Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Obviously with the AZ being for under 70 only it slows down their rollout. On the flip side it means later groups should be done faster as there is more AZ to spare.

Are we now doing group 4 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

Apogee wrote: »
    HSE also quote a number of 1.1 million doses by end of Q1, with approx 1 million doses arriving per month thereafter. If you take those broad numbers, the supply bottleneck should soon disappear, and the focus then shifts to getting the vaccines into as many arms as quickly as possible. Usual caveats apply.

543582.jpg

Donnelly hoping to reach 250,000 vaccinations per week. So 1 million+ doses delivered per month and 1 million administered.
    Ireland is building capacity to vaccinate up to 250,000 people a week, Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly has said. Mass vaccinations will take place at 37 centres, at least one in every county, he said, with 29 of these already in place and the others under construction.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-donnelly-hoping-to-reach-250-000-vaccinations-a-week-as-programme-ramps-up-1.4485177

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Obviously with the AZ being for under 70 only it slows down their rollout. On the flip side it means later groups should be done faster as there is more AZ to spare.

Are we now doing group 4 too?
    Yes healthcare workers received AZ all last week. I'm aware of some pharmacists who are receiving it next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Yes healthcare workers received AZ all last week. I'm aware of some pharmacists who are receiving it next week too.

And they are group 4 right? That’s good, heard there weren’t many in that group so maybe 65-69 mightn’t be too long.

• Advertisement

And they are group 4 right? That’s good, heard there weren’t many in that group so maybe 65-69 mightn’t be too long.
    yeah they could also be part of group 6 but im not sure on exacts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Article in the Irish Times (I think, maybe the Indo) earlier mentioned there was about 20,000 in group 4.

My nan (87) just got the call for vaccination on Wednesday after previously being told 2 weeks. Seems as if they could be speeding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

What time was this? I turned on RTÉ to hear someone saying we cannot put our eggs in the vaccination basket and needed to follow an elimination strategy. At that point I switched off and RTÉ is on the blacklist for another month,

Luke O'Neill was on the Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk shortly after 9am there'll be a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I believe Luke O’Neil was a ray of sunshine on Newstalk. From saying the one shot J&j vaccine maybe approved in days. The country will have loads of vaccines by May and comments like ‘we’re at the end of this now’ etc
    Apologies in advance, as this question has probably been already answered, but what kind of deal do the EU have in place for J&J?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Apologies in advance, as this question has probably been already answered, but what kind of deal do the EU have in place for J&J?

Looks like 200 million with the option of 200 million more. Delivery from April I believe (may have changed since the article I'm getting that from was late January).

The single dose will be such a game changer for the speed of the roll out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Looks like 200 million with the option of 200 million more. Delivery from April I believe (may have changed since the article I'm getting that from was late January).

Cheers. On that basis, do you have any idea what can Ireland expect to receive?

Agree, the single shot could seriously accelerate our road out of this!

Cheers. On that basis, do you have any idea what can Ireland expect to receive?

Agree, the single shot could seriously accelerate our road out of this!

Ireland has 1.66% of the EU population....so around 3.3 million doses (not sure how long it would take to get delivery of it all though). Enough to vaccinate 67-odd percent of our entire population on its own.

I'm open to correction on all this, maths is not my strong point!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ireland has 1.66% of the EU population....so around 3.3 million doses (not sure how long it would take to get delivery of it all though). Enough to vaccinate 67-odd percent of our entire population on its own.

I'm open to correction on all this, maths is not my strong point!!

I suspect that while a single dose j&j may be approved we may later change to two doses when results of their 2 dose trial comes in.

The single dose trial gave good results but there was scope for improvement and a second dose could give that

I suspect that while a single dose j&j may be approved we may later change to two doses when results of their 2 dose trial comes in.

The single dose trial gave good results but there was scope for improvement and a second dose could give that

Fair point. I wonder would they keep it single dose for under 50's/60's/70's (whichever, don't want to be ageist) and introduce the second dose for those more susceptible to severe illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

will it possible to get on a list to say you live nearby and can take an appointment at short notice if there is no shows or extra vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

Russman wrote: »
    Article in the Irish Times (I think, maybe the Indo) earlier mentioned there was about 20,000 in group 4.

More like 200,000 I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

irishgeo wrote: »
    will it possible to get on a list to say you live nearby and can take an appointment at short notice if there is no shows or extra vaccine?

Would make sense so probably not. Will go to family members I'd imagine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fair point. I wonder would they keep it single dose for under 50's/60's/70's (whichever, don't want to be ageist) and introduce the second dose for those more susceptible to severe illness?

I suspect it depends on how total supplies work and the fear of variants.

I believe most vaccines work to some degree against all variants to date but may offer reduced efficacy against certain (South African for example) variants.

As the efficacy is in general so good reduced efficacy is perfectly fine.

I'm not certain the efficacy of single shot J&J is good enough that reduced efficacy would be sufficient so if there's fear of SA variant they would be more likely to do a second dose.

Also it depends on how our total vaccine supplies look and how much of a vaccinate everyone rush we are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

There’s an online system due to go live soon to allow you to register, but I think they should expand it to ensure anyone who wants to register their interest in being vaccinated can do.

The sooner that is live the better for GPs

If you want to contact your GP on behalf of your 85+ yr old self or a relative, I would suggest doing it by email or dropping them a card in the post. The clinics will be swamped with calls and are already having issues answering calls.

It’s often taken me 30-40 mins on hold to even speak to anyone at all at busy urban practices, so please don’t swamp them with more calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

blackcard wrote: »
    More like 200,000 I would think

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-what-could-go-right-and-what-could-go-wrong-1.4485239

No, it says 20k in group 4 (HCWs not in direct patient contact), and 200k in group 5 (65-69 year olds).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The GPs will have a list of the next group along and can call them in if they have doses over and no one in relevant group available . So I imagine something like that will be put in place as we move along

That may actually be rolled forward to March from what I’ve been hearing rumoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

GPS - No, they'll go from 85+ to 80-84 to 75-79 etc.....

When MVCs are running - possibly, there's definitely stories of it happening in the UK anyway.

You’ll basically book online here, much like you do for say the NCT. There’s a full online system ready to roll fairly soon. They had IBM & Salesforce working on a very comprehensive IT system for this over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

hynesie08 wrote: »
    GPS - No, they'll go from 85+ to 80-84 to 75-79 etc.....

When MVCs are running - possibly, there's definitely stories of it happening in the UK anyway.

I'm not on about now. I understand the next group along will be contacted. I'm about when the MVC are up and running.

I'm not on about now. I understand the next group along will be contacted. I'm about when the MVC are up and running.

Then maybe, as I said I've heard second hand reports of people in the UK getting calls after 5pm asking if they can get down within an hour. And I believe there was talk of a random dialling system for excess doses. But I don't think there'll be a set reserve list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Then maybe, as I said I've heard second hand reports of people in the UK getting calls after 5pm asking if they can get down within an hour. And I believe there was talk of a random dialling system for excess doses. But I don't think there'll be a set reserve list.

I know some one in Wales who was called late of Friday and dosed on Saturday morning. He was on no list and does not know why he was chosen
    other than is GP organising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭mobby

95 year old Mother in law got a Phone call this morning from her GP to inform her that her vaccine date is 5th March, almost 3 weeks away.

So much for over 85's been done this week.

• Advertisement

mobby wrote: »
    95 year old Mother in law got a Phone call this morning from her GP to inform her that her vaccine date is 5th March, almost 3 weeks away.

So much for over 85's been done this week.

They never said all over 85s, don't be angry because you got the wrong info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement