Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting to see in there the lack of drama of the EU monitoring of vaccine exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Off topic but in that article they say that "Israel has administered the first dose to 75% of its population" which is incorrect. It's 75 doses per 100 people but that also includes second doses. Surprised they made that error although it seems to be a common misconception.

titan18 wrote: »
    If we're getting 420k a week like the poster guessed at based on Denmarks plan, I'd hope we'd be hitting more than 250k myself, especially with the single dose one (so less admin comes into it). With the single dose, GPs can be vaccinating people as part of their normal daily workload, so someone comes in for a checkup and gets vaccinated as part of that (it's how I generally get the flu vaccine).
    Yeah Reid said 1m+ a month in Q2. The plan to date has been to get to 250K a week and they should be able to push that higher if they have supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

kevin7 wrote: »
    A lot of discussion here on how much vaccine might be coming and when. Theoretically, that all sounds good and if those vaccines were put into people's arms with a week or two or their delivery, we could be done with this in early summer.

So, the question is logistically have we got the ability to vaccinate millions quickly?

Or...will the problem change from one of vaccine supply to one of "rollout"?

Have no confidence in the government/HSE to do this in a smooth manner. Logistics Is definitely not a strong point within the HSE .
    How can we have confidence when they don’t even know what locations they have as vaccination Centres .
    Randomly naming hotels that hadn’t even been approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

harr wrote: »
    Have no confidence in the government/HSE to do this in a smooth manner. Logistics Is definitely not a strong point within the HSE .
    How can we have confidence when they don’t even know what locations they have as vaccination Centres .
    Randomly naming hotels that hadn’t even been approached.

Just the one hotel and they had been approached and checked out for suitability initially, just not confirmed. The hotel handled it badly by trying to publicly shame the HSE.....they're no longer a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I can't find it, but someone on here strongly hinted that J&J could be going into arms before Feb was over. I'm now starting to think it wasn't a throwaway guess.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Looks like we could be seeing a change to the priority list
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1362015228385513474?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Just the one hotel and they had been approached and checked out for suitability initially, just not confirmed. The hotel handled it badly by trying to publicly shame the HSE.....they're no longer a venue.
    Wasn’t just the one hotel

https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccaination-centres-5356216-Feb2021/

A real storm in a thimble this!

• Advertisement

EU has just announced a new deal for 150 million more Moderna doses to be delivered in Q3 and Q4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Fair enough, hadn't seen that report.

Point is, they're not just randomly naming hotels/venues. They've been approached and checked for suitability, just perhaps not finalised. You'd swear they were just going through tripadvisor looking for nice spots to vaccinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

titan18 wrote: »
    If we're getting 420k a week like the poster guessed at based on Denmarks plan, I'd hope we'd be hitting more than 250k myself, especially with the single dose one (so less admin comes into it). With the single dose, GPs can be vaccinating people as part of their normal daily workload, so someone comes in for a checkup and gets vaccinated as part of that (it's how I generally get the flu vaccine).

Are the masses expected to have a consultation with their GP also? that seems like a potential bottleneck if we are at point where 400k doses are coming in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

It will be interesting to see how many over 85s will have been vaccinated a week from last Monday when the effort began .I suspect it won't be a huge figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lbj666 wrote: »
    Are the masses expected to have a consultation with their GP also? that seems like a potential bottleneck if we are at point where 400k doses are coming in a week.

They gave approval for practice nurses to administer the vaccines recently so that should make things easier. I don't think pharmacists are currently recruited into giving the vaccines so that another option to scale up if we get more supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Looks like we could be seeing a change to the priority list
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1362015228385513474?s=20

This would make sense to me, the biggest problem with the current plan is the fact that medicaly vulnerable people under the age of 65 are so far down the priority list. There are people that the HSE are classing as extremely vulberable who are in group 7 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Sconsey wrote: »
    This would make sense to me, the biggest problem with the current plan is the fact that medicaly vulnerable people under the age of 65 are so far down the priority list. There are people that the HSE are classing as extremely vulberable who are in group 7 at the moment.

Seeing as group 4 are nearly completed I wonder will the vulnerable under the age of 65 get the AZ vaccine next or will they have to wait for Pfizer’s/ J&J pending approval

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah Reid said 1m+ a month in Q2. The plan to date has been to get to 250K a week and they should be able to push that higher if they have supplies.

250k a week would take us 8 months to reach herd immunity. Maybe you could knock a mo th off that with J&J. Still very slow. Best practice is 1 shot for every hundred people per day, which could be 350k per week for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

is_that_so wrote: »

Is Ireland one of those countries where smaller territorial entities, like counties, or regions, can sign individual agreements with the vaccine manufacturers, like Germany and Italy are doing, to bypass the EU supply bottleneck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

EU has just announced a new deal for 150 million more Moderna doses to be delivered in Q3 and Q4

EubV_4-WQAEifUw?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Moderna, the Internet Explorer of the vaccine world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is Ireland one of those countries where smaller territorial entities, like counties, or regions, can sign individual agreements with the vaccine manufacturers, like Germany and Italy are doing, to bypass the EU supply bottleneck?

For the nth time.
    The bottleneck is not at the EU.
    The bottleneck is at the manufacturers whose available supply for at least the next 3-6 months is already allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We must nearly there now :confused:

I heard the old daily vaccination rate has dropped of late, any truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

josip wrote: »
    Moderna, the Internet Explorer of the vaccine world.

In the US they have given out just as much Moderna as they have Pfizer. They're not sharing though because of Trump's Executive Order of no vaccines leaving the country (which Biden for all his talk of internationalism hasn't bothered rescinding).

That's why Canada and Mexico have to get their supplies from the Pfizer plant in Belgium, putting further strain on the European vaccination programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Yevon wrote: »
    The pettiness coming out now, particularly from the media, about the naming of the vaccination centres is baffling. Government saying it was the HSE who chose the centres. Reporters noting that the government press statement said the Minister for Health was confirming the locations.

WHO CARES!! The media trying to get the government/HSE in a 'Gotchya' moment for listing a not fully finalised location in a list is so petty and unimportant. If the locations are right on the list when you are doing your online booking, that's all that matters.

Chambers/Reilly/Murphy sending snide tweets on this, is that journalism??

Standard of journalism here is on it's knees. Most are much more concerned with their own personal brand than being accurate and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

lbj666 wrote: »

Nope, but if you're in with your GP anyway and they have available doses, it could be a way to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Like I got the flu vaccine in September as she had available doses there and I was just in there for a blood test so got it done as I was in. I'd imagine not everyone will get done like that but could help a small bit on the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Standard of journalism here is on it's knees. Most are much more concerned with their own personal brand than being accurate and informative.

It's not just that. They seemed more obsessed with interpersonal crap and reactions than actual science. It really does reek of when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem is a nail. They can't perceive anything beyond interpersonal squabbles.

/vent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

josip wrote: »
    For the nth time.
    The bottleneck is not at the EU.
    The bottleneck is at the manufacturers whose available supply for at least the next 3-6 months is already allocated.

What if some country/region/government/whatever is willing to pay twice as much for the same doses? Should the manufacturers deny the agreement with them in favour of the EU, or could they sell to the best buyers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Seeing as group 4 are nearly completed I wonder will the vulnerable under the age of 65 get the AZ vaccine next or will they have to wait for Pfizer’s/ J&J pending approval

Group 4 hasn't even started yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement