Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Can I borrow your crystal ball? Want to do the lotto.

No need for the tone. I’d be the first to admit it’s far from certain. There are no certainties with vaccination strategies and reopening.

But there are two models right now for highly vaccinated countries reopening. Chile and Israel. One amazing, one terrible.

We could be either or we could be in between.

But highlighting the fact that covid MAY be at significantly higher levels in the next few months to someone with asthma who is planning on waiting to get the vaccine isn’t really worthy of snark is it?

higster wrote: »
    Just out of raddison center in limerick. Was quite. Very quite. Put in perspective maybe 12 check in desks, say 6 open and never saw more then 2 with someone checking in at one time. I saw 4 of about 20 vaccine cubes in use as walked through (all had medical people in them waiting) Same on “the other side” where wait for 15 mins observation. Saw max 7people there (arriving waiting leaving) the 15 mins I was there.

I’m assuming it’s people not showing up as is AZ vaccine. I do stand to be corrected and may be just have enough vaccines for that quantity of people.

I think it’s people not showing, there were just too many people standing around waiting to vaccinate people. If it’s is the case, I think this is madness.

Ok, AZ probably not as good as Pfizer. But “it’s good enough” at the very least and gives protection. I’m taking this any day vs the hope I’ll get Pfizer later (and it is a hope, more likely to be AZ or J&J one which from what I can tell are very similar all be it only one dose with the J&J one). Would I prefer Pfizer, yes. Am I going to take a bet on a possibility of getting it later (and will be much later by time all 2nd doses are done) vs AZ one now, hell no. Bird in the hand and all that.

Ps 4 hrs later, zero side effects.

Are you male or female? No problem if you do not want to answer. My husband is getting his Thursday and I have no worries about that. I am worried about it getting pulled for my age group a few days/ weeks after I get it amd being left in limbo or a mixed second dose.

Are you male or female? No problem if you do not want to answer. My husband is getting his Thursday and I have no worries about that. I am worried about it getting pulled for my age group a few days/ weeks after I get it amd being left in limbo or a mixed second dose.

Plenty of younger women in Beaumont vaccination centre today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The fact you've been offered the vaccine now means the HSE considers you an individual very likely to be hospitalised due to COVID. You really need to discuss your concerns with your gp or your consultant. Folks on the Internet can't advise you.

If you do decide you're not taking the vaccine please give adequate notice so somebody can easily take your spot without too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

LLMMLL wrote: »
    No need for the tone. I’d be the first to admit it’s far from certain. There are no certainties with vaccination strategies and reopening.

But there are two models right now for highly vaccinated countries reopening. Chile and Israel. One amazing, one terrible.

We could be either or we chould be in between.

But highlighting the fact that covid MAY be at significantly higher levels in the next few months to someone with asthma who is planning on waiting to get the vaccine isn’t really worthy of snark is it?

I think the Sinovac vaccine use in Chile element also has to be factored in, I don't think they have released final phase data of their trials yet, while only having around 50% efficacy in previous ones. It does seem a mixture of things in Chile that has caused problems. I always think country to country comparison, especially across other side of the world isn't a great metric yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

I’m a male type 2 diabetic. My daughter came with me, asthma, 18yrs old. Both got text exactly the same time. She wanted it done as doing leaving cert and didn’t want COVID to mess that up (she has worked damn hard all year and didn’t want the risk of being sick with COVID (vs what she believes a lot lower risk of side effects). Couldn’t get there fast enough and I made her read the risks (and this thread).

Thought your husband said didn’t want it either. Sincere apologies if I picked that up wrong.

But each person does need to make there own choices, understand that.

Turtwig wrote: »
    The fact you've been offered the vaccine now means the HSE considers you an individual very likely to be hospitalised due to COVID. You really need to discuss your concerns with your gp or your consultant. Folks on the Internet can't advise you.

If you do decide you're not taking the vaccine please give adequate notice so somebody can easily take your spot without too much hassle.

I am aiming to have my final decision by the morning so I can try to make contact, I do not know who to contact but soneone suggested hse live. I might ring my gp in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

lbj666 wrote: »
    Its cause the vaccine centre has be set up for a capacity far more than the supply it is getting at the minute.

Very little to do with people turning down AZ vacines, its a pretty sensationalist assertion to be honest.

Great if correct. Apologies all round if wrong and yeah can see how that would be sensationalist.

But What makes you think this?

What made me think was people not showing as saw list of names (couldn’t read aes, but could see yes/no/na beside names...easily 80% were na or no). I didn’t mention it in original post as I am going to look like a right noisey dickhead (on top of sensationalist, gulp) but anyhow...maybe I got the wrong end of the stick there as well. Also, didn’t feel like medical people were hanging around. All cubes looked like they were looking for customers (I could have gone into any cube from what I can tell which I presumed meant they all had vaccine).

That is a perfectly valid concern, I'm also worried about taking AZ as a relatively young woman. Comments like "get to the back of the queue" are extremely unhelpful and short-sighted when there is clearly a safety issue here for women.

I do think that for someone with an underlying condition, the risk of covid is greater than the risk from the AZ vaccine, so in your case it makes sense to take it. However you could try ringing the HSE Live number or your GP, explain your concerns and ask if you can be booked in for a Pfizer vaccine at another time. It might not be possible, but you never know if you don't ask.

I’m a male type 2 diabetic. My daughter came with me, asthma, 18yrs old. Both got text exactly the same time. She wanted it done as doing leaving cert and didn’t want COVID to mess that up (she has worked damn hard all year and didn’t want the risk of being sick with COVID (vs what she believes a lot lower risk of side effects). Couldn’t get there fast enough and I made her read the risks (and this thread).

Thought your husband said didn’t want it either. Sincere apologies if I picked that up wrong.

But each person does need to make there own choices, understand that.

Thanks for the reply. Best of luck to your daughter in the leaving cert. Glad you are both feeling well, it is good to hear some people don't have side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Great if correct. Apologies all round if wrong and yeah can see how that would be sensationalist.

But What makes you think this?

What made me think was people not showing as saw list of names (couldn’t read aes, but could see yes/no/na beside names...easily 80% were na or no). I didn’t mention it in original post as I am going to look like a right noisey dickhead (on top of sensationalist, gulp) but anyhow...maybe I got thee wrong end of the stick there as well.

I cant speculate and i would be shocked there was 80% no shows without there being another explanation such as a double booking with another centre or delivery not arriving leading to cancellations.
    There is also a very big difference between N/A or no.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    That is a perfectly valid concern, I'm also worried about taking AZ as a relatively young woman. Comments like "get to the back of the queue" are extremely unhelpful and short-sighted when there is clearly a safety issue here for women.

I do think that for someone with an underlying condition, the risk of covid is greater than the risk from the AZ vaccine, so in your case it makes sense to take it. However you could try ringing the HSE Live number or your GP, explain your concerns and ask if you can be booked in for a Pfizer vaccine at another time. It might not be possible, but you never know if you don't ask.

They will say no to being booked in again for Pfizer. Really no point asking.

I cant speculate and i would be shocked there was 80% no shows without there being another explanation such as a double booking with another centre or delivery not arriving leading to cancellations.

The yes no could apply to anything. Did they have their pps number. Did they have photo id. We’re they referred by a particular clinic. It’s a real leap to think it’s no shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Could that high percentage of no or n/a not possibly just be in relation to being asked if they have ever had a vaccine or a prior reaction too one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Looks like Whitty in the UK thinks because of Chile the vaccines won’t get us out of this and that lockdowns are the way forward. Talk of a particular variant could be effectively evading the vaccine in Chile. Depressing future……

Only 20% are vaccinated in Chile so i don’t know how he comes to that conclusion.

They will say no to being booked in again for Pfizer. Really no point asking.

Maybe, maybe not. But if someone who is a priority for a vaccine is feeling this level of anxiety about it, I think a discussion should be had with someone who can actually help them (whether that's reassuring them about AZ, or rebooking them).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Maybe, maybe not. But if someone who is a priority for a vaccine is feeling this level of anxiety about it, I think a discussion should be had with someone who can actually help them (whether that's reassuring them about AZ, or rebooking them).

Sure they should have a chat but there is no way they will be rebooked for the vaccine of their choice. It’s not a case of maybe/maybe not. It’s a definite no.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jimmy 3 times

Does anyone know is there a list of where the next planned walk in test centres are going to be? I'm in D15 and was hoping to get to one but there doesn't seem to be any within 5km currently. The centres I've listed below that the hse give seem to all be finishing up over the next couple of days but I can't find any scheduled "next location"

-Coláiste Eoin, Cappagh Road, Dublin, D11 AY65 from 1 April to 7 April.
    -Quay Street Car Park, Quay Street, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin, K32 KD57 from 1 April to 7 April.
    -Crumlin GAA, Club House, Lorcan O’ Toole Park, Park Crescent, Crumlin, Dublin, D12 NX33 from 2 April to 8 April.
    -Navan O’Mahonys GAA Club, Paddy O'Brien Park, Brews Hill, Dillonsland, Navan, Co. Meath, C15 V383 from 1 April to 5 April.
    -Naas Racecourse, Tipper Road, Tipper West, Naas, Co. Kildare, W91 ED00 from 2 April to 6 April.
    -Athlone Regional Sports Centre, Brawny Road, Curragh, Athlone, Co. Westmeath N37 W3W0 from 2 April to 7 April.
    -Town Hall Library Car Park, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, H53 F2K3 from 2 April to 6 April.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Family member in Cohort 4 - still no word on getting an appointment date, which is disheartening. Other hospital clinics seem to be full steam ahead in comparison. I haven't been nagging the relevant clinic but it's getting frustrating when all you hear is "a list is being compiled" and other hospitals have already sent theirs.

• Advertisement

Sure they should have a chat but there is no way they will be rebooked for the vaccine of their choice. It’s not a case of maybe/maybe not. It’s a definite no.

It's not just a flippant "I want my no.1 choice", it's genuine anxiety due a safety issue that has been identified for that person's cohort. Under those circumstances, I don't think you can say with absolute certainty that the GP wouldn't place them on the waiting list for a different vaccine once it becomes available. After all it's better for a vulnerable person to be vaccinated slightly later than not at all. Maybe it's unlikely, but it's worth discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

charlie14 wrote: »
    Could that high percentage of no or n/a not possibly just be in relation to being asked if they have ever had a vaccine or a prior reaction too one ?

Most plausible suggestion ive heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's not just a flippant "I want my no.1 choice", it's genuine anxiety due a safety issue that has been identified for that person's cohort. Under those circumstances, I don't think you can say with absolute certainty that the GP wouldn't place them on the waiting list for a different vaccine once it becomes available. After all it's better for a vulnerable person to be vaccinated slightly later than not at all. Maybe it's unlikely, bit it's worth discussing.

There is no waiting list to get on other vaccines.

The one that's assigned to you is what's been clinically decided already.

It would be a free for all if it weren't the case.

It's not just a flippant "I want my no.1 choice", it's genuine anxiety due a safety issue that has been identified for that person's cohort. Under those circumstances, I don't think you can say with absolute certainty that the GP wouldn't place them on the waiting list for a different vaccine once it becomes available. After all it's better for a vulnerable person to be vaccinated slightly later than not at all. Maybe it's unlikely, bit it's worth discussing.

There is no waiting list for a different vaccine. The GP will not have the power to decide that someone with anxiety is prioritised for their vaccine choice.

I’m not really arguing with you. There’s really no argument. It’s just a fact that if boomtown talks to either the HSE or her GP about this on Friday she will be told that she cannot be prioritised for the vaccine of her choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

I am also cohort 4... female and in my early 30s...
    I haven’t got a date or allocated vaccine yet but I am hoping it will be soon. However Astra Zeneca has me worried as I know they don’t know the exact correlation yet but any that
    I have seen seems to indicate that it is down to oestrogen and progesterone levels in young women possibly associated with the combined pill. I have the added complication (when it comes to vaccination) of also being 6 months pregnant so my oestrogen and progesterone levels will be super high right now... I still think I’d take AZ if it was my only option but would have a lot of concern about it whereas I’d skip up to get Pfizer or Moderna...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

Been following this thread for a long time - just got text to get my AZ vaccine this friday - on humira so wasnt sure which medical group I fell into. Appointment was referred from my consultant in TUH and not my local GP - hope that helps anyone wondering if GPS doing the medical vulnerable yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Does anyone know is there a list of where the next planned walk in test centres are going to be? I'm in D15 and was hoping to get to one but there doesn't seem to be any within 5km currently. The centres I've listed below that the hse give seem to all be finishing up over the next couple of days but I can't find any scheduled "next location"

-Quay Street Car Park, Quay Street, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin, K32 KD57 from 1 April to 7 April.
    -Crumlin GAA, Club House, Lorcan O’ Toole Park, Park Crescent, Crumlin, Dublin, D12 NX33 from 2 April to 8 April.
    -Navan O’Mahonys GAA Club, Paddy O'Brien Park, Brews Hill, Dillonsland, Navan, Co. Meath, C15 V383 from 1 April to 5 April.
    -Naas Racecourse, Tipper Road, Tipper West, Naas, Co. Kildare, W91 ED00 from 2 April to 6 April.
    -Athlone Regional Sports Centre, Brawny Road, Curragh, Athlone, Co. Westmeath N37 W3W0 from 2 April to 7 April.
    -Town Hall Library Car Park, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, H53 F2K3 from 2 April to 6 April.

I can't help you with your question, but remember that the 5k limit is for regular exercise. You can go further for essential travel and I'm sure a Covid test would count as such as long as you drive to the centre (no public transport).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JPup wrote: »
    I can't help you with your question, but remember that the 5k limit is for regular exercise. You can go further for essential travel and I'm sure a Covid test would count as such as long as you drive to the centre (no public transport).

Walk in test centres are only for those who live within 5k.

It's local testing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

They are designed to target areas of high cases, not really for anyone to be tested if they want it. They also aren’t for people with symptoms, so if you have symptoms call your GP.

Is there a reason you want to go to one of the walk in ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The one on cappagh Road is pretty handy for D15. Head up through Ballycoolin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement