Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Same for me. 20 minutes to either Greystones or Arklow. Yet there isn’t one in Drogheda (as far as I know)?

You are right.
    I live in Drogheda (Meath side) and our options would be Navan or Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

hmmm wrote: »
    Agreed with that, however I don't think any of the vaccines are being sold with a promise of reducing transmission - the primary endpoints in all the studies was whether they prevented disease. The results from Israel look good from Pfizer, but I personally won't be getting any vaccine with an expectation that it will prevent me from transmitting the virus.

The South African study was so under-powered I'm having difficulty lending it any credibility.

Time didn't initially allow trials to asses the effect of vaccines on transmissiblity but the link between reduced viral load due to the protective effect of immunisation, and reduced transmission is clear in other viruses and this as you alluded to is already being seen in Israel.

Fair enough the South African study was small (2000 people cohort) but you don't lend it any credibility at all? Any studies that I have seen at this stage are pointing to AZ vaccine having much lower efficacy against variants than the mRNA vaccines. I didn't think this was a controversial point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

JTMan wrote: »
    Great news. Welcome news including:
    - EU would secure 150 million additional doses from Moderna, on top of 160 million that have already been booked.
    - Doses under the new deal could be delivered by June.
    - Moderna also holding discussions with regulatory authorities in different countries on the possibility of increasing the number of doses in vials to 15 from 10.
    - EU is also close to finalising talks with Novavax for 200 million doses.

Plausible that everyone aged 16+ will get a vaccine if they want one by July rather than September.

Thank God that they finally copped on and took this serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

David Higgins has fallen in love with Luke O’Neill last few days :D
    https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1361416857970900992?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

David Higgins has fallen in love with Luke O’Neill last few days :D
    How could you not? Even for me April/May is optimistic, but I agree with the general tone that by Summer we should be seeing lots of supply and hopefully a vaccine for everyone who wants one.

It's good that at least someone is trying to counteract the unrelenting doom-mongering and moaning. We always knew supply would be limited in Q1, the major manufacturers aren't able to ramp up until Q2/Q3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

How could you not? Even for me April/May is optimistic, but I agree with the general tone that by Summer we should be seeing lots of supply and hopefully a vaccine for everyone who wants one.

It's good that at least someone is trying to counteract the unrelenting doom-mongering and moaning. We always knew supply would be limited in Q1, the major manufacturers aren't able to ramp up until Q2/Q3.

Things are looking a lot more positive now and I'm sure there will be quite a few bumps ahead but more further good news and acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hmmm, i totally agree the unrelenting scaremongering has gotten a bit far fetched now, but you read articles like this https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-government-scientists-want-to-keep-social-distancing-measures-in-place-for-foreseeable-future-12219223 you can’t help but think our zero covid cohort and some elements of NPHET actually want some aspects of this shît show to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

rooney30 wrote: »
    Can some one please explain to me, why when the likes of Staines , Ryan and other zero covid zealots speak , that they make almost no reference to the fact that 3 very effective vaccines exist and soon to be 4 or 5 .
    It’s almost as if vaccination is as effective as taking vitamin d in preventing covid !!’
    Doesn't fit their narrative. Sam McConkey another, was asked questions recently about the vaccines and could only give mumbled answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Doesn't fit their narrative. Sam McConkey another, was asked questions recently about the vaccines and could only give mumbled answers.

I have noticed that phenomenon on this forum in other threads. It’s like the vaccines were never announced. Some posters are stuck back in March 2020. Must be a denial thing doom merchants go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Hmmm, i totally agree the unrelenting scaremongering has gotten a bit far fetched now, but you read articles like this https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-government-scientists-want-to-keep-social-distancing-measures-in-place-for-foreseeable-future-12219223 you can’t help but think our zero covid cohort and some elements of NPHET actually want some aspects of this shît show to continue.

If you asked a virologist pre-COVID about how daily life should be, social distancing, masks and hand sanitiser would be their answer, they're too close to the coal face to realise that illnesses are part of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The vaccines work!! Why does this tear keep saying that variants are resistant? Needs to called up on this by Twitter at this stage!

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1361441905721098245?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cork2021 wrote: »
    The vaccines work!! Why does this tear keep saying that variants are resistant? Needs to called up on this by Twitter at this stage!

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1361441905721098245?s=21

Anything and everything that helps them push zero covid. Grabbing the fame while they can before nobody knows who they are anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Some of these fools won't be able to show their faces in public again once we're all hugging and shaking hands again, soon, and worry-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

astrofool wrote: »
    If you asked a virologist pre-COVID about how daily life should be, social distancing, masks and hand sanitiser would be their answer, they're too close to the coal face to realise that illnesses are part of life.

Illnesses are part of life. What do you mean by this?
    Societies, whole countries even, have been shaped by illness. Often for centuries. We are in the privileged positions of not having to live with those scourges. Perhaps these virologists are more aware of the enormous burden an unmitigated disease can place on all facets of society with particular focus on the modern healthcare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Some of these fools won't be able to show their faces in public again once we're all hugging and shaking hands again, soon, and worry-free.

That Staines is actually a bit of a caricature now though. Even more than McConkey and Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See an article about the iwi, that's Maori peoples and how their memory of white diseases ravaging their numbers in the 1900s, when they had no immunity, made them act early on reducing the spread of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Azatadine wrote: »
    That Staines is actually a bit of a caricature now though. Even more than McConkey and Ryan.

Twitter loves them but they don't realise that Twitter is not the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

McConkey is a borderline anti-vaxxer. Not the typical vaccines cause autism, 5G/Bill Gates mind control type of anti-vaxxer. But he and the others are essentially opposed to vaccines as it means there's no chance of their beloved zero-Covid strategy being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Turtwig wrote: »
    Illnesses are part of life. What do you mean by this?
    Societies, whole countries even, have been shaped by illness. Often for centuries. We are in the privileged positions of not having to live with those scourges. Perhaps these virologists are more aware of the enormous burden an unmitigated disease can place on all facets of society with particular focus on the modern healthcare system.

I'm just saying that if we asked their advice 18 months ago, and their advice in ~6-12 months time, will likely be a mirror of each other.

However, I fully agree with the restrictions an guidelines in place at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

is_that_so wrote: »
    Here's a list of vaccination centres to date, 37 of them. For most people the process will be by self-registering.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0215/1197176-covid19-vaccines-ireland/

That's great. I expect it won't take for local politicians to make some noise how there should be a centre in their very rural village, while they forget that the local GP will also be doing vaccinations.

..speaking of which, excuse me while I'll go contact my local politician, and ask why the nearest centre to me is an hour's bus ride away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1361428312564899846?s=20

Reportedly Stephen Donnelly doesn't want to be asked any tough questions about the botched vaccine rollout.

I guess they want the media and public focused on breaking issues like Tenerife dentists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Who is in group 6-Key workers?

Gael23 wrote: »

I believe its these lads https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was wondering would it be Guards, Bus drivers, postmen and so on. People not in healthcare but in close contact with the public

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s almost everyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think that group is too broad for group 6.

It would see me (a 30 year old accountant) get the vaccine before my 64 year old father that's high risk with immune and neurological conditions.

I was wondering would it be Guards, Bus drivers, postmen and so on. People not in healthcare but in close contact with the public

Yea maybe you're right actually, makes more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gov.ie site says it is:
    Key workers (Vaccination Programme)
    "Providing services essential to the vaccination programme."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1361428312564899846?s=20

Reportedly Stephen Donnelly doesn't want to be asked any tough questions about the botched vaccine rollout.

I guess they want the media and public focused on breaking issues like Tenerife dentists.
    All sounds like a bit of a sulk TBH. She even explains why in that thread. Nothing to see here at all.

botched =unsuccessful because of being poorly done.

How have we given out nearly 300K vaccines, so? Nearly 6% have had a first jab and probably north of 2% with a second jab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

is_that_so wrote: »
    All sounds like a bit of a sulk TBH. She even explains why in that thread. Nothing to see here at all.

botched =unsuccessful because of being poorly done.

How have we given out nearly 300K vaccines, so? Nearly 6% have had a first jab and probably north of 2% with a second jab.

But the Government should be doing 250K vaccinations an hour. We should have a million vaccinated people each week.

We should be flying ahead of the UK.

We're a laughing stock.

We should should just negotiate separate deals. And blah. blah blah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement