Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher unions and exams - what’s the problem?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

meeeeh wrote: »
    Nobody is saying there are no issues but at some stage you have to decide what way you are doing things and then resolve niggles. Two groups in the discussion seem to be happy two don't seem to be happy but however unhappy you feel about this you will be affected only one year your students will have to deal with consequences for years.

You see this is the problem. Teachers are worried about the longer term affects both in this cohort and future cohorts. In spite of popular opinion we do actually want what is best for our students.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You're completely wrong. Students now have a no lose situation. They all get predicted grades anyway AND have the opportunity to sit the exam. The exam for the first time in history, is low stakes as they have a safety net of predicted grades. Or they can chose not to sit it at all and just take their predicted grades. The best grade of the two stands. It means all students can move on to third level or whatever their plan is in September instead of losing a year like last year's cohort.

That is so wrong.

Last year they had a known outcome of predicted grades, this year they don't. They are worrying about what mark their teacher will give them in which subject, how will the standardisation of that grade work, and the stress is increased. Trust me, I have been speaking in the last 24 hours to quite a number of these students.

Two things need to change

(1) Students need to be given their predicted grade before the exams
    (2) This outrageous idea of penalising and criminalising an under-pressure over-stressed 17-year old who asks his teacher what grade are you giving me needs to be withdrawn. It is a complete disgrace.

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is so wrong.

Last year they had a known outcome of predicted grades, this year they don't. They are worrying about what mark their teacher will give them in which subject, how will the standardisation of that grade work, and the stress is increased. Trust me, I have been speaking in the last 24 hours to quite a number of these students.

Two things need to change

(1) Students need to be given their predicted grade before the exams
    (2) This outrageous idea of penalising and criminalising an under-pressure over-stressed 17-year old who asks his teacher what grade are you giving me needs to be withdrawn. It is a complete disgrace.

How do you see them getting the predicted grades beforethe exams? As in at what point will it happen? Time scale wise? How do you see them being administered without compromising the time given to completing the course so those that want to sit the exam have a fair chance? The result of the predicted grade won't change regardless of when they get it. If they aren't happy in August they can resit just like any other year. I know it isn't a perfect solution but I can't see a fairer way of doing it, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How many teachers who post on here would have been happy to have the exams in August?

Give them all 4 weeks "off" now and extend the teaching 4 weeks on the other side and just schedule the exams in August. Vaccinate the LC students at the start of July.

I reckon that was attempted but the teachers unions shot it down.

How many teachers who post on here would have been happy to have the exams in August?

Give them all 4 weeks "off" now and extend the teaching 4 weeks on the other side and just schedule the exams in August. Vaccinate the LC students at the start of July.

It wasn't attempted I would imagine due to issues with invigilating and correcting. They wouldn't want to start at a place where the new school year is being affected before we even get there. As well as the negative connotations for what happened with that last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Run into problems with college then.

No idea if it was even consideration. Maybe the newly all powerful ISSU scuppered it if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Run into problems with college then.

No idea if it was even consideration. Maybe the newly all powerful ISSU scuppered it if it was.

Colleges started back late this year anyway.

Exams first week of August. It would be possible. Even if the freshers went back a week or two later than the rest of the college. But that would be the colleges problem to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Colleges started back late this year anyway.

Exams first week of August. It would be possible. Even if the freshers went back a week or two later than the rest of the college. But that would be the colleges problem to deal with.

Colleges will need an uninterrupted year next year. Practical classes have been put back. In Scotland, dental students will have to do an extra year, we are not far off having to do that.

That means vaccination of third-level will have to be a priority in August/September, with a start in October and a full year. Could certainly accommodate a late July set of exams.

Advertisement