Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turn off hot water

• 12-02-2021 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a slight leak going into the shower mixer on the hot side (not electric shower) and wish to turn off the hot and cold water to investigate the problem. Am I right in saying that I turn off the hot water using the red gate value that enters the cylinder at the bottom?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Yep should be that one. Looking at your set-up you should be fine but sometimes those gate valves get a build up in them and can't close fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭anheneti

BarraOG wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a slight leak going into the shower mixer on the hot side (not electric shower) and wish to turn off the hot and cold water to investigate the problem. Am I right in saying that I turn off the hot water using the red gate value that enters the cylinder at the bottom as shown in the first picture?

Thanks for your help!
    No that’s the balancing valve on the cylinder, it should be on the opposite side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It looks to me like it's the top lever valve in the second picture, it looks like it's on the hot water output. Try closing it and see does the hot water stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The photos don't show the feed into the bottom of the cylinder that fills the cylinder. This pipe should have a valve on it & this is how you turn the hot water off. The pipe that is coming out of the top of the cylinder branches off before the leaver valve. Shutting this valve off won't shut off all of the hot water. Most likely the pipe that branches off this is for the shower because this is how you should take the hot feed for a pumped shower to avoid sucking in air. Usually the pipe filling the cylinder is going into the rear of the cylinder. Can you post a photo of the other side of the cylinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The photos don't show the feed into the bottom of the cylinder that fills the cylinder. This pipe should have a valve on it & this is how you turn the hot water off. The pipe that is coming out of the top of the cylinder branches off before the leaver valve. Shutting this valve off won't shut off all of the hot water. Most likely the pipe that branches off this is for the shower because this is how you should take the hot feed for a pumped shower to avoid sucking in air. Usually the pipe filling the cylinder is going into the rear of the cylinder. Can you post a photo of the other side of the cylinder

Is the first image not the feed coming in on bottom left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

listermint wrote:
    Is the first image not the feed coming in on bottom left.

I can't see the first photo on my phone but I think I remember the one on bottom left had a gate valve & this would be the heating coil with another one above it for top of the coil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I can't see the first photo on my phone but I think I remember the one on bottom left had a gate valve & this would be the heating coil with another one above it for top of the coil

True actually. Probably the other side or rear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If that pipe before the lever valve is the feed to the shower I wonder is there a valve or gate valve further along it to isolate the shower? It looks to be a very neat installation I'd say there's a valve on it.

Advertisement