Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are 'anti racist' NGO's so racist to the Irish? *Threadbanned user list in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Irish network against racism
    United against racism
    MASI
    European network against racism
    NASC
    lecheile

etc etc etc. 10 a penny they are.

Is this more of your exaggeration? Let's take a closer look.

United against Racism and ENAR are both European organisations. No Irish presence, no Irish office, no Irish funding. So I'm not sure whey they would be mentioned here.

MASI is not funded, so no Irish tax payer involvement.

LeChelie is a new network organisation, no office, no staff as far as I can see - they have a website (a really crap one) and a Facebook page. So no evidence of any funding or taxpayer support there.

So of the 6 organisations you mention, two thirds of them do not fit your complaint at all. INAR and NASC might possibly fit your criteria.

So again, a long way from the 'ten a penny' that you claim. It's actually two organisations.

What is it about anti-racism that stirs you to exaggerate your complaints and concerns so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

enricoh wrote: »
    This guy gets all the honeyz, well he says so on the internet so it must be fact.

I think it’s safe to conclude that he’s a honey-free zone, regardless of what background the ‘honey’ pollinates..

Ebun Joseph is a total condradiction.
    An African woman who moved to Ireland, got a much sought after job as a university lecturer and spends her time telling the Irish people what horrible racists they are.

If we are as racist as she claims, she would have been given the boot from her job as soon as she opened her mouth.
    I can think of several countries off the top of my head where if she tried what she has done here she would be either deported or jailed.

The fact that she is able to continue calling us a racist country who hate all black people only goes to show that we aren't.

I'm not quite following your logic here. Because she can speak openly about racism, this means that there are no racists in Ireland? What's the connection between the two things? Is it possible, for example, that she does experience racism from Irish people on a regular basis AND is also able to speak about that racism relatively freely?

I'm not sure that she's an employee of any university btw. It looks like she lectures at UCD, but lots of people lecture without being actual employees.
    Hamachi wrote: »
    The obsession is evident on both sides of the debate. Have a read of the posting history of that peculiar poster above. It’s replete with sweeping statements about Asian women, White men, mixed race this, ad nauseam..

Really a very odd mindset, suggestive of quite a disturbed outlook

Ah, the old Trumpian tactic of 'good people on all sides', or 'bad people' in this particular case. Let's try and spread the brown stuff all round to make it smell a bit less eh?

Ebun Joseph is a total condradiction.
    An African woman who moved to Ireland, got a much sought after job as a university lecturer and spends her time telling the Irish people what horrible racists they are..

She is a buffoon and is best ignored. Deprive her of the oxygen of attention. A toxic, embittered woman who adds nothing to the cultural or social life of her adopted nation.

Just to clarify the ‘moved here’ narrative. Whilst technically true, her transplantation to Ireland was under duress. I have it on good authority that her UK visa was nearing expiry; she ‘moved’ here in 2002 to avail of our extraordinarily lax jus soli citizenship arrangements that prevailed at that time. Her subsequent gender studies education has been entirely funded by the Irish taxpayer.

Truly, a toxic individual who ought to show some gratitude to this nation for our largesse.

Ah, the old Trumpian tactic of 'good people on all sides', or 'bad people' in this particular case. Let's try and spread the brown stuff all round to make it smell a bit less eh?

‘Trumpian’?

Pretty revealing of the manner in which you plan to engage.

• Advertisement

‘Trumpian’?

Pretty revealing of the manner in which you plan to engage.

If the cap fits.....

If the cap fits.....

Whatever you say andy cap...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I understand and accept that by default most people in Ireland are not racist, and most of their friends are not racist, and as a consequence that gets projected into a narrative that "Ireland is not racist",
    Actually I would contend that racism/prejudice against the different is very much in play in Ireland. It's in play everywhere else, why should we be any different? The main difference is that we've only had the multicultural experience for 20 years, so it's still in the early days of novelty to some degree. Even so in the birthright citizenship referendum in 04 when everything was apparently on the up in our "celtic tiger" the votes to remove it were a higher percentage than any other recent referendum of the last 20 odd years. 80% and no constituency dropped below 70%. 80% of Irish voters didn't want any more non EU citizens on the back of having children here. I'd be willing to bet if the same referendum was held today that percentage would remain the same, maybe even grow.
    I'm white, Irish, male, in my 40s and relatively rich. I work hard, always have and deserve what I've got. I'm a fairly relaxed person.

If I was black I suspect I would not be.
    Oh quite likely not. It's one of the reasons why I don't believe multiculturalism where people stand out from the native population in colour, creed, or culture as a politic and social experiment works or will ever work. Not least for those seen as most different by virtue of the same colour, creed, or culture. Some will of course do well, but as we've seen in other nations in Europe, they're the minority among many demographics. Nobody has been able to shift this narrative by much and I can't see us doing so.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Is it possible, for example, that she does experience racism from Irish people on a regular basis AND is also able to speak about that racism relatively freely?

She probably does experience some actual racism... but how much of what she experiences is based on her own perception, or based on other forms of reactions not based on race?

For example, the way she speaks bothers me a little, and I'd likely avoid speaking with her. That's not down to her race. That's down to her attitudes, and the manner in which she expresses herself. It's probably not a terribly nice thing for me to do, in avoiding her due to my hangup, but it's not racist. I know a variety of white people who annoy the crap out of me, and I avoid.

When people go looking for racism, they're going to find it because they can attribute to racism, a hundred possible slights we all receive every day, for all manner of reasons. If you say hello to someone and they don't respond. Could that be racism? Sure. Or it could be that they're listening to music, or thinking about an upcoming presentation, and didn't hear you. Or simply they don't want to talk to you.

The problem here is that she, and others, have skin in the game. It's in their interests to promote the belief that racism is commonplace. Even for the average Black person in Ireland, there are a host of advantages to claiming racism, either due to benefits that might be implemented to protect said minority, or simply the advantages of having people around you afraid of being labelled a racist.

She is a buffoon and is best ignored. Deprive her of the oxygen of attention. A toxic, embittered woman who adds nothing to the cultural or social life of her adopted nation.

I disagree. Stand up to her. Meet her claims with logic, and facts.

Modern radical feminism gained huge momentum by running on the back of traditional feminism, and people dismissed them as being nutters, but they've managed to get a wide variety of their aims achieved. It's the same with the PC and woke movements in the US, and UK, where people sought to ignore them, and then woke up to find the government implementing laws that pandered to the woke crowd.

Ignoring these issues is not going to make them go away. The last 30 years have shown repeatedly that ignoring such people, and such movements, merely gives them the space to become established, and grow.

She should be resisted whenever she speaks, and the media should be brought to account for promoting her agenda. People should be calling her on those claims, and demanding proof... otherwise she can say whatever she likes, and I'm pretty sure, RTE aren't going to bother fact checking her claims. There are still a lot of people gullible or trusting enough of RTE to believe them when such reports are made.
    Truly, a toxic individual who ought to show some gratitude to this nation for our largesse.

Agreed... but we live in a world that has embraced entitlement culture, and generally speaking, migrants themselves have seen how weak Europe is to such claims. There are just too many advantages for someone who claims to be a victim... which means more people will jump on that gravy train. Until it's halted in it's tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

What a peculiar, unverified statement to make. I’ve said it before on another thread, but much of the commentary from you on this forum, reveals a thoroughly race-obsessed mindset, that’s frankly borderline creepy. It certainly provides an insight into the skewed prism through which you view human interaction.

Now let’s challenge your odd little statement with some facts. The % of interracial relationships in the United States varies dramatically by ethnic group. Amongst African Americans, it’s ~15% and heavily skewed towards black men. Amongst Asians and Hispanics, it’s ~25%. Asian women are far more likely to be involved in an interracial relationship vs. Asian men. For Hispanics, the propensity is equally distributed by gender.

Meanwhile, Whites have by far the lowest rates of extra-racial marriage, mostly because they have a a far wider pool of potential partners, from which to choose. ~9% of white men and ~7% of white women marry interracially. It should also be noted that 45% of all interracial marriages involving whites are to Hispanics, many of whom are also European-descended.

That’s the facts. The evil white man isn’t going around spreading his seed everywhere. In fact, white people are remarkably endogamous, displaying a strong preference to marry within their own racial group.

I find your mindset disturbing. It’s symptomatic of shall we say, some very odd thought patterns, that is overlayed with a faux concern for ethnic minorities. Weird and unusual..

Speaking of weird and unusual, isn't it strange that the so-called progressive posters do not respond to posts (like above) where a certain level of intellectual capacity is required? I am sure that I will be classified as Trumpian or Nazi or both for pointing that out.
    By the way, did you notice that 2 of Trump's lawyers yesterday at the impeachment trail had kippahs (skullcaps) on? But I thought Trump was a Nazi or something. Maybe the progressive left are just confused about all of this, but it does make them look very foolish.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Speaking of weird and unusual, isn't it strange that the so-called progressive posters do not respond to posts (like above) where a certain level of intellectual capacity is required? I am sure that I will be classified as Trumpian or Nazi or both for pointing that out.l.

Indeed. The default response from one character is to label me ‘Trumpian’, despite the fact that my interest in US politics is minimal.

Not to labor the point, but I find some of the attitudes to race displayed by several posters as genuinely disturbing. Beneath the faux concern, they’re borderline obsessed with racial background and seek to inject it into conversation whenever possible.

It’s a weird obsession that thankfully gains little traction offline, amongst normal, well balanced people with full lives.

She probably does experience some actual racism... but how much of what she experiences is based on her own perception, or based on other forms of reactions not based on race?

For example, the way she speaks bothers me a little, and I'd likely avoid speaking with her. That's not down to her race. That's down to her attitudes, and the manner in which she expresses herself. It's probably not a terribly nice thing for me to do, in avoiding her due to my hangup, but it's not racist. I know a variety of white people who annoy the crap out of me, and I avoid.

When people go looking for racism, they're going to find it because they can attribute to racism, a hundred possible slights we all receive every day, for all manner of reasons. If you say hello to someone and they don't respond. Could that be racism? Sure. Or it could be that they're listening to music, or thinking about an upcoming presentation, and didn't hear you. Or simply they don't want to talk to you.

The problem here is that she, and others, have skin in the game. It's in their interests to promote the belief that racism is commonplace. Even for the average Black person in Ireland, there are a host of advantages to claiming racism, either due to benefits that might be implemented to protect said minority, or simply the advantages of having people around you afraid of being labelled a racist.

Isn't all racism based on the recipient's own perception? Nothing unusual about that.

I don't think I've ever heard the lady speak tbh. I've heard loads of complaints about her from the usual suspects on boards, which generally leads me to conclude that she's doing a good job at whatever she's doing.

I'm not quite getting your 'advantages of claiming racism' in fairness. The only people afraid of being labelled as racist are racists. Others don't get labelled as racist. How are benefits to protect someone from racism an 'advantage'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Speaking of weird and unusual, isn't it strange that the so-called progressive posters do not respond to posts (like above) where a certain level of intellectual capacity is required? I am sure that I will be classified as Trumpian or Nazi or both for pointing that out.
    By the way, did you notice that 2 of Trump's lawyers yesterday at the impeachment trail had kippahs (skullcaps) on? But I thought Trump was a Nazi or something. Maybe the progressive left are just confused about all of this, but it does make them look very foolish.

I think they are probably just confused by that post, isn't it inadvertently pointing towards white americans being more racist than the others

Are we all supposed to respond to every post now?

And did you not notice Trump's support for Isreal and attacks on Palestine over the past four years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Isn't all racism based on the recipient's own perception? Nothing unusual about that.

I don't think I've ever heard the lady speak tbh. I've heard loads of complaints about her from the usual suspects on boards, which generally leads me to conclude that she's doing a good job at whatever she's doing.

I'm not quite getting your 'advantages of claiming racism' in fairness. The only people afraid of being labelled as racist are racists. Others don't get labelled as racist. How are benefits to protect someone from racism an 'advantage'?

Jesus Christ. No wonder you have the opinions you do when your way of thinking is so flawed. Maybe you should listen to her speak and find out her opinions, and maybe then you will understand why the 'usual suspects' have so many complaints about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

FTA69 wrote: »
    It isn’t a lie at all to say the National Party are far right what with their program of turning Ireland into a theocracy, opposition to democracy and links with continental neo-Nazis.

The National Party got 0.2 percent of the vote in last year's general election. Hardly worth all this hand-wringing, is it? If the far right was genuinely on the rise in Ireland, it would be reflected in how people vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Invidious wrote: »
    The National Party got 0.2 percent of the vote in last year's general election. Hardly worth all this hand-wringing, is it? If the far right was genuinely on the rise in Ireland, it would be reflected in how people vote.

The desperation some people have on boards for there to be an actual far-right in Ireland is bewildering. People like Gemma of Doherty and that Justin Barret fella live inside these people's heads.

I have said before that the biggest danger to Ireland is the far-left, considering they have actual support, TD's, councillors and those even farther to the left who are willing to carry out terrorist attacks on this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

The desperation some people have on boards for there to be an actual far-right in Ireland is bewildering.

It follows the classic pattern of making people believe in a strawman, and then profit by setting up NGOs to combat that strawman.

Just as there are more people employed by homeless charities than there are actual homeless people, I'd say there are far more people employed in NGOs dedicated to stopping the rise of the far right in Ireland than there are actual members of the far-right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The extreme left and dodgy NGOs need a far-right to justify their existence. Even if they have to create one themselves. The reality is the far right in Ireland are an unorganised mish mash of a handful of people.

The more people that tag along, the more of those dodgy regional INAR groups they can create, the more government funding they can count on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Do you not see the stupidity of the above? It gives a license to people to abuse the term for power, to destroy the lives of others, with no need for evidence. How would you feel if we treated pedophilia or something similar the same way? I could call you a pedophile because I think it is so, then you are judged to be a pedo because of that. Do you not see how insane that is?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The desperation some people have on boards for there to be an actual far-right in Ireland is bewildering. People like Gemma of Doherty and that Justin Barret fella live inside these people's heads.

I have said before that the biggest danger to Ireland is the far-left, considering they have actual support, TD's, councillors and those even farther to the left who are willing to carry out terrorist attacks on this island.

You'd swear the far right never firebombed a hotel or a TDs car at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What on Earth have the so called 'Far-Left' done?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I haven't heard of this.
    Where and when did that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Unlikely. It would take four or five decades for that to happen, with increased numbers of migration, and higher birthrates than are currently happening (for migrants).
    It's happening sooner than that, not the whole of the country, but pockets of it, to a point where Irish people will have to relocate to find and settle with someone of their race.

Even taking your 50 years as best case scenario, that's still a very short time considering Ireland has been white for 1000s of years, as far back as history goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Why am I, a white man, the real victim of racism?

We should probably just accept that Boards has become the new online home for Ireland's loopy far-right. The mods and admins seem to have accepted it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

.anon. wrote: »

We should probably just accept that Boards has become the new online home for Ireland's loopy far-right. The mods and admins seem to have accepted it anyway.

Should we really ‘just accept’ your delusions?

Poor anon, he couldn't shame the mods into locking threads on topics that he didn't like.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Should we really ‘just accept’ your delusions?

I'm far from the only one who views the influx of racists as a stain on the site.

• Advertisement

I'm far from the only one who views the influx of racists as a stain on the site.

Your views would be far more credible if you ever established the basis of our premise, that boards has many racist posters. You've been asked in the past, like many like you, to back up your claims, but you always come up dry.

Advertisement