Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

User142 wrote: »
    In December Vardakar told us we would hit critical vaccination numbers in March. That this lockdown would be shorter than than Lockdown 2.

Clearly FG have switched tact to copy the current BoJo tactic of "underpromise and overdeliver".

I can't blame them but the switch from overpromising to give people hope last month to now under promising is going to wreck people's spirits.

Nothing FG say in the present about lockdown measures in the future should be given much weight.
    I never knew fine gael was in charge of manufacturing vaccines and supplying them

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

I never knew fine gael was in charge of manufacturing vaccines and supplying them

Exactly, they are in no position to talk about what situation we will see ourselves in by Summer. They have no control over vaccine supply and have a bad track recorded at predicting what state the future country will be in. They have little control over this. So for people's mental health its best to ignore their ministers for the time being.

Donoghues comments on staycations can be thrown straight in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feels like a sporting event with us cheering on J&J

Come on J&J certification is way out of this hell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Feels like a sporting event with us cheering on J&J

Come on J&J certification is way out of this hell

It all depends on how many doses they have ready to go. I haven't really seen any figures apart from how many doses purchased.
    The US have had to re-jig their vaccine schedule as J&J will only have 10mil doses ready for them when the FDA approves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The HSE have trained 6,000 vaccinators.

A GP in the southeast did 300 today, in the over 85 age group.

(I read that somewhere today, can't find it now.)

Here is a GP practice that did 100 today:

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1361755979013046272

If those 6,000 can match that GP's productivity, then we could do 1.8m per day.

If some of the 6,000 are not actually injecting, and if we are very conservative by dividing by 10, we should still be able to do 100,000 per day???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Geuze wrote: »
    The HSE have trained 6,000 vaccinators.

A GP in the southeast did 300 today, in the over 85 age group.

(I read that somewhere today, can't find it now.)

Here is a GP practice that did 100 today:

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1361755979013046272

If those 6,000 can match that GP's productivity, then we could do 1.8m per day.

If some of the 6,000 are not actually injecting, and if we are very conservative by dividing by 10, we should still be able to do 100,000 per day???

Are you talking about the Keog practice in Waterford which has 16 doctors and vaccinated 300 people today?

https://m.independent.ie/news/real-palpable-positivity-as-gps-start-to-roll-out-the-covid-19-vaccine-to-over-85s-40098411.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think a multiplier of about 50 per day per vaccinator might be fair.
    One hospital did over 1,000 staff with 22 vaccinators in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Keog practice in Waterford which has 16 doctors and vaccinated 300 people today?

https://m.independent.ie/news/real-palpable-positivity-as-gps-start-to-roll-out-the-covid-19-vaccine-to-over-85s-40098411.html

Good man, thank you.

Must adjust my sums, so.

If we assume that all 16 did injections, then that's 18.75 vacc per GP per day.

Now, all 16 could hardly devote 100% of time today to vacc??

Ok, back to my sums.

Assuming that half of the 6,000 HSE staff actually do the vacc, at 30 per day, then we can do 90,000 per day??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good woman, thank you.

Must adjust my sums, so.

Ok, back to my sums.

Assuming that half of the 6,000 HSE staff actually do the vacc, at 30 per day, then we can do 90,000 per day??
    Fixed your post :pac:

250000 a week seems to be the current target when they have supply so that would be 36000 per day which is 12 per day per vaccinator if 3000 vaccinators which seems low to me

If we got supply of half a million a week with 3000 vaccinators we should be able to do 500k a week

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I think the AZ timeline was something like. great news AZ have applied to the EMA.. everyone lets push to get it approved early,...EMA:decision approved,public:game changer' finally this is the beginning of the end,... AZ:oh wait all does the vaccines ye were promised we cant deliver near as many as we said...EMA: also that vaccine we just approved, its ok but there are better out there, don't use on those who are at most risk if at all possible.

Bracing myself for a similar J & J story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Good man, thank you.

Must adjust my sums, so.

Ok, back to my sums.

seems sums for the sake of sums, all about supply, im sure if someone dropped us over 2m vaccines on Easter Sunday we'd roll them out in 4 or 5 weeks.

TBF, i know its hard to trust to HSE but they seem to be scallibg up the plan to match the hopeful expectations of supply, id say there is a strong chance some of these centres might be overally busy outside of few weeks period

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the AZ timeline was something like. great news AZ have applied to the EMA.. everyone lets push to get it approved early,...EMA:decision approved,public:game changer' finally this is the beginning of the end,... AZ:oh wait all does the vaccines ye were promised we cant deliver near as many as we said...EMA: also that vaccine we just approved, its ok but there are better out there, don't use on those who are at most risk if at all possible.

Bracing myself for a similar J & J story!

You're certainly a, glass half empty person. We have vaccines and we'll all vaccinated in the next 6 months. The rest are details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Stheno wrote: »
    That would be almost 65% of the adult population vaccinated by the end of June, not including those already done

Which would be getting close to everyone who can/wants to receive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

hynesie08 wrote: »

If Donnelly said this, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

If Donnelly said this, I'll believe it when I see it.

Wouldn't trust a word that comes out of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Water John wrote: »
    You're certainly a, glass half empty person. We have vaccines and we'll all vaccinated in the next 6 months. The rest are details.

I hope so too. But the talk of restrictions into 2022 is making many people doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Something I don't get.

All EU countries are said to have (proportionate to their population) access to the same number of vaccines in the same timeframe.

If that is the case, how does Malta manage to have 8% of its population vaccinated and most/all other EU countries are at less than 3%? I get it that Malta's population is tiny (half a million?) but why were they given access to more early doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

embraer170 wrote: »
    Something I don't get.

All EU countries are said to have (proportionate to their population) access to the same number of vaccines in the same timeframe.

If that is the case, how does Malta manage to have 8% of its population vaccinated and most/all other EU countries are at less than 3%? I get it that Malta's population is tiny (half a million?) but why were they given access to more early doses.

Malta is paying extra to get the vaccines faster.

embraer170 wrote: »
    Something I don't get.

They've paid double and seem to have been able to get additional vaccines from suppliers.
    But they're also unsure if some of the vaccines they have paid for, will ever be delivered.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    They've paid double and seem to have been able to get additional vaccines from suppliers.
    But they're also unsure if some of the vaccines they have paid for, will ever be delivered.

Paid double? Was it not all the same price for each EU country per dose?

Also the initial delivery of Pfizer was the same for every member state, so they literally received enough to vaccinate 2% of their population in the first delivery.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Paid double? Was it not all the same price for each EU country per dose?

Also the initial delivery of Pfizer was the same for every member state, so they literally received enough to vaccinate 2% of their population in the first delivery.

According to their own Finance Minister they are paying €28 instead of €12.
    https://newsbook.com.mt/en/watch-malta-paying-e16-more-for-certain-covid-vaccine-doses-to-ensure-early-delivery-minister/

Malta doesn't have a great reputation for transparency and (whatever is the opposite of corruption)
    They also kill journalists that try to investigate the government corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,413 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Malta is paying extra to get the vaccines faster.

Wonder how much extra, we would be far better paying €500 a completed dose (€2.25 billion) than being in this lockdown for 6 months longer than is needed and the economy being down €10billion more plus.

josip wrote: »
    According to their own Finance Minister they are paying €28 instead of €12.
    https://newsbook.com.mt/en/watch-malta-paying-e16-more-for-certain-covid-vaccine-doses-to-ensure-early-delivery-minister/

Malta doesn't have a great reputation for transparency and (whatever is the opposite of corruption)
    They also kill journalists that try to investigate the government corruption.

I was trying to find out more about it, couldn't find anything really. Hard to know if it's like priority shipping or the first pallets leaving the factory go to Malta or are they getting more than their allotment in each delivery.
    The latter I'd have an issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

hynesie08 wrote: »

Those replies are ridiculous:

If's and maybe's while England vaccinates it's whole population by July/August :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Those replies are ridiculous:

Do people not realise that there's no guarantee of supply? It's all contingent on the suppliers sticking to the delivery dates and volumes. He's using the word "could" because previous so called promises have come back to bite him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

User142 wrote: »
    In December Vardakar told us we would hit critical vaccination numbers in March. That this lockdown would be shorter than than Lockdown 2.

Clearly FG have switched tact to copy the current BoJo tactic of "underpromise and overdeliver".

I can't blame them but the switch from overpromising to give people hope last month to now under promising is going to wreck people's spirits.

Nothing FG say in the present about lockdown measures in the future should be given much weight.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there two other parties in government and aren't the Taoiseach and MoH from a different party? What was said and by a whole posse of non-FG ministers as well was that they hoped to get all the over 70s done by the end of March. Now, that's mid-April and those projections came via the vaccination task force and the HSE. Not sure if they are all FG but I suppose some could be part of that whole FG plot thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

is_that_so wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there two other parties in government and aren't the Taoiseach and MoH from a different party? What was said and by a whole posse of non-FG ministers as well was that they hoped to get all the over 70s done by the end of March. Now, that's mid-April and those projections came via the vaccination task force and the HSE. Not sure if they are all FG but I suppose some could be part of that whole FG plot thing.

The MoH is FF also. But I get your point.

I thought the new official timing for over 70’s is now mid-May. Which is hopefully more realistic than the previous sound bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The MoH is FF also. But I get your point.
    I'm bemused that people get so irate about ministers answering stupid questions. We know exactly what the script is and the only time they will say anything different is when they do one of those long awkward podium sessions with the three amigos.

EDIT: Reid said a week or so ago mid-April for first shots.

https://www.thejournal.ie/paul-reid-vaccines-5347674-Feb2021/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Wonder how much extra, we would be far better paying €500 a completed dose (€2.25 billion) than being in this lockdown for 6 months longer than is needed and the economy being down €10billion more plus.

Malta is small enough to not matter in term of the number of doses relative to the bigger picture. We're still small, but big enough that if we tried similar, it would kick off a bidding war and we'd be blown out of the water by the big countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement