Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

is_that_so wrote: »
    All sounds like a bit of a sulk TBH. She even explains why in that thread. Nothing to see here at all.

botched =unsuccessful because of being poorly done.

How have we given out nearly 300K vaccines, so? Nearly 6% have had a first jab and probably north of 2% with a second jab.

It's not a sulk. Stuff like this needs to be called out, and stamped out immediately. It's a slippery slope we don't want to be on.

A minister should not get to decide who writes his reviews. His ex journalist aides, handpicking other journalists to attend the briefing is not good.

I'm not even of the opinion our vaccine rollout is going badly, but he needs to be accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

D.Q wrote: »
    It's not a sulk. Stuff like this needs to be called out, and stamped out immediately. It's a slippery slope we don't want to be on.

A minister should not get to decide who writes his reviews. His ex journalist aides, handpicking other journalists to attend the briefing is not good.

I'm not even of the opinion our vaccine rollout is going badly, but he needs to be accountable.
    its fairly well known from previous issues at weekly briefings that the press department at the department of health is piss poor. I would be INCREDIBLY surprised if donnelly had anything to do with this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Interesting comment by Dr Ronan Glynn:

“Dr Glynn added the prospect of allowing people who are vaccinated to re-engage with society is under "active review" but it will be a few weeks before advice is given.“

Is that a hint that vaccinated people could get more freedoms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Interesting comment by Dr Ronan Glynn:

“Dr Glynn added the prospect of allowing people who are vaccinated to re-engage with society is under "active review" but it will be a few weeks before advice is given.“

Is that a hint that vaccinated people could get more freedoms ?

For older people who get vaccinated, it would be completely unreasonable to tell them they still can't see their children or grandchildren (who they might not have seen for nearly a year).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

For older people who get vaccinated, it would be completely unreasonable to tell them they still can't see their children or grandchildren (who they might not have seen for nearly a year).

There’s a couple of grandparents i know have made their mind up regarding that matter once vaccinated :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Micky 32 wrote: »
    There’s a couple of grandparents i know have made their mind up regarding that matter once vaccinated :pac:

Quite right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Doesn't fit their narrative. Sam McConkey another, was asked questions recently about the vaccines and could only give mumbled answers.

McConkey was on Matt Cooper recently and suggested that we 'oversold' the vaccine in October and November and that it wouldn't prevent disease. The emerging data in Israel would suggest otherwise, as on Sunday they reported a 94% reduction in symptomatic cases among 600,000 fully vaccinated people in that country. I have respect for him, but I don't know what evidence he had to make that claim.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

St.Spodo wrote: »
    McConkey was on Matt Cooper recently and suggested that we 'oversold' the vaccine in October and November and that it wouldn't prevent disease. The emerging data in Israel would seem to contradict this, as on Sunday they reported a 94% reduction in symptomatic cases among 600,000 fully vaccinated people in that country. I have respect for him, but I don't know what evidence he had to make that claim.

There’s also emerging evidence amongst vaccinated people in Israel that there’s a fourfold reduction in viral load in those who do get infected and there’s an associated drop in transmission. This was never flagged last year nor promised so you could say the vaccines were undersold

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McConkey was on Matt Cooper recently and suggested that we 'oversold' the vaccine in October and November and that it wouldn't prevent disease. The emerging data in Israel would seem to contradict this, as on Sunday they reported a 94% reduction in symptomatic cases among 600,000 fully vaccinated people in that country. I have respect for him, but I don't know what evidence he had to make that claim.
    McConkey has dug himself a hole as a contrarian and has an image to keep up. Mostly it's better not to listen to him too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

McConkey has dug himself a hole as a contrarian and has an image to keep up. Mostly it's better not to listen to him too much.

Think this is it. He's almost like a pantomime villain at this stage. You wonder if he even believes what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The genuine answer to most questions for anyone with any academic integrity is 'we're not really sure', 'we need more data', 'this could be possible, but we'll have to wait and see'. The news doesn't want anything other than definitives and so these clowns who'll say anything as long as their face is on TV bubble to the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

A pedantic question to ask but nonetheless,

On the GeoHive website, it says vaccine data is up to Sat, 13 Feb. Does that include Saturday itself?

irishlad. wrote: »
    A pedantic question to ask but nonetheless,

On the GeoHive website, it says vaccine data is up to Sat, 13 Feb. Does that include Saturday itself?
    yes, we're 48hrs behind so missing sunday and mondays data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

zuutroy wrote: »
    The genuine answer to most questions for anyone with any academic integrity is 'we're not really sure', 'we need more data', 'this could be possible, but we'll have to wait and see'. The news doesn't want anything other than definitives and so these clowns who'll say anything as long as their face is on TV bubble to the surface.

They have no problem mentioning new strains as more infectious or more deadly or likely to evade the vaccines as fact with very weak or no scientific data but if its good news they need as much scientic data they can get before agreeing with it. These are the same experts that were telling us it would be years before we'd have a vaccine if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

yes, we're 48hrs behind so missing sunday and mondays data

Edit: Nevermind, you answered what I asked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

McConkey was on Matt Cooper recently and suggested that we 'oversold' the vaccine in October and November and that it wouldn't prevent disease. The emerging data in Israel would suggest otherwise, as on Sunday they reported a 94% reduction in symptomatic cases among 600,000 fully vaccinated people in that country. I have respect for him, but I don't know what evidence he had to make that claim.

It really was unbelievable the claims that he came out with at the time. It was contrary to all the emerging research at the time in relation to protection from disease, transmission and how efficacious the vaccines were against variants.

I understand to some degree not wanting to fully hang your hat on "these are the vaccines that will end the pandemic" but he was so far away from this it was unbelievable. Anyone listening not keeping up to date would have had the impression that the current vaccines are useless which couldn't be further from the truth. Matt didnt challenge him at all which was extremely disappointing. Thank god for people like Luke O'Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

But in most cases, it's their unvaccinated children/grandchildren who will have to travel, in many cases more than the 5km.
    So that restriction would have to be relaxed (which I am completely in favour of btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭brickster69

Antibody rates rising fast in the old people.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1361617005971914752/photo/1

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Supply, supply, supply! When it's 1m doses a month for us is close to their current rate of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

It's fantastic to see vaccines being administered, it's just so disappointing that it has been so slow in comparison to UK. Can't believe the lack of urgency shown by the people we have to look up to here.

I assume most people in my cohort , working from home between 50-65 wont get a sniff of the vaccine for months and will just have to hope we don't catch the bloody virus in the meantime as well as all those working in the likes of supermarkets and other places who won't get it either.

The worrying thing also is that with a 1,000 cases a day still , many people expect things to start opening up! That makes the place more dangerous for the likes of the people I categorised above.

Hopefully after the "Meaningful Christmas" they won't cave in to Paddy's Day and Easter demands!

Supply, supply, supply! When it's 1m doses a month for us is close to their current rate of doing things.

50K of AZ, what are you doing with it. Giving it to the Postmen. Get the old people done, it is not going to kill them. Sod what Merkel & Macron say.

- Camille Paglia

Widescreen wrote: »
    It's fantastic to see vaccines being administered, it's just so disappointing that it has been so slow in comparison to UK. Can't believe the lack of urgency shown by the people we have to look up to here.

I assume most people in my cohort , working from home between 50-65 wont get a sniff of the vaccine for months and will just have to hope we don't catch the bloody virus in the meantime as well as all those working in the likes of supermarkets and other places who won't get it either.

The worrying thing also is that with a 1,000 cases a day still , many people expect things to start opening up! That makes the place more dangerous for the likes of the people I categorised above.

Hopefully after the "Meaningful Christmas" they won't cave in to Paddy's Day and Easter demands!
    Another poster ignoring the current supply issue. What we are getting in we are largely sticking in arms.

50K of AZ, what are you doing with it. Giving it to the Postmen. Get the old people done, it is not going to kill them. Sod what Merkel & Macron say.
    There is a HCW group of 110K being done concurrently with the over 80s. Oh, the HSE say the same as Merkel & Macron, other vaccines are better choices. 80K in shots being done this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Whilst we are currently behind the UK, it is just a tad disingenuous to use a graph that has not been adjusted for population.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Whilst we are currently behind the UK, it is just a tad disingenuous to use a graph that has not been adjusted for population.
    Yep.

And you know what other graph we're behind the UK on? Deaths.

All these people banging on about how great the Brits are doing with the vaccines all seem to have forgotten what a shit show they presided over for the previous 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

You see, we accept slack performance in this country, that is why less than two hundred thousand people have had a vaccine in two months!
    And supply HAS been sitting around at times, especially recently when the issue between getting either Astra or Pfizer came up.

Aah shur, we'll get the vaccines done soon enough anyway!

• Advertisement

Widescreen wrote: »
    You see, we accept slack performance in this country, that is why less than a hundred thousand people have had a vaccine in two months!
    And supply HAS been sitting around at times, especially recently when the issue between getting either Astra or Pfizer came up.

Aah shur, we'll get the vaccines done soon enough anyway!
    :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement