Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed second period after premature birth?

• 12-02-2021 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi

My partner was 32 weeks pregnant when our baby arrived suddenly and was born unexpectedly at home. Unfortunately it was severely brain damaged and passed away 8 days after being in NICU in Rotunda.

She had her first period about 29 days after birth at the end of December. However, she,has not had another since so it is over 10 days late now and we are not pregnant. We have an appointment with Beacon Fertility early next week where they will do a scan. My question in the meantime is, has anyone experienced very late period after their period already returned after birth?

I understand it's normal for periods to take a while to return but once they do shouldn't they become more regular?. She is 36 and previously her periods would be irregular but have never been this late. We are anxious to try again despite the grief and trauma of above recent events.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m so sorry you both had such a traumatic experience and lost your baby. It sounds like a hugely stressful time for you both and in that context it wouldn’t be unusual for the cycle to go a bit haywire. Keep an eye on it and talk to go if they are still irregular after a month or two.

Take care and hugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Oh my goodness, what a traumatic experience for you both. I am so sorry. It can take a few months for things to settle down after birth. After my first I think I bled for about three weeks, it tapered off then came back full on for a week or two which is normal. I didn't have a period until he was about three months old. After my second, I think I just bled solidly for 2.5 weeks and had a period when she was about two months old. Birth can be really traumatic on the body, let alone the emotional aspect of what your partner is going through. If there is anything sinister going on, the Beacon will be able to help but it is normal for the body to be a bit all over the place for a few months at least. Mind yourselves x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I just want to say I’m so sorry for your loss. What a devastating experience for you both to go through.

Periods can be all over the place in times of stress so it most likely is that along with the fact that it’s after pregnancy. My period returned at 10 months post partum (I was breastfeeding) and took a few months to become regular again. My period was always regular before this and now is regular again.

Best of luck with the clinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi

My partner was 32 weeks pregnant when our baby arrived suddenly and was born unexpectedly at home. Unfortunately it was severely brain damaged and passed away 8 days after being in NICU in Rotunda.

She had her first period about 29 days after birth at the end of December. However, she,has not had another since so it is over 10 days late now and we are not pregnant. We have an appointment with Beacon Fertility early next week where they will do a scan. My question in the meantime is, has anyone experienced very late period after their period already returned after birth?

I understand it's normal for periods to take a while to return but once they do shouldn't they become more regular?. She is 36 and previously her periods would be irregular but have never been this late. We are anxious to try again despite the grief and trauma of above recent events.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My wife had a period a month after our daughter was born and then none for nine months. It varies all over the place for each woman.

I suspect the fertility clinic will tell you both to give yourselves a much needed break and wait until her periods stabilise for a few months.

Time is a great healer, both for grief and the body.

Advertisement