Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in Bigfoot ?

• 12-02-2021 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy the “do you believe in UFOs” thread so I thought I’d start a bigfoot one

There’s a huge amount of material out there on the web regarding Bigfoot/Sasquatch existing as a real live creature in the North American woods

On the credit side of the Column:

Lots of accounts going back hundreds of years documenting encounters with Bigfoot like creatures.

If you look at BFRO.net there are regular reports coming through of encounters each month.

Lots of Native American/First Nations stories, myths and legends about Bigfoot.

Including rock drawings and totem pole carvings etc of a distinctly ape like creature.

Lot of footage on YouTube often times broken down and analysed by various channels. Thinker thunker is a good one to start with but there’s lots.

Some of it is clearly faked but there is a certain amount that seems to me to be either real or very convincing.

For example the Patterson/Gimlin footage taken in 1967 which is probably the most convincing footage. It shows what appears to be a huge female Bigfoot walking in a forest clearing in bluff creek Northern California.

It still hasn’t been debunked and various academic experts accept it is genuine. Not only American experts but Others around world examined it also and said it’s genuinely a real creature.

Also there are audio recordings purporting to be of Bigfoot, some are very strange/intriguing sounds but again could be faked

Also over many years people have taken footprint casts which reputable anthropologists have declared belong to an unknown ape like creature. Well aware there are fakes in this as well.

On the other hand I have to ask why has there not been more proof

such as bodies/skeletons recovered? and why not more “clear” footage.

It seems interest in Bigfoot is quite popular in America with various “research groups” and organisations going into remote locations looking to prove its existence.

People claim to have experienced rock throwing, territorial shows of aggression(bluff charging/shaking trees), whooping/howling/whistling, night time visits to camp sites and rare visual sightings.

No definite proof as yet ....

Also There’s lots of trail cams around North America and very little footage of this animal should it exist.

Some ppl have speculated the bigfoot sense and avoid the trail cams. Personally I find that hard to believe.

This is supposedly a 8/9 foot huge hairy bipedal ape like creature walking around North America.

Some of the experts say “only a matter of time” until one is captured or shot.

Well,.... they’ve been looking for at least 50 years at this stage and no joy yet...

TLDR There should be more evidence at this stage.

Personally I am sceptical and leaning towards calling it a hoax until either a live or dead one is captured.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I saw the movie.. So yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Patterson/Gimlin footage always looked like a guy in a bigfoot suit to me, never found it convincing in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Patterson/Gimlin footage always looked like a guy in a bigfoot suit to me, never found it convincing in the slightest.

I was sceptical too but I’d suggest Have a look at one of the videos analysing it online

The animal shows muscular movement etc in its legs, back, arms that is impossible to fake.

Also, Hollywood costume designers still cannot make a suit anything like as realistic and certainly couldn’t in the 60s when it was filmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

There is a civil war amongst the bigfoot crowd. The BFRO have a reputation for dismissing or ridiculing any reports that don't fit their beliefs to what bigfoot is. They are adamant that bigfoot is a undiscovered Ape, a flesh and blood creature that can be tracked, hunted and killed.
    Many witnesses however believe that there is something more paranormal or unexplainable about Bigfoot, with footprint trails disappearing into thin air, a ghost like transparency to sightings, and numerous UFO reports in area where bigfoot has been recently sighted.

I would recommend the no-nonsense youtube videos by Steve Isdahl on his channel howtohunt.com. He is a Canadian hard core big game hunter and guide, who spends much of the year in deep wilderness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Before the thread gets loads of posts , can i ask is the plural of Bigfoot, Bigfoots or Bigfeet ?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭rapul

Before the thread gets loads of posts , can i ask is the plural of Bigfoot, Bigfoots or Bigfeet ?

Thanks.

Has there ever been a sighting of more than one at the same time?!

Bigfoot, like Sheep surely!

rapul wrote: »

Yes. Lots of times.

Often seen in a family unit - male female and young.

Thinkerthunker has such a clip -

https://youtu.be/vEyQlTc-Rro

Just as an aside, the amount of time and effort that ppl would have to put in to fake stuff like this, you’d wonder why ? It hardly gets any attention from “serious media” so why bother faking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I work with a lad that has size 14 feet, so yes, I believe in bigfoot (though both of his are big, not just one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Thanks.

It's like sheep, or fish, one Bigfoot, two Bigfoot...

(should Bigfoot be capitalised?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Deub

Hoax

How could such big creatures living in populated areas be so quiet with no real physical evidences for so many centuries?

By now, with all the technologies, it is impossible.
    Unless there are only a handful and are not affected by inbreeding which in science has a very close to 0 chance

• Advertisement

No!

Deub wrote: »
    Hoax

How could such big creatures living in populated areas be so quiet with no real physical evidences for so many centuries?

Unless there are only a handful and are not affected by inbreeding which in science has a very close to 0 chance

I believe they live in Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Patterson/gimlin footage is to me the most interesting footage of the so called Bigfoot. Not surprisingly once it became known there seemed to be two camps and the predictable claims of people making the suit and storing it. They can’t seem to prove those claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

rapul wrote: »

Bigfoot, like Sheep surely!

One shoop, two sheep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Aliens - yes. Probably out there somewhere.

Bigfoot - no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Believe in what sense ?

I reckon there was such a creature but one has not lived for over a few thousand years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Saw a documentary on discovery a while back on Bigfoot.
    Why has a dead big foot never been found they asked a bigfoot expert.
    Because they shape shift into a dead rabbit he said.
    That was enough for me.
    Waffleology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Living in Canada for 13 years and yet to see him/her/they???
    Also haven't seen a moose yet either, so starting to wonder about them too.

Believe in what sense ?

I reckon there was such a creature but one has not lived for over a few thousand years

Well yes there was - it is called gigantopithecus.

Some of the anthropology academics like dr Jeff meldrum hypothesise that was an ancestor of “Bigfoot”

Saw a documentary on discovery a while back on Bigfoot.
    Why has a dead big foot never been found they asked a bigfoot expert.
    Because they shape shift into a dead rabbit he said.
    That was enough for me.
    Waffleology

All that sh1te is what turns me off the whole subject

If it exists it’s a real flesh and blood creature (ape of some sort) and Fcuk the paranormal rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It rarely happens but the only reason why Bigfoot is sometimes spotted is when their cloaking device sensors have malfunctioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

The Patterson/gimlin footage is of some lad obsessed with King Kong or planet of the apes dressed in a gorilla suit and out for a stroll. We all know there are plenty of nuts in America.

billyhead wrote: »
    The Patterson/gimlin footage is of some lad obsessed with King Kong or planet of the apes dressed in a gorilla suit and out for a stroll. We all know there are plenty of nuts in America.

Wish it could be dismissed as easily as that, would make more sense than the alternative that the thing actually exists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Enjoy the “do you believe in UFOs” thread so I thought I’d start a bigfoot one

There’s a huge amount of material out there on the web regarding Bigfoot/Sasquatch existing as a real live creature in the North American woods

On the credit side of the Column:

Lots of accounts going back hundreds of years documenting encounters with Bigfoot like creatures.

If you look at BFRO.net there are regular reports coming through of encounters each month.

Lots of Native American/First Nations stories, myths and legends about Bigfoot.

Including rock drawings and totem pole carvings etc of a distinctly ape like creature.

Lot of footage on YouTube often times broken down and analysed by various channels. Thinker thunker is a good one to start with but there’s lots.

Some of it is clearly faked but there is a certain amount that seems to me to be either real or very convincing.

For example the Patterson/Gimlin footage taken in 1967 which is probably the most convincing footage. It shows what appears to be a huge female Bigfoot walking in a forest clearing in bluff creek Northern California.

It still hasn’t been debunked and various academic experts accept it is genuine. Not only American experts but Others around world examined it also and said it’s genuinely a real creature.

Also there are audio recordings purporting to be of Bigfoot, some are very strange/intriguing sounds but again could be faked

On the other hand I have to ask why has there not been more proof

such as bodies/skeletons recovered? and why not more “clear” footage.

There’s lots of trail cams around North America and very little footage of this animal should it exist.

Some ppl have speculated the bigfoot sense and avoid the trail cams. I find that hard to believe.

This is supposedly a 8/9 foot huge hairy bipedal ape like creature walking around North America.

Some of the experts say “only a matter of time” until one is captured or shot. Well, they’ve been looking for at least 50 years at this stage and no joy yet...

There should be more evidence at this stage. Personally I am on the fence but leaning towards calling it a hoax until either a live or dead one is captured.

hollywood might have failed to make a more convincing costume

but cadburys did it years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I want to Believe.

Yes, one that meets Michéal Martin's backside if restrictions aren't eased by April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Deub wrote: »
    Hoax

Big foot female carries her child for 50 years before giving birth. Thats why there's so few. Everyone knows that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The animal shows muscular movement etc in its legs, back, arms that is impossible to fake.

Also, Hollywood costume designers still cannot make a suit anything like as realistic and certainly couldn’t in the 60s when it was filmed.

Anything can be faked.

As soon as you start thinking that a thing can't be faked, you're letting your critical guard down, and suddenly you're biased to accept evidence without question.

I would stress, of course, that this not to say that just because something can be faked, that it is.

But dismissing a fake as "impossible" is to assume the truth of your conclusion in your argument's premise (also known as begging the question).

Big foot female carries her child for 50 years before giving birth. Thats why there's so few. Everyone knows that

Chewbacca is a Bigfoot, , everyone knows Star Wars is real.
    Star Trek is a load of bollix though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If only everyone was as dedicated to the social distancing as was poor old Bigfoot was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It's real alright.
    sierra-nevada-bigfoot.jpg?resize=272%2C400&ssl=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

A relation of mine has spent a lot of his life searching for Bigfoot and the Yeti... true. His name is Peter Byrne and he is my mothers cousin.

http://www.petercbyrne.com/home.html

He is the most fascinating character you could meet and he would visit us in Dublin when he was over this way. He mostly lived between Orogen and Nepal. He's a real life Indiana Jones!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/05/fbi-tested-bigfoot-hair-in-1970s-government-documents-show.html

We heard this story directly from him on his last visit about 15 years ago..
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-16264752

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

There's a conspiracy theories thread about this.....I think that tells you all you need to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Jury’s still out on Bigfoot for me. I’d be skeptical but would need to read up on the subject before “dismissing it” out of hand.

The whole yeti/abominable snowman thing has been ruled out for me, personally, after reading and watching a show that went through all the results of tests done to the various yeti “artefacts” discovered along the Himalayas. Turned out they were from various types of bear.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

The whole yeti/abominable snowman thing has been ruled out for me, personally, after reading and watching a show that went through all the results of tests done to the various yeti “artefacts” discovered along the Himalayas. Turned out they were from various types of bear.

And a "yeti finger" turned out to be human when tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Reminds me of UFOology, you have experts on the topic but how can you be an expert when there is nothing physical to investigate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Funny how you never get clear pics, clear footage or a live (or dead) specimen to study.

Like Nessie and all that shyte I call bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭blackvalley

With all the trigger happy folks in the good old US of A it would take a brave or foolish person to don a large hairy suit and go skulking around in the wilderness :confused:

With all the trigger happy folks in the good old US of A it would take a brave or foolish person to don a large hairy suit and go skulking around in the wilderness :confused:

This is partly why I don’t get why there isn’t a dead body at this stage

Possibly the best pic of a Bigfool

• Advertisement

Yes. Lots of times.

Often seen in a family unit - male female and young.

Thinkerthunker has such a clip -

https://youtu.be/vEyQlTc-Rro

Just as an aside, the amount of time and effort that ppl would have to put in to fake stuff like this, you’d wonder why ? It hardly gets any attention from “serious media” so why bother faking

Watched a few minutes. And yes, if I genuinely saw a Bigfoot or The Easter Bunny I'd point the camera at my face to capture my Awe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's more believable than Nessy but less believable than UFOs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Possibly the best pic of a Bigfool

How does someone that crazy have such great teeth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

People don't believe in Bigfoot, Yeti exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Cavan men are closely related to Bigfoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

probably were a few around a long time ago, highly doubt it now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bangkok wrote: »
    probably were a few around a long time ago, highly doubt it now
    gigantopithecus

gigantopithecus

Except they died about about 300,00 years ago and were in Asia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Were they not talking recently about raising a GoFundMe to take a bigfoot into space to prove that the earth was not flat?

• Advertisement
Advertisement