Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

Got my second Pfizer shot today , was called with 30 mins notice .feeling a bit wonky after it but a few hours in bed an paracetomol should clear that up I expect, so happy I could lick a lampost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

wandererz wrote: »
    86 year old recent former cancer & stroke patient just got an appointment date of Easter Friday!!! ��������

Over 85's are first in line, but... 6 weeks!!

Doesn't bode well for everyone else anytime soon!

Please explain how any place is giving booking dates, six weeks out? Over 85s are to get their first dose in the next 2/3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

86 year old recent former cancer & stroke patient just got an appointment date of Easter Friday!!! ��������

Over 85's are first in line, but... 6 weeks!!

Doesn't bode well for everyone else anytime soon!

I hate to push a thread I started but could you enter the info here (with a county?). It would be good to try to gain a countrywide picture of what is actually happening in the field.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058161140

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Water John wrote: »
    Please explain how any place is giving booking dates, six weeks out? Over 85s are to get their first dose in the next 2/3 weeks.

There were several reports of similar earlier in this thread. Assuming it is true, it is mistakes, statistical outliers, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

I can't explain. Just got text from him saying 1pm on Good Friday at his GP (actually 5 weeks from tomorrow).

So definitely not 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Oh well looks like the vaccines don’t work.........

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1362521413551292417?s=21

I can't explain. Just got text from him saying 1pm on Good Friday at his GP (actually 5 weeks from tomorrow).

That would be the time of the second dose. Would the person who contacted him, have misread the diary in front of them?
    That time looks like when they'd be giving the first dose to somebody under 80.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did they check whether they got one or two texts? One for 1st and one for 1nd jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Stheno wrote: »

Is it possible that one dose of Pfizer could be deemed enough, maybe for certain people (under say 40, generally good health, no known underlying conditions, etc)? If there is the potential for another booster to be needed later anyway, is there much to be gained from giving these people two shots of the current one given the results coming out from one shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apparently a second shot is needed for long lasting antibodies. But supposedly you get good protection for at least 3 months after the first shot. I'd definitely be in favour of us delaying the second shot until supplies are plentiful and get as many people as possible vaccinated with their first shot during the ramp up period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The GP contacted us in regard vaccine for an over 85 year old family member. As this person is house bound and unable to travel, the GP stated in that circumstance, they were unable to administer the vaccine and suggested waiting for another type of vaccine.

I had thought however, based on news reports, that the HSE said that there were plans in place for this contingency. Does anyone known anything concrete about these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

Stheno wrote: »
    Did they check whether they got one or two texts? One for 1st and one for 2nd jab?

I think this may indeed be the case. Will confirm tomorrow.

Sorry Manach, not able to enlighten you but on a positive details of more robust findings of the Oxford/AZ for older patients is due out and may become an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Manach wrote: »
    The GP contacted us in regard vaccine for an over 85 year old family member. As this person is house bound and unable to travel, the GP stated in that circumstance, they were unable to administer the vaccine and suggested waiting for another type of vaccine.

I had thought however, based on news reports, that the HSE said that there were plans in place for this contingency. Does anyone known anything concrete about these?

I think there will be alternate arrangements in those cases, but may not be administered by GP, while it's awful to have to wait, it should become clear in the next few weeks, again, as supply is limited, they will just burn through the easy case over 85's initially, and then figure out the remaining (likely as they also start moving onto the 80-84 group).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is there such a thing as a cancellation list with the vaccinations? If somebody doesn't show, it seems like an awful waste of a vaccine if they don't use it up.

Apparently there was spare vaccines left over with vaccinating hospital staff. As vaccinations get ramped up, I'm kind of guessing that there will be some left over. Is there any plan to use up these spares?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Stark wrote: »
    Apparently a second shot is needed for long lasting antibodies. But supposedly you get good protection for at least 3 months after the first shot. I'd definitely be in favour of us delaying the second shot until supplies are plentiful and get as many people as possible vaccinated with their first shot during the ramp up period.

You mean like what the Uk have been saying for the last couple of months ? You want to go that route now ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Last week, my 83 year old mother's GP gave her an appointment date of April 6th.
    Posted on here at the time.
    Checked with GP as suggested, no mistake, 1st dose, but will reschedule earlier if they have surplus from the 85+ subgroup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Is there such a thing as a cancellation list with the vaccinations? If somebody doesn't show, it seems like an awful waste of a vaccine if they don't use it up.

Apparently there was spare vaccines left over with vaccinating hospital staff. As vaccinations get ramped up, I'm kind of guessing that there will be some left over. Is there any plan to use up these spares?

Lot of fuss over misuse of spares in the Combe if you recall, even before that news broke the policy was already in place to keep a short notice reserve list of 100 names (of priority )

Very likely something similar will be in place for the GPs, kind of easier just ring anyone who's due in the following week invite them in earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You mean like what the Uk have been saying for the last couple of months ? You want to go that route now ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Got second dose today of BioNTech-Pfizer Comirnaty alongside 175 others (nursing home residents, staff and healthcare workers).

We got 7 doses out of almost every vial today, compared to getting 7 out of a third of vials last time. Vaccinators have gained a lot of experience and with the right needles it’s definitely doable. Hopefully the GP’s are getting the right equipment and training too to obtain the bonus dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

No, I was suggesting adjusting policy based on evidence and data now available and only doing so for very low risk groups. That would be very different to the UK policy of making up their own strategy to allow them get jab numbers as high as possible for political reasons without supporting data and just hoping it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Already in place
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1362482208875950080?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I had only said to my mum the other day that when she brings my 80 yo dad for his to say to them she can be there in 20 minutes at the end of the day if they have spare. She’s 75 so one group behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Giving it to the slightly younger husband or wife of an 85 year old seems reasonable to me.

Is it 3 or 4 weeks between the two Pfizer doses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »
    Giving it to the slightly younger husband or wife of an 85 year old seems reasonable to me.

Is it 3 or 4 weeks between the two Pfizer doses?

4, my grandmother got it yesterday and was given her appointment for 2nd dose same day 4 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Had the first dose of the Astra Zenica vaccine yesterday. Rough night, didn't sleep great and feel awful this morning. Like a really bad hangover. Glad to get it done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Had the first dose of the Astra Zenica vaccine yesterday. Rough night, didn't sleep great and feel awful this morning. Like a really bad hangover. Glad to get it done though.

I had mine last Friday...I had the same experience so last weekend was basically a write-off :o
    Fever and chills, pain in arm at the injection site, terrible headache and fatigue, etc. - but I'm now back to normal :pac:

2nd dose due in May :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I had mine last Friday...I had the same experience so last weekend was basically a write-off :o
    Fever and chills, pain in arm at the injection site, terrible headache and fatigue, etc. - but I'm now back to normal :pac:

2nd dose due in May :)

A few people in work are describing similar symptoms, and then there's others not a bother on them......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Little steps adding up. We'll be arm in arm again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Hope it improves soon and you feel better. Had the first jab of Pfizer 24 hours ago, nothing since other than a killer sore arm. Agree, 'tis a relief to have had it done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement