Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Any thoughts on when we might see approved Vaccines for children aged 12+ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on when we might see approved Vaccines for children aged 12+ ?
    There is testing ongoing with all three approved vaccines I believe but it is likely to be Q2(April on) or possibly later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Those replies are ridiculous:

Quote:
    If's and maybe's while England vaccinates it's whole population by July/August

I would say that is easily achievable if the 30 million J&J come through early enough.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Those replies are ridiculous:

Quote:
    If's and maybe's while England vaccinates it's whole population by July/August

I would say that is easily achievable if the 30 million J&J come through early enough.
    And that though is an "if" for the UK. It's just irritating when people assume that the same potential supply issues couldn't possibly hit the UK. It's more realistic to temper expectations, even if it sounds more negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Human challenge trials do not sit comfortably with me. I get this is an emergency and all. It still doesn't sit right. There's no rescue therapy for covid yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

So is that another (roughly) million vaccines in Q2 for Ireland on top of what's already coming? At this rate we'll have everyone done by July!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Turtwig wrote: »
    Human challenge trials do not sit comfortably with me. I get this is an emergency and all. It still doesn't sit right. There's no rescue therapy for covid yet.
    I don't see an issue with it tbh. If people want to volunteer that's their own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Kingston Mills on Claire Byrne now, always think he’s the most realistic ‘pundit’. Never too optimistic, never too negative. Said J&J is great news but reluctant to use the ‘game changer’ term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

With all the toing and froing going on with these vaccines, I feel like I've completely lost track of how many we are anticipating to have in Q2. Anyone who is tracking this have any estimations for weekly deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I don't see an issue with it tbh. If people want to volunteer that's their own choice.

If you are young and healthy, absolutely. We allow people to climb Mt Everest (and lots of other crazy stuff), which is orders of magnitude more risky than being infected with Covid (if you are young and healthy).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

eigrod wrote: »
    Kingston Mills on Claire Byrne now, always think he’s the most realistic ‘pundit’. Never too optimistic, never too negative. Said J&J is great news but reluctant to use the ‘game changer’ term.

Kingston Mills is very good in fairness. He’s to the point and no bullshît from him. He knows the endgame is near but isn’t going full on Luke O’ Neil yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

With all the toing and froing going on with these vaccines, I feel like I've completely lost track of how many we are anticipating to have in Q2. Anyone who is tracking this have any estimations for weekly deliveries?

The Danish Serum Institute have been great for updates on this, they have a calendar of "expected vaccinations" updated very regularly - their population is a tad higher than Ireland so adjust figures down marginally (we are 4.9mil, they are 5.8mil), but it is just a small adjustment down. Their current calendar is:

https://www.sst.dk/-/media/Udgivelser/2021/Corona/Vaccination/Kalender/Vaccinationskalender-A4-webtilgaengelig.ashx?la=da&hash=5234BB82243B24FD492FDDAC1388CA9A22BC83D6

At the top are expected delivery numbers.

This suggests all vaccinated by the end of June. They had an article this week stating that this had been brought forward by a few weeks, and explained why here (google translate or knowledge of Danish required):

https://www.sst.dk/da/Nyheder/2021/Alle-der-oensker-det-kan-vaere-vaccineret-inden-sommer

This is owing to approx 1mil extra Pfizer expected by the end of Q2, which squares with the AP article above that states that the EU is set to get 75 million extra by the end of Q2, and as such, it is not unreasonable to make such a projection for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

hynesie08 wrote: »

There are an awful lot of thick people in those replies or they are being knowingly disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The Danish Serum Institute have been great for updates on this, they have a calendar of "expected vaccinations" updated very regularly - their population is a tad higher than Ireland so adjust figures down marginally (we are 4.9mil, they are 5.8mil), but it is just a small adjustment down. Their current calendar is:

https://www.sst.dk/-/media/Udgivelser/2021/Corona/Vaccination/Kalender/Vaccinationskalender-A4-webtilgaengelig.ashx?la=da&hash=5234BB82243B24FD492FDDAC1388CA9A22BC83D6

At the top are expected delivery numbers.

This suggests all vaccinated by the end of June. They had an article this week stating that this had been brought forward by a few weeks, and explained why here (google translate or knowledge of Danish required):

https://www.sst.dk/da/Nyheder/2021/Alle-der-oensker-det-kan-vaere-vaccineret-inden-sommer

This is owing to approx 1mil extra Pfizer expected by the end of Q2, which squares with the AP article above that states that the EU is set to get 75 million extra by the end of Q2, and as such, it is not unreasonable to make such a projection for Ireland.

Is it realistic to expect 420k doses a week in April if Denmark is expecting 500k a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Denmark has similar population to us (5.8m vs 4.9m) so seems like a reasonable expectation.

Before the J&J application, Reid was talking about 1m+ doses a month from May.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

lbj666 wrote: »
    Is it realistic to expect 420k doses a week in April if Denmark is expecting 500k a week.

I cannot answer that definitively, but I believe it is a reasonable enough assumption given the proposed Danish timeline as they are purchasing under the same agreements as us. Lots to be positive about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

A lot of discussion here on how much vaccine might be coming and when. Theoretically, that all sounds good and if those vaccines were put into people's arms with a week or two or their delivery, we could be done with this in early summer.

So, the question is logistically have we got the ability to vaccinate millions quickly?

Or...will the problem change from one of vaccine supply to one of "rollout"?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

kevin7 wrote: »
    A lot of discussion here on how much vaccine might be coming and when. Theoretically, that all sounds good and if those vaccines were put into people's arms with a week or two or their delivery, we could be done with this in early summer.

So, the question is logistically have we got the ability to vaccinate millions quickly?

We should be able to rollout it out fine. If not they should get civil defense and st John's ambulance service etc to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    We should be able to rollout it out fine. If not they should get civil defense and st John's ambulance service etc to assist.

And the army !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Never taught I would experience vaccine envy but a number of my friends and family have now gotten the second dose, and as a full time carer to a vulnerable child god only knows when I might be able to get mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Good question! I don't think we'll have a problem. All hands on deck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Scientists should reverse engineer COVID and make it so it kills itself without harm to other cells.

Infect one person with this new anti-covid covid and watch the world heal :pac:

Sorry, had a really strong cup of coffee and I'm buzzin'..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd hope we can.

If we've the supply, GPs could easily do 30k + a day (you'd be looking at about 10 a gp per day then which doesn't seem like a huge number to be looking for) which would give us 150k from Monday to Friday. Add in the mass vaccination centres, people who'll get it on hospitals etc, pharmacies, dentists, weekend work etc we should be easily be hitting 300k a week at a minimum I'd hope.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd hope we can.

If we've the supply, GPs could easily do 30k + a day (you'd be looking at about 10 a gp per day then which doesn't seem like a huge number to be looking for) which would give us 150k from Monday to Friday. Add in the mass vaccination centres, people who'll get it on hospitals etc, pharmacies, dentists, weekend work etc we should be easily be hitting 300k a week at a minimum I'd hope.
    250K a week is currently the target when we have the supplies. J&J will make that a lot easier to hit. Come April and May when we are heading in that direction this whole slow rollout strop will be forgotten.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

is_that_so wrote: »
    250K a week is currently the target when we have the supplies. J&J will make that a lot easier to hit. Come April and May when we are heading in that direction this whole slow rollout strop will be forgotten.

If we're getting 420k a week like the poster guessed at based on Denmarks plan, I'd hope we'd be hitting more than 250k myself, especially with the single dose one (so less admin comes into it). With the single dose, GPs can be vaccinating people as part of their normal daily workload, so someone comes in for a checkup and gets vaccinated as part of that (it's how I generally get the flu vaccine).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement