Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are 'anti racist' NGO's so racist to the Irish? *Threadbanned user list in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Invidious wrote: »
    It follows the classic pattern of making people believe in a strawman, and then profit by setting up NGOs to combat that strawman.

Just as there are more people employed by homeless charities than there are actual homeless people, I'd say there are far more people employed in NGOs dedicated to stopping the rise of the far right in Ireland than there are actual members of the far-right.

What NGOs dedicated to stopping the rise of the far right have employees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Your views would be far more credible if you ever established the basis of our premise, that boards has many racist posters. You've been asked in the past, like many like you, to back up your claims, but you always come up dry.

Look through their previous CA posts (the OP is a case in point) - immigration this, immigration that, and draw your own conclusions. Inevitably, your own conclusion will be that nothing could possibly be racist (unless it's anti-white), so it's a total waste of time discussing anything with the likes of you. Racism isn't just about throwing racial slurs about (something that most of you are reasonably careful not to do).

It funny because on one hand the 'far right' i.e. conservative people, are sad losers who never leave their mothers' basements.

But on the other hand, we're so organised and dangerous that we need to be banned from Boards at all costs!

Which one is it?!

Maybe Boards is doing a public service by keeping you occupied on a site that's gradually dying a natural death anyway. Still though, sad way for it to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

.anon. wrote: »
    Look through their previous CA posts (the OP is a case in point) - immigration this, immigration that, and draw your own conclusions.

Disagreeing with prevailing immigration policy does not make someone "far right."

A recent survey showed that 51 percent of Europeans want fewer or no more immigrants coming to their countries.

I very much doubt that 51 percent of Europeans can be classified as "far right," at least not outside the fevered imaginations of the far left.

How will it die when people like you spend 8 hours a day here ranting about the far right?

A couple of minutes pointing it out every few months.
    Disagreeing with prevailing immigration policy does not make someone "far right."

A recent survey showed that 51 percent of Europeans want fewer or no more immigrants coming to their countries.

I very much doubt that 51 percent of Europeans can be classified as "far right," at least not outside the fevered imaginations of the far left.

It's only the ones who go on and fucking on about it. There are plenty of decent posters here who share a lot of those views about immigration, and don't deserve to be lumped in with the trash because it's not their hobby horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Look through their previous CA posts (the OP is a case in point) - immigration this, immigration that, and draw your own conclusions. Inevitably, your own conclusion will be that nothing could possibly be racist (unless it's anti-white), so it's a total waste of time discussing anything with the likes of you. Racism isn't just about throwing racial slurs about (something that most of you are reasonably careful not to do).

People who are against mass immigration are not necessarily racist, race itself isn't what motivates people who are against mass immigration. Culture is a far bigger focus when it comes to the topic, as cultural clashes is the main problem that arises. You'll see race be brought up on those threads far more often by supporters of mass immigration, than the dissenters.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Your views would be far more credible if you ever established the basis of our premise, that boards has many racist posters. You've been asked in the past, like many like you, to back up your claims, but you always come up dry.
    It's not so much that Boards has many racist posters, relative to the overall number of posters. It is obviously the case that Boards is the preferred home for racist posters, far right posters, conspiracy theorist posters (who were given their own forum in some misguided attempt to ghettoize them, instead of just telling them to cop on), anti-vax posters, anti-immigrant posters etc etc.
    The desperation some people have on boards for there to be an actual far-right in Ireland is bewildering. People like Gemma of Doherty and that Justin Barret fella live inside these people's heads.
    It's just slightly ironic to see you waiting about people living inside other people's heads, just a few posts away from your very specific advice for me to go and do detailed research with the specific objective of letting someone live inside my head?
    Jesus Christ. No wonder you have the opinions you do when your way of thinking is so flawed. Maybe you should listen to her speak and find out her opinions, and maybe then you will understand why the 'usual suspects' have so many complaints about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

keano_afc wrote: »
    When Covid is over and we're counting the financial cost, the government simply have to look at the NGO sector for the purpose of costcutting.

There are some absolute clown shows out there costing the taxpayer millions, many of which are doing the same "job" as other NGOs also creaming money out of our pockets.

https://gript.ie/a-closer-look-at-ngos-who-is-spending-your-taxes-and-what-are-they-achieving/

Some of the figures here are eye-watering.

They had a chance to cull all these back during the recession and didn’t.

They won’t now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I think they are probably just confused by that post, isn't it inadvertently pointing towards white americans being more racist than the others

No, that’s not what it is pointing out, either deliberately or inadvertently. Unsurprisingly, your interpretation is that it flags racism.

Quelle Surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's not so much that Boards has many racist posters, relative to the overall number of posters. It is obviously the case that Boards is the preferred home for racist posters, far right posters, conspiracy theorist posters (who were given their own forum in some misguided attempt to ghettoize them, instead of just telling them to cop on), anti-vax posters, anti-immigrant posters etc etc.

How should we run society then Andrew? Should there be some high council that decides on what should and should not be said, and anything that exists outside of that perimeter should be removed/banned/censored? Because to me this is what it comes down to, you believe in "accepted thought", and hate the existence of anything that goes beyond that. You can scream far right, racist, loony, dangerous, all you like, but at the end of the day it comes down to simple point that you don't want dissenters in society.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

It's not so much that Boards has many racist posters, relative to the overall number of posters. It is obviously the case that Boards is the preferred home for racist posters, far right posters, conspiracy theorist posters (who were given their own forum in some misguided attempt to ghettoize them, instead of just telling them to cop on), anti-vax posters, anti-immigrant posters etc

Do anti-WFH posters belong in your basket of deplorables?

Specifically those who throw petulant strops that their employer won’t finance their every need, whilst the poor lamb is compelled to work from home during the pandemic. Those who hold repugnant, selfish views like that are just as bad as some of your imaginary bogeyman.

You too. :) Don't forget to leave that basement for some fresh air every now and then though.

Why make such a cheap shot about basement dwelling?

Hamachi wrote: »
    Why make such a cheap shot about basement dwelling?

Don't worry, it was only a reference to something the poster already said:
    It funny because on one hand the 'far right' i.e. conservative people, are sad losers who never leave their mothers' basements.

But on the other hand, we're so organised and dangerous that we need to be banned from Boards at all costs!

Which one is it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

It's just slightly ironic to see you waiting about people living inside other people's heads, just a few posts away from your very specific advice for me to go and do detailed research with the specific objective of letting someone live inside my head?

Eh what? Doing a minimum amount of research on someone is not letting someone 'live inside your head'. The fact that you can't tell the difference says it all. I've done bit of research on GOD and Justin Barret, however I don't obsess about them or believe that they are this huge threat to the country. GOD in particular seems a bit pathetic, you'd almost feel sorry for her the way she goes on. Yet these people are held up as the forbearers of the far right, the National Party with it's OH MY GOD 0.2% share of the national vote, Saoirse Na something as Gaeilge who FTA posted about earlier, are a group I've never even heard of. A tiny, tiny mish mash of virtual nobodies who are only ever heard about when the 'far right is so dangerous in Ireland' scaremongers bring them up again and again and again, because there is no-body else really, is there!

Don't worry, it was only a reference to something the poster already said:

I recall you lamenting your personal circumstances in another thread. Would it be disingenuous of me to throw that back in your face?

Argue your point without the personal jibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

biko wrote: »
    I haven't heard of this.
    Where and when did that happen?

Firebombing cars and hotels LOL.

One of this posters usual lies. Anything posted by them is very suspect. They don't do facts or reality at all.

I recall you lamenting your personal circumstances in another thread. Would it be disingenuous of me to throw that back in your face?

It would be absolutely fine, especially if I had joked about it in my previous post.

How should we run society then Andrew? Should there be some high council that decides on what should and should not be said, and anything that exists outside of that perimeter should be removed/banned/censored? Because to me this is what it comes down to, you believe in "accepted thought", and hate the existence of anything that goes beyond that. You can scream far right, racist, loony, dangerous, all you like, but at the end of the day it comes down to simple point that you don't want dissenters in society.

The question isn't about 'running society', it is about 'running Boards.ie'.

There's a real question for Boards owners as to whether they want to be the platform of choice for far right extremists.

Choosing not to platform certain extreme views isn't 'censorship'. It's just choosing not to give a platform to certain extreme views.
    Eh what? Doing a minimum amount of research on someone is not letting someone 'live inside your head'. The fact that you can't tell the difference says it all. I've done bit of research on GOD and Justin Barret, however I don't obsess about them or believe that they are this huge threat to the country. GOD in particular seems a bit pathetic, you'd almost feel sorry for her the way she goes on. Yet these people are held up as the forbearers of the far right, the National Party with it's OH MY GOD 0.2% share of the national vote, Saoirse Na something as Gaeilge who FTA posted about earlier, are a group I've never even heard of. A tiny, tiny mish mash of virtual nobodies who are only ever heard about when the 'far right is so dangerous in Ireland' scaremongers bring them up again and again and again, because there is no-body else really, is there!

Ah, I get it now. If they are far-right extremists, we should ignore them and not let them get inside our heads. If they are far-left extremists (in your opinion), we should go out of our way to learn more about them just so we can post offended posts on Boards.ie complaining about them.

Yes, I think I see the difference now.

One of this posters usual lies. Anything posted by them is very suspect. They don't do facts or reality at all.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/attacks-on-hotel-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-were-not-spontaneous-gardai-37808624.html

He's referring to this and this I believe,

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nobody-was-seen-entering-probe-into-suspicious-fire-at-hotel-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-37700702.html.

Neither hotels were 'firebombed' as claimed however. The Gardai in neither piece mention the far-right, so I'm not sure were he's gotten that from either. Maybe details emerged farther down the line I'm not sure.

Believe the remark was in relation to these incidents so really your own statements are far more suspect.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/td-whose-car-was-set-on-fire-says-government-must-not-give-in-to-bullies-1.4082162?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/donegal-hotel-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-set-on-fire-1.3709782?mode=amp

• Advertisement

It would be absolutely fine, especially if I had joked about it in my previous post.

Those in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones.

I wouldn't say drawing conclusions you jump to them. If you notice in the OP I never even mentioned immigration so you typing immigration this and that is purely a figment of your immigination. Total fantasy.

Again you say anti white but I am speaking of anti Irish immigration.

Did you stick to any facts at all or is every response fantasy land "racist whitey" nonsense?

From the man who got 66& of his NGO list wrong and 100% of his Tommy Tiernan claims wrong. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hmm none of the lefty's on here have commented on that survey, hugely surprising!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/attacks-on-hotel-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-were-not-spontaneous-gardai-37808624.html

He's referring to this and this I believe,

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nobody-was-seen-entering-probe-into-suspicious-fire-at-hotel-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-37700702.html.

Neither hotels were 'firebombed' as claimed however. The Gardai in neither piece mention the far-right, so I'm not sure were he's gotten that from either. Maybe details emerged farther down the line I'm not sure.

Wasn't it well known on the street these attacks were carried out by left Anarchist Antifa extremists? Was well spoken of on reddit and facebook.

Ah, I get it now. If they are far-right extremists, we should ignore them and not let them get inside our heads. If they are far-left extremists (in your opinion), we should go out of our way to learn more about them just so we can post offended posts on Boards.ie complaining about them.

Yes, I think I see the difference now.

No, you don't get it. I have even stated how I myself have done my own bit of research on them. I don't ever recall posting about Ebun Joseph myself either tbh. I have never suggested they be ignored either. Personally, I think my point is out of your reach. You are, in a sense, the opposite side of the same coin as those racist posters that you seem to think infest boards.

Those in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones.

I'm neither in a glasshouse nor throwing stones. Like I said, it was a call-back to something the poster had just said. You're reading far too much into it.

It's interesting how the 'far right' who apparently control Boards, never call for censorship.

The people who run boards.is are quite possibly the most left leaning people to have ever lived. Ever.Not really hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All too real alas.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30961791.html

• Advertisement

Advertisement