Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

1191192193194195197»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ebbsy wrote: »
    Time for this country to let the UK authorities take over the rollout here.

Pay them to do it.

There's a post from someone with little knowledge of what's been happening in the UK.

Or is it that you're just a loyalist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The graphic around half-way down this page I think is very clear on the risks/benefits. I don't think the data on this has been debunked has it?
    https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-qa-the-uks-astrazeneca-blood-clot-announcement

E.g.

For every 100,000 50-year olds who receive the vaccine, it means 10.5 fewer ICU admissions every 16 weeks. By contrast, 0.4 (half a person) may experience a dangerous blood clot.

That's not even to mention the other benefits of bringing this pandemic to a close sooner. Weren't we all worried about new variants arising 24 hours ago, how is that risk reduced if we delay our vaccination program? And what about the economic implications of dragging this out to late Summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

hmmm wrote: »
    The graphic around half-way down this page I think is very clear on the risks/benefits. I don't think the data on this has been debunked has it?
    https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-qa-the-uks-astrazeneca-blood-clot-announcement

E.g.

For every 100,000 50-year olds who receive the vaccine, it means 10.5 fewer ICU admissions every 16 weeks. By contrast, 0.4 (half a person) may experience a dangerous blood clot.

That's not even to mention the other benefits of bringing this pandemic to a close sooner. Weren't we all worried about new variants arising 24 hours ago, how is that risk reduced if we delay our vaccination program? And what about the economic implications of dragging this out to late Summer?
    Yeah I felt that a restriction was incoming, but honestly surprised by the high barrier (60+) for AZ being proposed. It has clear benefits for administration at host ages, particularly 50+ when the alternative is people waiting longer to get any vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Although I don't agree with the over 60s limit on AZ. I most certainly do not think cost of vaccine should be ahead of people's lives

This would be hilarious if it wasn’t so tragic. We’re now at a situation where you have to be left at risk of the big bad covid because of a minute chance of an adverse reaction. Whatever happened to saving lives from covid no matter the cost?
    And secondly, a broken deeply indebted economy kills people on a massive scale. This Monopoly money being frittered around now is going to kill our children and our grandchildren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's a post from someone with little knowledge of what's been happening in the UK.

Or is it that you're just a loyalist?

I go for medical treatment in the UK twice a year Mr. Thicko, I know exactly what is happening there.

Thicko, just like your ould lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

For those asking whether people who got AZ already will be recommended for their 2nd dose , in all likelyhood yes. These are people in either high risk of exposure (remaining HCWs) or high risk of severe illness(Cohort 4-7).

There is enough eligible for AZ vaccine to use up whats expected between now and end of June. If AZ only and only AZ is ring fenced for 60-69s its likely to mean delay in finishing that cohort by a couple of weeks, but making more progress than planned elsewhere in parrallel.

The alternative is to give what jab is available at while working down this group, but meaning AZ is going to be on the shelf until its time for the 2nd dose. Other cohorts waiting for jabs that they are eligible for ,but were used by 60-69 will have to wait and remember you may aswell count 2x for every pfizer jab given the 2nd dose is so soon after.

So the question is which is more important, getting 60-69 done as quickly as possible and sacrifice a few weeks in the overall rollout or not.

E.g.

the graphics are flawed because it does not separate unlying illness and those that dont.
    So its over playing the risk for normally healthy but under playing it for those with underlying illness.

BUT;

Anyone who thinks they are in the low exposure category from now on, forget about it .

Edit: i forgot to say it only compares ICU to severe side effects. so every CST event fell in the severe but on the other side it doesn't even get into hospitalisations or long covid etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

E.g.

That's UK data. While I would expect ours to be similar, it may not be. I'll wait to see what NIAC announce before suggesting it's disproportionate.

I'm still cautiously optimistic it was RTE mistaking under 60s in the general population. That all cohorts above that including those under 60 years in cohorts 4 and 7 will still be offered AZ. Who knows though will have to wait and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Elessar wrote: »
    Christ almighty this is infuriating.

The Irish authorities are, as usual, on the extreme end of conservatism with everything to do with this pandemic. After the longest and probably most draconian restrictions on planet earth, they are going ultra-cautious with AZ rather than take the bigger picture into account.

You can be damn sure a lot of over 60s will refuse AZ now, and ultimately they will have to be given another one. Rather than a blanket ban for under 60s they should allow under 60s to take it with a note that these clots are a tiny possible side effect. I'm sure many would still take one.

Otherwise this is going to be a complete shambles, again.
    I'm hoping the backlash will be strong and the government will force them to re-adjust the age restrictions to something more proportionate. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Turns out they were dead right. I knew the rollout would be a shambles in this country but what a joke we really are.

Whatever about the rest of your post but this is a global problem not an Irish one.

Edit: Am I the only person fascinated by this thread in the sense that in the mornings it's civilized balanced discussion and then by the evening it's like a cocaine fueled cock-fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm hoping the backlash will be strong and the government will force them to re-adjust the age restrictions to something more proportionate. Madness.
    Where is this backlash going to come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

Who gets to decide what’s appropriate on a medical issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

There won’t be a backlash - Irrational health anxiety has become a national pastime, and they’ve moved on from fear of covid onto fear of the vaccines. I’m almost looking forward to the next wave, when side effects from Pfizer get publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

is_that_so wrote: »
    Where is this backlash going to come from?

Communication from constituents
    Social media reaction
    The media
    TDs (hopefully Cabinet Ministers) with a bit of cop on

Some scientists in their cushy public sector jobs needs to touch base with the real world here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 maviesk

Vaccine press conference at 7.30pm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

Allow people to sign waivers and get the AZ vaccine if there is unused surplus.

The idea that a "couple of weeks" delay in the vaccination programme is trivial is unreal. A quarter of the country is out of work.

There shouldn’t even be a waiver. The chance of blood clotting is so small. If thats the case then you should be signing a waiver for every prescription/medicine/vaccine you ever take.

Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

maviesk wrote: »
    Vaccine press conference at 7.30pm..

Given Fergal Bowers story was published at lunchtime and there's been no confirmation since I wouldn't be surprised if its a different story at this press conference. Clearly there has been a lot of talking since 1pm. Whatever issues we can see with this decision, those involved in the vaccine rollout will have seen many fold more. Hopefully sense has prevailed and its over 55s or 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Where's the press conference happening online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

Social media reaction
    The media

Some scientists in their cushy public sector jobs needs to touch base with the real world here.

Replace medical experts with effective mob rule ?

Social media reaction
    The media

Some of us are quite happy to trust the experts here. Again, it's not just Ireland. Most of Western Europe, Canada and Australia are doing similar. It's not going to impact the rollout as badly as some are claiming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Where's the press conference happening online?

I presume RTE News Now or something like that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Russman wrote: »
    Replace medical experts with effective mob rule ?

You got it in one!:D What couldn't go wrong with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Insanity. People are more likely to develop a blood clot from a contraceptive pill than the AZ vaccine.

60+ is far too restrictive.

Given Fergal Bowers story was published at lunchtime and there's been no confirmation since I wouldn't be surprised if its a different story at this press conference. Clearly there has been a lot of talking since 1pm. Whatever issues we can see with this decision, those involved in the vaccine rollout will have seen many fold more. Hopefully sense has prevailed and its over 55s or 50s.

It warrants a press conference regardless of whether there is inconsistency or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

lbj666 wrote: »
    It warrants a press conference regardless of whether there is inconsistency or not.

Sure. But if the second meeting, which Fergal Bowers said was ongoing in an article published at ca. 2pm, was just rubber stamping an earlier decision, the press conference would surely have been at 4pm or some such, not 7.30pm. I'm just speculating that the second meeting turned out to be much longer and, therefore, may have involved a rethink....

Godot. wrote: »
    Insanity. People are more likely to develop a blood clot from a contraceptive pill than the AZ vaccine.

60+ is far too restrictive.

They are very different types of clot. One in four CVST cases from the AZ vaccine result in death. Mortality rates for VTEs from the pill are nowhere near that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Sure. But if the second meeting, which Fergal Bowers said was ongoing in an article published at ca. 2pm, was just rubber stamping an earlier decision, the press conference would surely have been at 4pm or some such, not 7.30pm. I'm just speculating that the second meeting turned out to be much longer and, therefore, may have involved a rethink....

There’s ramifications from the decision that will need to be dealt with.

On the restrictions. A quick Google search has:
    Germany above 60
    Italy above 60
    France above 55
    Canada above 55
    Australia above 50
    Greece above 30
    UK above 30

Obviously I’m not putting in upper limits as I’m too lazy to find them, but those are the current lower limits.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

New Megathreads splitting between:
    Testing
    and
    Vaccines

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement