Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Germany has a 750,000 Az gathering dust as the population don't want to use it for some reason. Why don't the government get in touch to take some fro them and get half a million under 65's jabbed

yea that type of innovation could really help a small country like ours. It wouldn't take too many small side deals with large nations to get us all sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How will a medical condition be verified for group 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

yea that type of innovation could really help a small country like ours. It wouldn't take too many small side deals with large nations to get us all sorted!

Now the German health minister is coming out saying it is perfectly safe and to use it. But they have a choice what to take over there and people are scared from what they read in the papers. Probably means Germany and these other countries will want more Pfizer quantities instead.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gael23 wrote: »
    How will a medical condition be verified for group 7?

I would imagine a letter from GP or hospital consultant .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can I ask you a favour ?
    I cant read it properly but can see reference to Anaphylaxis ? Could you read what it asks and write it out for me ?
    Thanks in advance

Have you had anaphylaxis (serious systemic allergic reaction requiring medical intervention) following a previous dose of the vaccine or any of its constituents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Do we know if all or only certain vaccines will be administered in MVCs? Presumably the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will have their stocks tightly controlled for a while to ensure that those in the vulnerable groups can get their second dose within the period, could that mean AZ and J&J (assuming it is approved) being predominantly used in MVCs?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

AdamD wrote: »
    Have you had anaphylaxis (serious systemic allergic reaction requiring medical intervention) following a previous dose of the vaccine or any of its constituents?

Thank you very much

Any sign of the revised rollout plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

A lot of people seem to misunderstand the word efficiacy in these vaccines.

70% effectiveness does not mean that 30% of those vaccinated will get sick. The 100% basis relates to the number of people who fall ill in the group that has not been vaccinated.

EG. In a group of 10,000 unvaccinated people, 200 people become ill. Then these 200 people are the basis for calculating the effectiveness.

Now comes the comparison with the group of vaccinated people. For example, 60 people fall ill there. Then one talks of an effectiveness of 70%. So only 60 people out of the 10,000 vaccinated people are sick. Compared to the 200 people in the 10,000 unvaccinated group.

If you take the above example, the different efficacy values ​​based on 200 patients in an unvaccinated group of 10,000 people mean:

60% = 80 infected people vaccinated (out of 10,000 people)
    70% = 60 sick people (out of 10,000 people)
    90% = 20 sick people (out of 10,000 people)

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Yevon wrote: »
    Is there any sort of date for further trial data from AZ? I think they were doing one in the US. If we got further data, particularly on the over 60s, it would be a great help.

I can remember who said it not the NIAC but another body involved in vacination said a few weeks ago during the big fuss over data, that the further data they were waiting on would be available end of March, which i presume is the US trial data cause the UK would only be a few weeks into their 2nd doses at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Do we really think we’ll get 1 million vaccines per month in April/May/June?

Is it achievable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

lbj666 wrote: »
    I can remember who said it not the NIAC but another body involved in vacination said a few weeks ago during the big fuss over data, that the further data they were waiting on would be available end of March, which i presume is the US trial data cause the UK would only be a few weeks into their 2nd doses at that point.

Was it Colm Henry?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Do we know if all or only certain vaccines will be administered in MVCs? Presumably the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will have their stocks tightly controlled for a while to ensure that those in the vulnerable groups can get their second dose within the period, could that mean AZ and J&J (assuming it is approved) being predominantly used in MVCs?

The vulnerable groups are the priority, what they can do with AZ and JJ in the meantime is a bonus.

Based on the rigours they are going through to ensure the mRNA vacines can be rollout to GPs and their conglomerations, theres no reason the mRNAs cant be administered at MCVs , it should be easier for 39 MVCs compared to 100s of GP clinics.

its going to be interesting once the vulnerable groups are done, the Pfizer vacine will almost be as plentiful as the others with no clear hierachy left for who should get them.

Was talking to an 81 year old lady a while ago who has been told not to expect a vaccine until around Easter

Was it Colm Henry?

It was a woman, not Karina Butler. Her role escapes me ,was on news at one during the efficacy fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Watching the news there and the the Kilkenny GP who was doing drive thru vaccinations and the older last crying after getting it! It just shows how much we need to get it out as soon as we get it, she was so sick of been at home ! I nearly shed a tear listening to her!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It was a woman, not Karina Butler. Her role escapes me ,was on news at one during the efficacy fuss.

Anne O'connor? COO of the Hse?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Was talking to an 81 year old lady a while ago who has been told not to expect a vaccine until around Easter

80-85s will be vaccinated within the next 3 weeks, thats bs anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I am really starting to feel there are regional differences. Should we have a dedicated topic to people with or with knowledge of confirmed vaccination dates?

For example:

86 - Cork - 15 February

(random example)

Not the first person on the topic to mention something like that.

• Advertisement

https://www.rnd.de/politik/spahn-plant-kostenlose-corona-schnelltests-fur-alle-burger-A6TCIT5ADJB2DD45MHMKP7DVRA.html

Read it and weep!!!
    The German Health Minister intends to allow free antigen tests for all citizens in Germany from March.

Germany has a 750,000 Az gathering dust as the population don't want to use it for some reason. Why don't the government get in touch to take some fro them and get half a million under 65's jabbed

Germany is really not doing a great job at the rollout. There are still widespread infections in some care homes that have had delayed vaccinations.

Dozens of mass vaccination centres have been ready since before Christmas.

embraer170 wrote: »
    Germany is really not doing a great job at the rollout. There are still widespread infections in some care homes that have had delayed vaccinations.

Dozens of mass vaccination centres have been ready since before Christmas.
    Do you understand that over 18% of their population is over 65 while in Ireland it is just 13%. 83million people in Germany so that means 15 million people over 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The vulnerable groups are the priority, what they can do with AZ and JJ in the meantime is a bonus.

Based on the rigours they are going through to ensure the mRNA vacines can be rollout to GPs and their conglomerations, theres no reason the mRNAs cant be administered at MCVs , it should be easier for 39 MVCs compared to 100s of GP clinics.

its going to be interesting once the vulnerable groups are done, the Pfizer vacine will almost be as plentiful as the others with no clear hierachy left for who should get them.

I was more thinking that as they will still be supplying the 100s of GP clinics when the MCVs come online, it might be easier to separate out where each vaccine is going. As it stands, we have about 150k doses of Pfizer already allocated for second doses over the next three weeks and from this week that is going to increase a lot. Seems more difficult logically to keep all these second doses going to the 100s of GP clinics and in MVCs which will be flying through it.

Do you understand that over 18% of their population is over 65 while in Ireland it is just 13%. 83million people in Germany so that means 15 million people over 65.

In theory the vaccines are allocated proportionate to the total population so there is no reason why Germany is far behind other Member States (or has 750,000 vaccines sitting in fridges). Plenty of German teachers, police officers, etc. would surely be happy to get the AZ vaccine.

If all states (and local health authorities) were equally competent with the same policies and approaches, they should be able to vaccinate at broadly similar rates. Of course, the reality is far different and even then there are huge outliers (like Malta!).

I have been quite critical of some things in Ireland's COVID handling but the vaccine rollout has not been going bad .... so far.

embraer170 wrote: »
    In theory the vaccines are allocated proportionate to the total population so there is no reason why Germany is far behind other Member States (or has 750,000 vaccines sitting in fridges). Plenty of German teachers, police officers, etc. would surely be happy to get the AZ vaccine.

If all states (and local health authorities) were equally competent with the same policies and approaches, they should be able to vaccinate at broadly similar rates. Of course, the reality is far different and even then there are huge outliers (like Malta!).

I have been quite critical of some things in Ireland's COVID handling but the vaccine rollout has not been going bad .... so far.
    Considering the demographics of Germany its death rate at 799 per Million is excellent. It is well below most of the rest of Western Europe and even below Ireland's figure even though Ireland has a much lower average aged than Germany.

Here are their stats for vaccination as of today.
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Daten/Impfquoten-Tab.html

Considering the demographics of Germany its death rate at 799 per Million is excellent. It is well below most of the rest of Western Europe and even below Ireland's figure even though Ireland has a much lower average aged than Germany.

Here are their stats for vaccination as of today.
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Daten/Impfquoten-Tab.html

Ireland is 812 so not a massive difference.

Ireland is 812 so not a massive difference.
    It is a virus that kills older people so, yes, it is a huge difference.

That timeline would put them close to Easter for the second dose. They possibly misunderstood

• Advertisement

It is a virus that kills older people so, yes, it is a huge difference.

Yes it does disproportionately affect over 65’s. I will not get into that battle as I was arguing it here yesterday. Fair points but they do have significantly more critical care capacity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement