Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

As an aside the moderna number is still at 1893 doses administered, anyone any ideas on this?

I think they only got c3,600 doses of Moderna and used them to trial out 3 of the mass vaccination centres. They gave out those 1893 first doses mostly to GPs and held back 50% for the second dose. Might even be this weekend that the second doses are administered.

The Pfizer jab is recommended for 4 weeks for the second dose because it was only tested for that time frame. If they had time to test different intervals then approval would have been delayed by two months or longer, so this is the data they have. No evidence to say that it will be less effective.

If 12 weeks is equal or better we will see, but obviously there would be some sort of scientific advice and strong evidence that there is.

Again you are exposing your lack of knowledge. The Pfizer vaccine was qualified for 21 to 42 days. But you seem to know better than Ugur Sahin.

It’s ok to admit you are wrong you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

People say pubs, I say the cinema. I wanna go to the MAXX screen in Mahon Point and watch a movie while gorging myself on popcorn, sharing the room with a hundred or so people and not worrying about a stupid virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

funnydoggy wrote: »
    People say pubs, I say the cinema. I wanna go to the MAXX screen in Mahon Point and watch a movie while gorging myself on popcorn, sharing the room with a hundred or so people and not worrying about a stupid virus.

Agree, Mahon Point maxx seats are ridiculously comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭brickster69

Again you are exposing your lack of knowledge. The Pfizer vaccine was qualified for 21 to 42 days. But you seem to know better than Ugur Sahin.

It’s ok to admit you are wrong you know

The data for EU, UK & USA approval was based on a second dose of 21 - 28 days because that was the only data they had from phase 3 trials to submit. If it has been recommended after that up to 6 weeks fair enough, if another qualifies it for 3 months then that is it's decision.

If the UK strategy is to get as many people vaccinated at once then that is it's decision based on strong evidence to do so.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/955846/annex-b-comparison-between-1-and-2-dose-prioritisation-for-a-fixed-number-of-doses.pdf

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Covid breathalysers might be a thing soon - the company developing them says their device takes a sample in 15 seconds, and analyses it in three. The result (positive/negative) is based on "biomarkers" found in the sample, which are compared to samples from Covid patients.

I don't know - sounds very interesting, but I wonder how reliable it will be. They will have results from field tests in the Netherlands soon, and an EU certificate this month, so they'll be able to start producing the devices very soon.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/rapid_covid_breath_test_devices_developed_in_finland/11788674

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

hmmm wrote: »
    I don't like new threads, it normally takes years for a thread to get to this point. I only want to use threads which have been around for years.

You need to see the Glastonbury 'Chat' forum in Efestivals, the covid thread is 2,568 pages long.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

funnydoggy wrote: »

The movie ‘No Time To Die’?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Read the SA paper on the AZ/Oxford 'results'.

The main thing is, they lack data, they need more. They also are noting the difference in endpoint qualifications between J&J and Oxford and are raising a valid point there, the vaccines might be much closer than the released numbers would suggest.

The nAB titer drops look a bit more prominent than for Pfizer/BNT and Moderna. The overall picture there looks to be that the nAB response for the SA variant is below the correlate of protection. If we take the 60% efficacy as a yard stick then for that in the PSV assay that would read at around 200-300ish, and for the LV assay a 1:16 dilution. The signal is still there, it's just too low and from the first graphs it doesn't look like the booster at 4-6 weeks did much of anything as the rise in titers looks very similar to what J&J had without a booster (still climbing at day 57). It makes the 12 week boost interval look even more of a reasonable approach.

I think the decision to jab 100k people and monitor them for outcomes is a very sound approach and since they will use J&J alongside AZ/Oxford we should have a much better picture in the comming months of the utility of both vaccines in the field against that variant and also how they stack up to each other. My laymans take on them both would be that after the single dose J&J might be ahead a bit but once the booster at 12 weeks kicks in then AZ/Oxford should pull ahead.

One odd, even surprising, thing I noticed was the distinct lack of differences between titers in those who were vaccinated and got a breakthrough infection. I would have expected a very distinct difference there, since the other way around there is a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The movie ‘No Time To Die’?

God yes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Skyfloater wrote:
    Is the EMA still waiting for J&J to submit their request for approval, and if so, it begs the question why? Surely the data they sent to the American FDA is the exact same for us Europeans. The EMA should be offering to fill out the paperwork for J&J, not passively waiting for the application to arrive in the post.
    EMA is working on the rolling review of several vaccines.

Rolling review of the J&J data started in December.
    Rolling review of the Novavax data started on 3 February.
    Rolling review of the CureVac data started today.

This was done with all vaccines so far. Rolling review starts ahead of the application. EMA doesn't sit idle! The application itself must be done by the pharma company.

All US based or affiliated pharma companies first seek FDA approval, then Canadian and then only EMA approval. That's the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Micky 32 wrote: »

Rough coke can calculation, that 1 can of coke is the same volume as 3.48bil cans of coke in coffins for the victims.

Why do RTE decide to run an article like that?
    We've heard it before in the movie Outbreak:
    You have to love its simplicity. It's one billionth our size and it's beating us
    Granted it's smaller than that on multiple scales, but viruses have always been small, maybe RTE just learned that.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Rough coke can calculation, that 1 can of coke is the same volume as 3.48bil cans of coke in coffins for the victims.

Why do RTE decide to run an article like that?
    We've heard it before in the movie Outbreak:
    You have to love its simplicity. It's one billionth our size and it's beating us
    Granted it's smaller than that on multiple scales, but viruses have always been small, maybe RTE just learned that.

I think i heard once that 50,000 of these viruses can fit on the head of a needle. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

McGiver wrote: »
    The application itself must be done by the pharma company.

EMA are expecting the application from J&J in "days".
    Russman wrote: »
    I think they only got c3,600 doses of Moderna and used them to trial out 3 of the mass vaccination centres. They gave out those 1893 first doses mostly to GPs and held back 50% for the second dose. Might even be this weekend that the second doses are administered.

Around 40% of GP's, who did did not get the Moderna vaccine, are getting their first dose on Sunday in the Phoenix Park, but this time GP's are been given the AZ/Oxford vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

JTMan wrote: »
    EMA are expecting the application from J&J in "days". .

Class. So what's the timeframe till approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sky King wrote: »
    Class. So what's the timeframe till approval?
    AZ was 17 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Yevon wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times we have received 16,800 doses of Moderna since the initial dose of 3,600. All of it has been kept in stock for use this week on the over 85s.

Looking forward to the next few weeks and watching the effort ramp up. I'm hoping it will really give people a boost and help ease the fears of the older generation in particular.

Hopefully they'll actually tell the over 85s most are in limbo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Plenty of vaccines on the way according to the very positive Luke O'Neill

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1360514307180670978?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I see Chile got close to 1% of their population getting a shot in a single day last week. They would only be the third country to hit that number after Israel and the UAE. I think this is the magic number countries need to be hitting. Israel are now at 72 shots given per 100 and UAE are at 50, Chile are already at 10 having only ramped up this month. Herd immunity will be achieved somewhere around 150 to 160. The UK are still only at 22 and the US are only at 15. While both are getting plaudits for their rollout this month it would take them over a year to reach herd immunity at their current pace.

We only need 50k per day to hit that 1% number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snotboogie wrote: »
    I see Chile got close to 1% of their population getting a shot in a single day last week. They would only be the third country to hit that number after Israel and the UAE. I think this is the magic number countries need to be hitting. Israel are now at 72 shots given per 100 and UAE are at 50, Chile are already at 10 having only ramped up this month. Herd immunity will be achieved somewhere around 150 to 160. The UK are still only at 22 and the US are only at 15. While both are getting plaudits for their rollout this month it would take them over a year to reach herd immunity at their current pace.

We only need 50k per day to hit that 1% number.
    That's for May and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just read the below Article in The Irish Times which says that 21,600 doses of AZ arrived in Ireland yesterday and a similar number previously but that only 476 doses of AZ have been administered so far.
    Does anyone know why this is so low ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/republic-s-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-to-accelerate-1.4483475

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just read the below Article in The Irish Times which says that 21,600 doses of AZ arrived in Ireland yesterday and a similar number previously but that only 476 doses of AZ have been administered so far.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/republic-s-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-to-accelerate-1.4483475

"Up to last Tuesday" . Sure its rollout only started on Monday. Its been going to healthcare workers all week.

It was 4,600 as of Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Up to Wednesday, 4603 AstraZeneca doses have been used. I presume when we get figures for Thursday, Friday, Saturday it will show that AstraZeneca was used a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Will the Health Minister last in his job until June?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Of course he will. Otherwise, the government would have to admit they've made a series of blunders. And they're fundamentally incapable of doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

because it cnat be administered to the over 70's, will all be gone in a few days next week,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

He will last until Covid is no longer a huge issue and Fine Gael call an election. Probably october time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

yes he will, and its not the purpose of this thread,

We are part of the EU, with a border with our oldest friends / enemy over the past millenia,

We sourced our vaccines thru the EU,

Paul Reid and Co are well prepared to administer the vaccines, Supply will be the constraint not the Irish peoples ability to organis and get it done,

If you think 2020 was a good year to leave the EU, and source Vaccines as a small independant country, good luck with that,

The startegic gap in Europe is

1, Research (bioentek), Manufacturing etc. These need to be closed for the next pandemics in the future,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement