Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    They are designed to target areas of high cases, not really for anyone to be tested if they want it. They also aren’t for people with symptoms, so if you have symptoms call your GP.

Is there a reason you want to go to one of the walk in ones?
    The centres are specifically designed for those who don't have a particular reason for needing a test. They are there to establish community prevalence, and I imagine peace of mind and having to work on-site with others are enough reason for people to use them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Looks like Whitty in the UK thinks because of Chile the vaccines won’t get us out of this and that lockdowns are the way forward. Talk of a particular variant could be effectively evading the vaccine in Chile. Depressing future……

Only 20% are vaccinated in Chile so i don’t know how he comes to that conclusion.

Chile have 58 per 100 done. More than the UK. The bulk of vaccines in Chile though is the Sinovac one.

Perhaps its the vaccine that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jimmy 3 times

JPup wrote: »
    I can't help you with your question, but remember that the 5k limit is for regular exercise. You can go further for essential travel and I'm sure a Covid test would count as such as long as you drive to the centre (no public transport).

thanks anyway for the response! You do have to be within 5km for these though. I suppose they want to get an idea what the levels are within a specific area.

Some info there

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html

The one on cappagh Road is pretty handy for D15. Head up through Ballycoolin.

Sound. Ya, was looking at that one but I can't get off work till Thursday. And it closes tomorrow. That's why I was wondering about the next locations and if there's a list. All good, I'll just contact my gp. thanks

The centres are specifically designed for those who don't have a particular reason for needing a test. They are there to establish community prevalence, and I imagine peace of mind and having to work on-site with others are enough reason for people to use them.

thanks, ya, I don't have symptoms. But I do have to work with someone in fairly close proximity this weekend as an essential service. It's more peace of mind that I'm less likely to pass anything on to them

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    They are designed to target areas of high cases, not really for anyone to be tested if they want it. They also aren’t for people with symptoms, so if you have symptoms call your GP.

Is there a reason you want to go to one of the walk in ones?

I don't have symptoms. But I do have to work with someone in fairly close proximity this weekend as an essential service. It's more peace of mind that I'm less likely to pass anything on to them pretty much. I'm in an area with high cases to seemed like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Jane1012 wrote: »
    I am also cohort 4... female and in my early 30s...
    I haven’t got a date or allocated vaccine yet but I am hoping it will be soon. However Astra Zeneca has me worried as I know they don’t know the exact correlation yet but any that
    I have seen seems to indicate that it is down to oestrogen and progesterone levels in young women possibly associated with the combined pill. I have the added complication (when it comes to vaccination) of also being 6 months pregnant so my oestrogen and progesterone levels will be super high right now... I still think I’d take AZ if it was my only option but would have a lot of concern about it whereas I’d skip up to get Pfizer or Moderna...

I didn't realise they were vaccinating pregnant women yet, but it looks like they are offering it.
    https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine/pregnancy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's an effective vaccine why would you refuse it ?
    There's too many reports of issues with it.
    I don't want to be one of the unlucky ones, just like I don't want to be one of the unlucky ones to contract covid.
    I've avoided covid for over a year and I'm confident I can continue to do that. I'd rather wait for Pfizer or Moderna.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

thanks anyway for the response! You do have to be within 5km for these though. I suppose they want to get an idea what the levels are within a specific area.

Some info there

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html
    That's where they'll update it. Should hear where they'll next move to just before it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

astrofool wrote: »
    I didn't realise they were vaccinating pregnant women yet, but it looks like they are offering it.
    https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine/pregnancy.html

Yep - recommended if you fall in to a high risk group... I’m anxious to get it to be honest. But AZ would also mean I wouldn’t be fully vaccinated before baby comes as you can’t have it after 33 weeks, so I would have at least 18 weeks between doses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't want to be one of the unlucky ones, just like I don't want to be one of the unlucky ones to contract covid.
    I've avoided covid for over a year and I'm confident I can continue to do that. I'd rather wait for Pfizer or Moderna.

Right so your willing to take your chances with covid which can cause quite serious issues, compared to availing on an effective vaccine which like other vaccines has a miniscule chance of a rare side effect.

Sorry but I don't see the logic in this thinking at all. If your due to be called for it so there's a reason for that wouldn't you think ?

You've been on here long enough to know that there isn't a choice of vaccine.

Oxford have now paused Astrazeneca trials in children and teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I feel really bad for Oxford tbh!

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I feel really bad for Oxford tbh!
    Well it's their vaccine! Such pauses in trials, as we've seen this year, are not unusual at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

marno21 wrote: »
    Chile have 58 per 100 done. More than the UK. The bulk of vaccines in Chile though is the Sinovac one.

Perhaps its the vaccine that's the problem.

Word on the ground from Serbia is that the response from Sinovac takes quite a long time.
    Compared to Pfizer and AZ anyway.

Oxford have now paused Astrazeneca trials in children and teenagers.

200 in the paused trial.

We've seen this in nearly every trial carried out. It's not unusual.

Pause, wait for more information, continue. Usually all happens within a week to 10 days. Wouldn't expect anything different here.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well it's their vaccine! Such pauses in trials, as we've seen this year, are not unusual at all.

Very true. I just can't help but feel sorry for them that they're stuck with AstraZeneca lol

Ah but think of the headlines, AstraZeneca pause etc... remember the fuss that was made over the stoppages in Pfizer as well.

Pausing a trial is nothing new as you say, these ones just make the headlines

200 in the paused trial.

We've seen this in nearly every trial carried out. It's not unusual.

Pause, wait for more information, continue. Usually all happens within a week to 10 days. Wouldn't expect anything different here.

Well, since the blood clotting seems more prevalent in younger women, I hope they don't resume trials.
    It doesn't sound safe for that particular trial cohort.

• Advertisement

Cant understand your risk assessment tbh. If your getting offered a vaccine soon your risk is on the high side. Its all about odds. The odds are in your favour taking vaccine. How many people have died getting astra in ireland to date? How many people have died in ireland of covid 19 with underlying. I can understand a 20 year with no underlying health conditiins maybe being hesitant. When government have said its safe and odds of dieing of covid are say 1000 to 1 i know which decisionn id make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Is there any correlation between the clots in young women (predominantly in their 20's it seems), and use of the pill? The pill is known to cause clotting issues. My wife thought of this in passing - hopefully the scientists have too!

Given the limited info on this, it's a very simple but very sound explanation - and very easy to circumvent without trashing an otherwise sound vaccine!

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Very true. I just can't help but feel sorry for them that they're stuck with AstraZeneca lol

All AZ need to do is deliver what they've promised and they'll be out of the doghouse very quickly but they keep finding different ways to disappoint.

josip wrote: »
    Well, since the blood clotting seems more prevalent in younger women, I hope they don't resume trials.
    It doesn't sound safe for that particular trial cohort.

You hope they don't resume trials... how do you expect a vaccine to be approved for the age group without trials? Goes for all age groups & vaccines really, need trials.

Once regulators give the go ahead after reviewing data (in this case MHRA) then they'll start again

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

mollser wrote: »
    Is there any correlation between the clots in young women (predominantly in their 20's it seems), and use of the pill? The pill is known to cause clotting issues. My wife thought of this in passing - hopefully the scientists have too!

Given the limited info on this, it's a very simple but very sound explanation - and very easy to circumvent without trashing an otherwise sound vaccine!

Your wife unfortunately has not come up with anything new, the correlation has been mentioned many times in the media etc over the past 3 weeks

All AZ need to do is deliver what they've promised and they'll be out of the doghouse very quickly but they keep finding different ways to disappoint.

Such a damn shame!

You hope they don't resume trials... how do you expect a vaccine to be approved for the age group without trials? Goes for all age groups really, need trials.

Once regulators give the go ahead then they'll start again

Pfizer has already successfully completed trials for that cohort.
    No need to risk children in trials of a vaccine that isn't critical and that has unanswered questions from the adult cohorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Your wife unfortunately has not come up with anything new, the correlation has been mentioned many times in the media etc over the past 3 weeks

Cool - haven't seen it mentioned. It does make a lot of sense though, would be great if they could understand more and quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Right so your willing to take your chances with covid which can cause quite serious issues, compared to availing on an effective vaccine which like other vaccines has a miniscule chance of a rare side effect.

Sorry but I don't see the logic in this thinking at all. If your due to be called for it so there's a reason for that wouldn't you think ?

You've been on here long enough to know that there isn't a choice of vaccine.

It’s like trying to convince someone who’s afraid of flying how safe it is but they’ll drive all day in a car with no issues where you’re most likely to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

All the reports indicate they are rare, just cause you see more reports of it being rare doesn't make it less rare.

Its a handful in few million, when narrowed down to specific groups ie young women at worst would be around the 1 in 100,000s we will see what the studies show.

Your risk of getting covid and having a serious illness from it due to your unlying condition are far shorter than that by a decimal place or two maybe more.

You are also going to have to double down your efforts to avoid infection because as society opens up far higher infection levels can be tolerated before health service is impacted to the same degree as before. You may try and look after yourself but the world around you wont looking out for you the same they have in the past year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement