Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Pick up to buy

• 12-02-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

What's the best all round pick up on the market? For driving and towing. Budget max 10k.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The taliban love Hilux.

Therefore they must reliable

I know an ESB mechanic. He hates the Ford Rangers. Many issues apparently

My personal choice would be the Hilux also. We have the landcruiser which are pretty bulletproof

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

farmer2018 wrote: »
    What's the best all round pick up on the market? For driving and towing. Budget max 10k.

Jeeps have experienced another price hike in the last few month's imo and a 10k budget will see you looking at older models which is always a minefield regardless of make. Do you need a crew cab or are 2 seat's sufficient? Lot's of lad's locally have changed from Land Cruisers to Hilux's or Rangers because they need the extra seats. You'll sometimes see what looks like value in single cab Hilux's, L200s ect compared to similar crew cab version's.

I've a 08 Ford Ranger, it's the mark 3 version with a 2.5 engine. Touch wood I'm very happy with it so far and it does a good mix of driving and towing. I've heard a fair amount of complaints about the newer versions especially the 2.2 models but they'd probably be at the very top of your budget anyway.

As for the Toyota Hilux there very popular but it's hard to get clean low milage examples that aren't mega money. Any older jeep with lot's of work done is a risk and Toyota's are by no means exempt from this rule.

I see plenty of Mitsubishi L200s or Isuzu Dmaxs advertised that seem reasonable value but I wouldn't know much about them. The quickest lads to run them down usually drive Land Cruisers but I know several lads that have owned multiple L200s or Dmaxs so there must be something to them. The Dmax owners in particular wouldn't have much mechanical sympathy.

The most important thing imo is to give any potential jeep a good looking over (if your not up to the job then pay someone who is as it's money well spent). Look for something well minded and with lower milage even if it's a "lessor" brand, high milage and previous abuse is detrimental to any vehicle regardless of the decal on the bonnet. Once your happy with your purchase then keep it serviced, put some decent tyres on it and keep on top of regular maintenance and you should hopefully get good service from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

My preference would be a Hilux especially for that budget. I've an '08, great machine. Easily serviced, repairs are straight forward when required. Look out for rust on the underside of the tub, especially over the exhaust silencer. Go for 3.0 L model.

Father has an '08 Ranger (Thunder model). The cab is a bit smaller than the hilux especially the rear set area. Can be a bit tight if you're carrying children and their car seats. Nothing wrong with it though to be fair. Very lively engine for a 2.5 L. Again its easy and inexpensive to repair. Timing belt broke on his one. The parts were only €400 and little damage was done to the bottom end due to the engine design on them. Local mechanic repaired it. It's going better than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rabbitman

Had a 06 hilux 3.0 lt . Great jeep , had it 10 yrs only regular service and a leaf in rear Spring . Have a 12 Navara now , completely different jeep , a lot softer .

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Rabbitman wrote: »
    Had a 06 hilux 3.0 lt . Great jeep , had it 10 yrs only regular service and a leaf in rear Spring . Have a 12 Navara now , completely different jeep , a lot softer .

What kind of miles were you getting to the tank of normal driving out of curiosity?

• Advertisement

Had the auto gearbox , was getting 27 . Friend of mine had manual was getting 30ish . If you keep oil and filter changed out every 9k miles and keep an eye on the air filter it would serve you well ��

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

Agree with Rabbitman on both points.
    Same here with a Hilux manual gearbox 30mpg consistently. Service regularly. Oil and oil, fuel and air filters. Use a good brand or if you can get Toyota parts. At the price of Jeep’s nowadays it pays to look after what u have.

Definitely agree , always used genuine Toyota parts . Not much in the difference price wise .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Value for money very hard to beat L200.
    On our 5th one between us all here.
    Can't say anything bad about them.

Advertisement