Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are 'anti racist' NGO's so racist to the Irish? *Threadbanned user list in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

RandRuns wrote: »
    Yet again Andrew, The Great Asker Of Questions, fails to answer one.

Why should I provide information to a question I didn't ask? You are a busted flush Andrew, the same tactic every time.

I thought it fairly obvious that the questions were rhetorical. I wasn't looking for answers at all. We both know the answers - that you know nothing about theatre funding or participation levels, but you still decided to get all excited and offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I thought it fairly obvious that the questions were rhetorical. I wasn't looking for answers at all. We both know the answers - that you know nothing about theatre funding or participation levels, but you still decided to get all excited and offended.

Backtracking effort 2/10.

So you admit you were talking rubbish again, and have nothing to back up your statements?

Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

To be honest, I'm more interested in the fact that he thinks systemic racism exists in 99.99% of funding schemes.

That is a hell of a charge to make. Where is his evidence?

These people are fantasists, they have no regard for things as such. What they feel is true, is true, hence why argumentation never works. You'll see it on here time and time again, when similar minded people are regularly proven wrong.

There's a good chunk of "progressive" posters on boards, especially the ones posting for years, who I've been monitoring to see if they ever wake up, and reflect on their views, and realize that they are wrong on nearly every prediction that they make. They never do though, not even one of them. They simply continue believing everything they believe, no matter how much said beliefs conflict with reality. It's the main reason I try not to engage with people like that, as it's pointless.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

biko wrote: »
    They just guess.

Almost like the guesswork about the level of NGO funding and the nature of services funded in this thread.

Backtracking effort 2/10.

So you admit you were talking rubbish again, and have nothing to back up your statements?

Thought so.

I have absolutely no knowledge of theatre funding or participation levels.

It is interesting to note the large number of posters who share my level of ignorance, but have already categorically decided that this is a bad idea.

• Advertisement

I have absolutely no knowledge of theatre funding or participation levels.

We know. Believe me, we all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Excluding the bast majority of Irish people is not what we should fund. How this blatant anti white racism is allowed is shocking.

I've applied. I'm a person of colour. White/pink skin, red hair, brown freckles, white teeth, brown eyes.

Are you seriously justifying this?? You think it's perfectly fine to discriminate based on skin colour ?

It IS perfectly fine to implement positive action measures to address historic discrimination or disadvantage.

It's great to see all the sudden interest in arts funding too.

Do you think it's perfectly fine to discriminate against non disabled people like this?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_and_disability/grant_aid_scheme_for_employers_with_disabled_staff.html

We know. Believe me, we all know.

Indeed. And we all know that we're all coming from the same low base on this. Or am I the only one being honest?

It IS perfectly fine to implement positive action measures to address historic discrimination or disadvantage.

Do you think it's perfectly fine to discriminate against non disabled people like this?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_and_disability/grant_aid_scheme_for_employers_with_disabled_staff.html

When, historically, in Ireland, were black people discriminated against, or disadvantaged??

• Advertisement

When, historically, in Ireland, were black people discriminated against, or disadvantaged??

Have you met many black Irish playwrights?

Whats that got to do with the question I asked?

I've never met an Irish playwright of any colour. There's your question answered, any chance of you answering mine??

I like the way you specified "met" so that you can shoot down any information you are given as always.

Here are two to start off with:

- Kunle Animashaun and Camino Productions.
    Kunle Animashaun is the Artistic Director of Camino Productions, and also directs their shows. Animashaun and Camino’s work includes creating devised work and staging plays by African playwrights.

- Bisi Adigun and Arambe Productions
    Bisi Adigun has written and produced a number of plays with Arambe Productions, as well as creating devised productions with the company.

How many Irish playwrights do you know working in theatre in, say, Nigeria?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Where has this happened in Ireland? Furnish us with some evidence of systemic discrimination in this case.

Where has this happened in Ireland? Furnish us with some evidence of systemic discrimination in this case.

He'll furnish you with nothing. Look at his posting history on this and other threads - he demands evidence to back up every statement by other posters, which he then either ignores or denies, but never provides backup for any of the statements he comes out with himself. He has received warnings recently for it.

What kind of question is that? I haven't met many playwrights with green eyes either... Unless you have proof they are actively being discriminated against, your point is irrelevant. So again, the question was - have Black people been historically discriminated against as playwrights in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes there are Irish racists.
    I remember a number of years ago seeing racism in broad daylight in an industrial estate in Dublin.
    I was shocked and the guy that it was leveled at was slightly bemused as the gimps doing it from the car were telling him to go back to Africa even though he looked Asian and he was.
    To me it also highlighted how the ones doing it were as thick as pigshyte.

But the problem now is those gimps can point to the reverse racism and perceived ungratefulness of the likes of Joseph and her ilk and it ends up drawing more people to their mindset.

People who question bogus asylum seekers, the dumping of mainly young male refugees onto unprepared and totally incompatible communities, etc are now labeled as racists.
    Anyone that questions the narrative spewed out by the modern left wing, the left leaning media and social media brigades is seen as someone following Mosley or Hitler.

RTE used to try and offer some semblance of balance with the likes of Ian O'Doherty to counter the likes of Liam Cunningham, but they have now given up on even that.

If you demonise, dismiss, ridicule and ultimately abandon people then you will force people to turn to the other side.

This is what happened in the rustbelt in the US and one can see it in places like Pas de Calais where the FN have replaced the left in power.

Why did right wing parties suddenly start to grow in European countries that had been centrist or left for the most part since WWII.

The thing that worries me is that the right, the real right, will rise again simply because the left and centre are so far up their own holes they can't see it.

We have politicians pandering to social media eejits and forgetting their own people.

Trump has been a warning and the worry should not be that Trump will come back, but that the next one courting the worst of his followers will be smart and somewhat competent.
    A lot of countries seem to be sleep walking their way back to the 30s.

I am not allowed discuss …

How many Irish playwrights do you know working in theatre in, say, Nigeria?
    I'm not sure I'm seeing the relevance of what is happening in the Nigerian theatre scene to a discussion about Irish NGOs.
    He'll furnish you with nothing. Look at his posting history on this and other threads - he demands evidence to back up every statement by other posters, which he then either ignores or denies, but never provides backup for any of the statements he comes out with himself. He has received warnings recently for it.

Randy is right on this one, you'll get nothing out of me on this. As noted above, I know next to nothing about the Irish theatre scene. I do know that Fishamble have been around for a long time, seems like for ever, so I'd guess they'd have their fingers on the pulse of the issue - much more so than me, or any other poster on the thread - though interestingly the lack of knowledge or information didn't stop anyone from deciding that this outreach initiative was a bad, bad thing.
    jmayo wrote: »
    I remember a number of years ago seeing racism in broad daylight in an industrial estate in Dublin.
    I was shocked and the guy that it was leveled at was slightly bemused as the gimps doing it from the car were telling him to go back to Africa even though he looked Asian and he was.

But the problem now is those gimps can point to the reverse racism and perceived ungratefulness of the likes of Joseph and her ilk and it ends up drawing more people to their mindset.

People who question bogus asylum seekers, the dumping of mainly young male refugees onto unprepared and totally incompatible communities, etc are now labeled as racists.
    Anyone that questions the narrative spewed out by the modern left wing, the left leaning media and social media brigades is seen as someone following Mosley or Hitler.

RTE used to try and offer some semblance of balance with the likes of Ian O'Doherty to counter the likes of Liam Cunningham, but they have now given up on even that.

If you demonise, dismiss, ridicule and ultimately abandon people then you will force people to turn to the other side.

This is what happened in the rustbelt in the US and one can see it in places like Pas de Calais where the FN have replaced the left in power.

Why did right wing parties suddenly start to grow in European countries that had been centrist or left for the most part since WWII.

The thing that worries me is that the right, the real right, will rise again simply because the left and centre are so far up their own holes they can't see it.

We have politicians pandering to social media eejits and forgetting their own people.

Trump has been a warning and the worry should not be that Trump will come back, but that the next one courting the worst of his followers will be smart and somewhat competent.

'perceived ungratefulness' is an interesting concept. Are people supposed to tug their forelock and say yasssir nosir to the big man in the big house or what? I guess that religious charity 'black babies' stuff has a lot to answer for the deeply embedded preference of charity over rights.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the relevance of what is happening in the Nigerian theatre scene to a discussion about Irish NGOs.

Randy is right on this one, you'll get nothing out of me on this. As noted above, I know next to nothing about the Irish theatre scene. I do know that Fishamble have been around for a long time, seems like for ever, so I'd guess they'd have their fingers on the pulse of the issue - much more so than me, or any other poster on the thread - though interestingly the lack of knowledge or information didn't stop anyone from deciding that this outreach initiative was a bad, bad thing.

'perceived ungratefulness' is an interesting concept. Are people supposed to tug their forelock and say yasssir nosir to the big man in the big house or what? I guess that religious charity 'black babies' stuff has a lot to answer for the deeply embedded preference of charity over rights.

Any chance of my question being answered?? I answered yours.

No chance at all - see above. How this troll is allowed to continue to drag any thread he disapproves of all over the place like this is beyond me.

• Advertisement

I've explained twice that I know next to nothing about the theatre sector, so I'm not in a position to say much about what kind of advantage or disadvantage occurs there. Do you know enough about the sector to state that there is no such disadvantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

These are some of the NGOs that deal with immigrants into Ireland.

Cross care migrant project
    Doras Luimni
    ENAR European Network Against Racism
    INAR Irish Network Against Racism
    MRCI
    Irish Refugee council
    Immigrant Council of Ireland
    Development Perspectives

Not all immigrants of course as most EU immigrants do not bother with this, they just move here.

Cursorily browsing images of the various NGO staff and members two things strike me.
    The huge overrepresentation of white females.
    No SE Asians, only MENA.

Like asked in UN - is everyone in Ireland in an NGO?

It has become its own taxpayer-funded industry.
    The question is - are these people working in your best interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

jmayo wrote: »

The vast majority of the west is white. Yet apparently these days, being white is wrong and you should be ashamed of being born white.

Yep, absolutely nothing wrong at all could possibly come from telling billions of people they should be ashamed of their skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

Doras Luimni
    MRCI
    Irish Refugee council
    Development Perspectives

Not all immigrants of course as most EU immigrants do not bother with this, they just move here.

Cursorily browsing images of the various NGO staff and members two things strike me.
    No SE Asians, only MENA.

Are all of the above organisations funded by the Irish Taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yet another 'discussion' on racism in the Current Affairs/ IMHO thread......as ever, the same voices, the same points of view.

Always comes back to the same issue for me. What is the demographics of boards.

randd1 wrote: »
    The vast majority of the west is white. Yet apparently these days, being white is wrong and you should be ashamed of being born white.

Yep, absolutely nothing wrong at all could possibly come from telling billions of people they should be ashamed of their skin colour.

Yet strangely these people never want to push diversity in huge countries like Nigeria, which is nearly 100% black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Yet another 'discussion' on racism in the Current Affairs/ IMHO thread......as ever, the same voices, the same points of view.

Always comes back to the same issue for me. What is the demographics of boards.

Complains about racism, yet is moaning about the demographic posting about the topic. SELF AWARENESS LEVEL -100

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Doras Luimni
    MRCI
    Irish Refugee council
    Development Perspectives

No SE Asians, only MENA.

Are you suggesting that there should be a quota for employment of SE Asians perhaps, or positive action measures to help them to address this gap?

Is ENAR actually in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Whats that got to do with the question I asked?

I've never met an Irish playwright of any colour. There's your question answered, any chance of you answering mine??

Apart from the guy who wrote a play with Roddy Doyle and then sued him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Doras Luimni
    MRCI
    Irish Refugee council
    Development Perspectives

No SE Asians, only MENA.

The MRCI does excellent work in identifying the poor working conditions and injustices of foreign born workers - generally in the tough jobs that Paddy doesn't work in anymore.
    Also instances of pretty much modern day slavery here.

No one else is doing that work.

Not happy to see anyone shafted by a crappy employer, be they black, white or multicoloured.

And noone in there is earning a big bucks either, as far as I know.

I have a huge amount of respect for their work.

Advertisement