrective measures and it has not repeated. The 4 beds have an awful cramped layout also.

Carton Court houses are just old. Some have had upgrades but you would be looking at rewiring, heating and insulation upgrades if not already done - lots are just cosmetic and didn't address that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

L1011 wrote: »
    Meadowbrook is still difficult to insure due to a historic flood; there have been significant corrective measures and it has not repeated. The 4 beds have an awful cramped layout also.

Carton Court houses are just old. Some have had upgrades but you would be looking at rewiring, heating and insulation upgrades if not already done - lots are just cosmetic and didn't address that.

Would those things add up to the huge gap of like 60/70k? Just wondering what is the better option as I do like Moyglare.

Is the Moyglare house new?

HTB adds a 30k distortion to the market for new houses.

• Advertisement

Is the Moyglare house new?

HTB adds a 30k distortion to the market for new houses.

Nope not new

Any other reasons? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

MattS1 wrote: »
    Any other reasons? Thanks in advance.

Whats the relative number of houses in each estate rented to students.

Whats the relative number of houses in each estate rented to students.

I wouldn't know that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

MH had some students, but it's not a high proportion.

• Advertisement

So there's no real real in such a large gap in price really?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

MattS1 wrote: »
    So there's no real real in such a large gap in price really?

Upgrading a large house in CC would easily cost 50K plus. Poorly insulated and would need windows and doors at least (if no work has been done on them)

The big plus would be the size of the garden and being on the motorway side of the town.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Upgrading a large house in CC would easily cost 50K plus. Poorly insulated and would need windows and doors at least (if no work has been done on them)

The big plus would be the size of the garden and being on the motorway side of the town.

Sorry what's CC? I presume you mean big plus with the older houses is the garden size etc?

Carton Court.

Garden sizes in 70s and to a lesser extent 80s houses in Maynooth are vastly larger than new ones. There's some absolute monsters in Kingsbry for instance.

Carton Court.

Garden sizes in 70s and to a lesser extent 80s houses in Maynooth are vastly larger than new ones. There's some absolute monsters in Kingsbry for instance.

I suppose that's a plus point for those so. So I guess it's just the difference in rating and newer estate which drives the 60/70k higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Out of those 3 Carton Court is definitely the nicest estate nice and quiet long established estate Meadowbrook can be quite lively with gaf parties and anti social behaviour and the houses are so cold you'd be better off outside and Moyglare hall while the houses are newer it is the arsehole of nowhere.

I would say Moyglare is a bit outside but similar distance to some of CC. On the nicer side of the town as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

With the new entrance MH is much nearer the town now. It's not too far to walk to Manor Mills etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

With the new entrance MH is much nearer the town now. It's not too far to walk to Manor Mills etc

Ah I assumed that was mythical well since that's open yeah Moyglare Hall is a good option so.

Advertisement