Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

mollser wrote: »
    Cool - haven't seen it mentioned. It does make a lot of sense though, would be great if they could understand more and quickly

Yes, I’m pregnant so thinking logically if the issue with the combined pill is the levels of oestrogen and progesterone, I would assume it’s going to be more of an issue for me. I’m also cohort 4 though so in a bit of a predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Yes, I’m pregnant so thinking logically if the issue with the combined pill is the levels of oestrogen and progesterone, I would assume it’s going to be more of an issue for me. I’m also cohort 4 though so in a bit of a predicament

The doctors will guide you through, I would avoid self diagnosing the issue and thinking it's related to oestrogen and progesterone, there is plenty of people on HRT getting supplements and no issues seen at that level, let the doctors and scientists do the studies and listen to their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

josip wrote: »
    Pfizer has already successfully completed trials for that cohort.
    No need to risk children in trials of a vaccine that isn't critical and that has unanswered questions from the adult cohorts.

Just because Pfizer has done a trial doesn't mean others just stop. Likely to need multiple suppliers in younger age groups as well.

I've no doubt the trials will continue when regulators allow.

As for the vaccine not being critical, that's just silly, of course it's going to be a crucial vaccine (why wouldn't it be ) for multiple countries and continents, not to mention COVAX when rolling out to adults and in time children

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Woody79 wrote:
    Cant understand your risk assessment tbh. If your getting offered a vaccine soon your risk is on the high side. Its all about odds. The odds are in your favour taking vaccine. How many people have died getting astra in ireland to date? How many people have died in ireland of covid 19 with underlying. I can understand a 20 year with no underlying health conditiins maybe being hesitant. When government have said its safe and odds of dieing of covid are say 1000 to 1 i know which decisionn id make.
    Well it's quite easy to avoid covid for me, just keep doing all the necessary. I always carry hand sanitizer and goggles, I social distance, wear a mask, and goggles if necessary, I wash my hands as soon as I get an opportunity. My family hasn't had any difficulty with being stuck together during this. I take vitamin d every morning, I eat oranges everyday so get loads of vitamin c too.
    I'm pretty confident I can avoid contracting covid for as long as is necessary. I'd consider my chances of contracting it as very low, probably as low as that of having issues with AZ.
    I'm not going to take the chance of being one of the unlucky ones.
    If I contract covid it's my own fault for not being cateful, if I take this drug and have serious complications then it's my fault for taking it.
    I like my chances better staying safe and waiting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

AstraZeneca is arguably THE most critical vaccine. COVAX forecasts 300 million AZ doses vs 1 million Pfizer doses this year alone.

• Advertisement

Pfizer has already successfully completed trials for that cohort.
    No need to risk children in trials of a vaccine that isn't critical and that has unanswered questions from the adult cohorts.

Pfizer for a number of reasons isn't very practical for much of the world. Price, storage and transport requirements all will cause issues. AZ have their problems but they're the only ones supplying at cost, is easily stored and they are currently carrying most of the burden for the COVAX programme. Regulators decide when trials become unsafe or that the risk outweighs the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

astrofool wrote: »
    The doctors will guide you through, I would avoid self diagnosing the issue and thinking it's related to oestrogen and progesterone, there is plenty of people on HRT getting supplements and no issues seen at that level, let the doctors and scientists do the studies and listen to their advice.

Yeah... my referring hospital will be the maternity hospital so if it is AZ I will be assigned (I have no confirmation which vaccine I’ll get yet) then I would assume they deem it safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well it's quite easy to avoid covid for me, just keep doing all the necessary. I always carry hand sanitizer and goggles, I social distance, wear a mask, and goggles if necessary, I wash my hands as soon as I get an opportunity. My family hasn't had any difficulty with being stuck together during this. I take vitamin d every morning, I eat oranges everyday so get loads of vitamin c too.
    I'm pretty confident I can avoid contracting covid for as long as is necessary. I'd consider my chances of contracting it as very low, probably as low as that of having issues with AZ.
    If I contract covid it's my own fault for not being cateful, if I take this drug and have serious complications then it's my fault for taking it.

So let’s say you don’t get a choice in the future after saying no the the AZ vaccine? Are you going to live like a hermit forever? Just being hypothetical here!

lbj666 wrote: »
    All the reports indicate they are rare, just cause you see more reports of it being rare doesn't make it less rare.

Its a handful in few million, when narrowed down to specific groups ie young women at worst would be around the 1 in 100,000s we will see what the studies show.

Your risk of getting covid and having a serious illness from it due to your unlying condition are far shorter than that by a decimal place or two maybe more.

You are also going to have to double down your efforts to avoid infection because as society opens up far higher infection levels can be tolerated before health service is impacted to the same degree as before. You may try and look after yourself but the world around you wont looking out for you the same they have in the past year.

I agree the herd will move on from here on in.

Getting the vaccine allows a person to move with the herd.

I don't want to be in that group below:

https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/mental-health/locked-in-after-lockdown-agoraphobia-will-be-a-new-normal-for-some-40278773.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

That post doesn't come across as being smug whatsoever

• Advertisement

Im in my 40's with no underlying health conditions.

1000 to 1 chance of dieing of covid per Leo or probably less as that includes people with underlying and no underlying. Say its 2000 or even 3000 to 1. For me Im being careful to avoid this too in the short term. Mostly because I know vaccination is around corner. To keep this level of restrictions any longer than I need to (until fully protected with any vaccine) for me is a non runner. As another poster said people will move on and in my view expect everyone else to. No man is an island and to try to act like that when 90% of population are not doing it will be alot more difficult than now. To me there is a cost to your lifes enjoyment living as we are currently. Vaccination allows us to return close to 2019 living. Good enough for me. Sure maybe you'll benefit from herd immunity.

Micky 32 wrote:
    It’s like trying to convince someone who’s afraid of flying how safe it is but they’ll drive all day in a car with no issues where you’re most likely to die.
    No it's nothing like that, it's risk assessment. I'm confident I can avoid contracting the virus and I'm not risking my health taking a vaccine that the EMA have admitted is related to blood clotting and which they are still studying to decide if it's still safer to take it than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I know some people, like you who did everything by the book and still caught the virus. To this day they are stumped ( including myself had me wondering) how they caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Sweet Jesus, I'm all for adhering to social distancing and taking the necessary precautions but fookin goggles? haven't seen a person yet wearing them.

Cork2021 wrote:
    So let’s say you don’t get a choice in the future after saying no the the AZ vaccine? Are you going to live like a hermit forever? Just being hypothetical here!
    I've no intention of staying vaccine free forever.
    I'll get it one way or the other. In time AZ may sort out these issues.
    I'm willing to wait for now. Nothing much is going to change in the next six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

mollser wrote: »
    Cool - haven't seen it mentioned. It does make a lot of sense though, would be great if they could understand more and quickly

The Norwegians have said it is due to an anyibody response that occurs in some women ,which does not appear to have anything to do with HRT or contraceptive pill.
    It is an extremely rare occurrence to have a sagittal sinus thrombosis in everyday medicine , not the usual type of thrombosis that happens with any form of hormone treatment, and certainly not with reduced platelets also .
    Common clot formations are pulmonary embolism (lung )or in the lower leg .
    Whatever this is , it is not a common thrombosis, and there is some sort of inflammatory response triggering it , like vasculitis. , or other autoimmune disease .

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I know some people, like you who did everything by the book and still caught the virus. To this day they are stumped ( including myself had me wondering) how they caught it.

Exactly your probability of catching this is not a moral one. Good people who obey rules dont catch virus. Bad people who have house parties do. Its just science/risk/luck/circumstances and being sensible thrown in there too. I think it is a mistake for anyone to say I cant catch covid. I try not to judge if i hear of someone i know catches it. It could be me next week and other people simply have to accept much higher risk. HCW before vaccination. You hope you wont and being sensible obviously helps. Given governments policy of vaccination anyone over 20 in my book should take a vaccine. If people under 30 or women under 50 are advised not to take Astra unless non other available so be it. Personally I would take Astra in the morning. Risk of advserse outcome of taking it for me in my view miniscule.As ema say the risk ratio of taking is very much in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just because Pfizer has done a trial doesn't mean others just stop. Likely to need multiple suppliers in younger age groups as well.

I've no doubt the trials will continue when regulators allow.

As for the vaccine not being critical, that's just silly, of course it's going to be a crucial vaccine (why wouldn't it be ) for multiple countries and continents, not to mention COVAX when rolling out to adults and in time children
    AstraZeneca is arguably THE most critical vaccine. COVAX forecasts 300 million AZ doses vs 1 million Pfizer doses this year alone.
    Pfizer for a number of reasons isn't very practical for much of the world. Price, storage and transport requirements all will cause issues. AZ have their problems but they're the only ones supplying at cost, is easily stored and they are currently carrying most of the burden for the COVAX programme. Regulators decide when trials become unsafe or that the risk outweighs the benefit.

I've no problem with AZ being used for older people and for all males.
    But the reasons you give above read like, "the trials will resume because the vaccine is needed".
    Almost as if the reasons for the pause are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

But the reasons you give above read like, "the trials will resume because the vaccine is needed".

Trials resume when the regulators say so it's as simple as that really.

If they say yes go ahead then the trial of 200 that is running on Children goes ahead.

You've claimed AZ isn't a critical vaccine for younger cohorts because Pfizer already have conducted a trial when it clearly is for the multiple reasons pointed out. Hence why trials are very important & the sooner they're allowed to resume (once regulators are satisfied) the better

The trials will resume because the benefits will still outweigh the risks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

nocoverart wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, I'm all for adhering to social distancing and taking the necessary precautions but fookin goggles? haven't seen a person yet wearing them.
    Got to hand it to Eagle he is unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

Would you be ok with it if you had a teenage daughter taking part in the trial?

I would to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Got to hand it to Eagle he is unique.

Reminds of another poster who is shell we say away with the fairies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You should probably look into what can cause blood clots in teenage girls, you'd never let them out of their room. (which could cause blood clots due to lack of activity)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

nocoverart wrote: »

I've never seen anyone in goggles. I'd imagine everyone you meet would stare at you, I certainly would!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

This thread is going to downhill it's about vaccines and not about medical advice or guessing what's causing blood clots or people asking what happens if I don't want this vaccine. Talk to your doctor or the expert at the vaccine centre not boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That maybe so .
    But there are increasingly more worried about AZ ,mainly women, as these seem to be more affected proportionately than men .
    It would have been infinitely more reassuring if the EMA had come out with an advisory about using this vaccine in those under a certain age , instead of the very quick reaffirmation , a few weeks ago .
    It has been unhelpful for those who are educating patients as to risks and side effects.
    I know some of the group 4 patients are worried getting it now and staff are finding it more difficult to credibly advise these patients to go ahead with their AZ shots .

Most have no problem with it and are delighted to be getting vaccinated , but I do sympathise with those who are concerned about the risks which although they maybe small are nonetheless now a valid concern .
    And these patients would have been thrilled to be getting vaccinated prior to this as they have been cocooning for the last year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Most have no problem with it and are delighted to be getting vaccinated , but I do sympathise with those who are concerned about the risks which although they maybe small are nonetheless now a valid concern .
    I hate to sound harsh, but there's only so much we can do for people. They're in group 4 because they are at high risk and they're being offered a vaccine. The stats are convincing that they are at much more danger from Covid than any possible risk from the vaccine, and there's only so much our medical staff can be expected to do to convince them.

Where I think it gets more difficult is when we get into the "non-vulnerable" groups and you start trying to vaccinate people who have a risk of Covid which may be similar to risk of blood clots from a vaccine. You perhaps start weighing up risk of long-Covid? There may be an ethical issue at that point, and hopefully more information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement