Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the oldest in service piece of machinery on your farm?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

amacca wrote: »
    Seeing lots of mentions of 135......must be up there as one of the greatest pieces of agricultural machinery ever ..... of course I am biased.

Possibly not the greatest, from what I remember (and open to correction) there were other brands of that era - David Brown/Ford - that possibly offered more hp, better hydraulics and had better options than the "MF Red giants", was it not a case of great marketing as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Suckler wrote: »
    Possibly not the greatest, from what I remember (and open to correction) there were other brands of that era - David Brown/Ford - that possibly offered more hp, better hydraulics and had better options than the "MF Red giants", was it not a case of great marketing as well?

would the dexta be the same age as the 135?. First tractor we ever had here was a super dexta. Absolute rocket on the road (For that size of a tractor)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Curious as to what is the oldest in use machine on your farm. More interested in machines you may uses day to day or seasonally rather than just rotting in a hedge.

We use still a 135 from the 1960 on the odd occasion

My Auld Fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Suckler wrote: »

Oh it could very well be.....im no expert in tractors of that era or in general I only know I'm happy with the one I've got

And I do know ours has done some amount of work ...amd with the exception of a regular service hasn't got much in the way of TCL

And although it looks a bit shook cosmetically it's still ticking away and that's a good enough endorsement for me

Especially when I consider some of the more modern stuff

I have a tractor here that's costing an average of about 2k a year to keep going over the past 5 yrs (excluding fuel insurance etc) with various niggles and problems (one admittedly self inflicted) ...the 135 is a saint in comparison afaic:D

amacca wrote: »
    Oh it could very well be.....im no expert in tractors of that era or in general I only know I'm happy with the one I've got

And I do know ours has done some amount of work ...amd with the exception of a regular service hasn't got much in the way of TCL

We're in the same boat here, 1969 MF 135 that started its life with us and is still going. It was the only tractor from then until very late 90's. Bar a few years in the shed it hasn't stopped. Although it has an easy enough life now, transport box is on it 99% of the time.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    would the dexta be the same age as the 135?. First tractor we ever had here was a super dexta. Absolute rocket on the road (For that size of a tractor)

Dexta / Major etc. were before the 100 series...I think
    100 series would be competing against Ford 3000 and the like

Advertisement